Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cornerstone - For geriatric gamers

Quote Originally Posted by Madican View Post
    Do you guys take whippersnappers in their mid-20's?
    We can make exceptions :P

Quote Originally Posted by DuHolt View Post
    I'm 31 years old and apparently my youth has slipped away from me. So after reading about this guild I'm faced with a very difficult decision. I must now decide whether I should keep my collector tier or cancel it so I'll have $$$ to put down on a mobility scooter.
    Go with the scooter. It will impress the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by opaopa13 View Post
    That said, I do love the theory, and do love optimizing, and definitely want to know that when I do make time to log on, there'll be someone there to draft / raid with. I also don't mind losing / being told my deck sucks, as long as you can tell me how to improve! I'm going to admit that the PvE dungeons have really piqued my interest, even if they won't offer the serious gaming that PvP will.

I think I'm going to buy in at the King level, for the daily Spectral Lotus income.

I hope I'm the kind of player you're looking for!
    I think you found the right home! Also, I will have a 4x Spectral Lotus daily income, just in-case anyone runs short. Happy to share.

Runt of the Litter
    Go with the scooter. It will impress the ladies.
    I recently bought a Prius, if i started unloading a mobility scooter from it I'd have to start knocking them away with a cane

I recently bought a Prius, if i started unloading a mobility scooter from it I'd have to start knocking them away with a cane
    Why would you need a scooter then. A Prius can nearly fit on the sidewalk.
    You are from Chicago. You are not allowed to drive hippie mobiles.

Runt of the Litter
    You are from Chicago. You are not allowed to drive hippie mobiles.
    Some of the highest gas prices in the country forced that move... got rid of my gas guzzling pickup truck for it. I liked the truck, but $100 to fill it up and it didn't last got old fast. But I'll try not to sidetrack this post any more, I really like the concept of "older" gamers banding together.

Some of the highest gas prices in the country forced that move... got rid of my gas guzzling pickup truck for it. I liked the truck, but $100 to fill it up and it didn't last got old fast. But I'll try not to sidetrack this post any more, I really like the concept of "older" gamers banding together.
    While 30 isn't that old. Yeah, a fun concept, as the gamer generation ages. There should be quite a few of us.

Nice intro! I am interested, and most likely my friend too.
    I was planning on waiting till Alpha/Beta started before joining a guild but this seems like a good fit so why wait. . .

I am 33, single, and no kids. Unfortunately East Coast, so won't be able to stay up till 3 am on weekdays, damned work.
    Snagged Pro Player and Dungeon Crawler, plan to do pvp and pve.

TCG's I started around Magic 4ed, but did not play for very long was too costly a hobby at the time. Later played some WOW TCG. Nothing serious, just with friends.
    Lots of Board and Role Playing games, I might be a min/maxer.
    MMO's too many to list, started with Ultima Online and last played The Secret World and Firefall (beta, still semi-active).

I have a suggestion, since no forums, how about a Steam Group? They already announced plans to support Steam overlay. Groups have a discussion area, should work as forums. Can set up events on a Calendar and send announcements out for major news. So can still keep in touch, and it is better than a website no one ever checks or is blocked at work.

Might be able to play other games together too, while waiting on Hex alpha. Natural Selection 2 is my game of choice atm.

Howdy. I would be the friend that wi2ard is referring too.

I like where your guild seems to be going, and think it would be a good place to put in some roots.

I'm also 33, single, kidless, and have a full time job. East coast, but my work schedule is all over the place, so my gaming hours are, as well. I pledged for a GK and King, and plan on doing everything, though probably with a little more emphasis on PvE.

Most of my TCG experience is with Pokemon, played that for a while in my college years and had an absolute blast with it. Sadly, when my friend who was also playing stopped, I did too. I live in the middle of nowhere, so an all digital TCG has massive appeal for me. I also played some of the WoWTCG, that was a good time, too.

I'm a giant nerd, so, I enjoy all manner of board game and table-top RPG's. My MMO experience is also all over the place, but I spent many years in WoW, primarily as a raid leader.

Deck building is something I really look forward to. I'm not a pro, but strategy, theorycraft, and optimization are all very fun, for me. And I love that we're going to have the guild space for easier collaboration on various decks. Frankly, the whole game is exciting, and having a strong community will only make it better.

Hey, there whippersnappers. I like the cut of your jib, but can I send you this missive by autogyro?

I have the distinction of being both older and less experienced than most of the folk who've posted on your thread so far. 41, married, no kids, just a geriatric cat and two lazy rats. I'm in between jobs at the moment and using the down time to write speculative fiction, so my schedule is flexible.

I just pitched in to the KS at the eleventh hour (literally, there were eleven hours left in the campaign!) at the King level, but I haven't played a TCG since the early Magic days. I lost interest somewhere around the Arabian Nights series, IIRC. I'm mainly interested in the PvE aspects of HEX, but I wouldn't mind dipping my toes into other areas of the pool if I had some fun companions to do it with. And I'm sure I could use lots of pointers to get up to speed on the state of the craft.

Hobby-wise, I am primarily a tabletop RPG player, although my most recent regular gaming group fell apart a couple of years ago. (Too much real life getting in the way.) I enjoy board and card games as well. My experience with MMOs is nill.

I'm a little worried that my general n00bieness would hold back any guild I joined, but I'd really like to give it a try, and you fellows sound more my speed than a bunch of testosterone-fueled twitch gamers.

Hi Wi2ard and Magiul,
    Glad you found this and are interested.

To Wi2ard - a Steam Group sounds great. If we have a larger backing, I may even consider throwing a website up (we had one years ago for Guild Wars) Barkam and I are currently doing all of our brainstorming on Steam. If you want to add me on steam, I am there as nicosharp (with a photo of Gragas' belly: ) <-- PS, I look nothing like this!

I started playing magic around the same time, close to 3rd edition / Revised and Fallen Empire when I was getting serious.

Also I was following NS2 for the longest time and was a early backer for them. My friend, Eviljoul, I had gifted my free 2nd backer copy, and he went on to be top on ladder for a long time at launch. Natural Selection 1 was one of my all-time favorite games, just never gave enough time to 2 yet.

To Magiul - Your leadership experience for WOW sounds similar to Barkam's and my own for Guild Wars, although ours is on a smaller scale. That strategic thinking needed to lead large groups will be very important to deck building for raids. It is too bad raids will start out as only being 3 players max, but who knows what modes will be available in time. We will have a blast throwing ideas around and tuning.

It is fair to say all of us are giant nerds in some regard. I like to think of myself as a closest nerd, but my wife would disagree.

I don't think the East Coast time will be a barrier for this game, and it has never been an issue in the past for people we have played with around the globe. When we plan big guild events, or something in game is going down, we will definitely work with everyone's schedules to find a good time.
    Last edited by nicosharp; 06-07-2013 at 03:42 AM.

@LogicMouse, Don't be too concerned about holding anyone back. Hex isn't going to operate in quite the same sense as a traditional MMO. You won't be able to really hold other people back per se, more than likely even the small actions you take will have some nifty benefits for your guildmates.

Glad you guys are getting some attention there Nico. Any thoughts about putting together a website? Err... seems like you mentioned you might be considering it.
    Visit Youtube: FunktionFails & Twitch: FunktionFails for hex based videos, articles and more.
    Find me on twitter @FunktionFails

Less fail, more funktion!