Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cornerstone - For geriatric gamers

Quote Originally Posted by LogicMouse View Post
    Hey, there whippersnappers. I like the cut of your jib, but can I send you this missive by autogyro?

I have the distinction of being both older and less experienced than most of the folk who've posted on your thread so far. 41, married, no kids, just a geriatric cat and two lazy rats. I'm in between jobs at the moment and using the down time to write speculative fiction, so my schedule is flexible.

I just pitched in to the KS at the eleventh hour (literally, there were eleven hours left in the campaign!) at the King level, but I haven't played a TCG since the early Magic days. I lost interest somewhere around the Arabian Nights series, IIRC. I'm mainly interested in the PvE aspects of HEX, but I wouldn't mind dipping my toes into other areas of the pool if I had some fun companions to do it with. And I'm sure I could use lots of pointers to get up to speed on the state of the craft.

Hobby-wise, I am primarily a tabletop RPG player, although my most recent regular gaming group fell apart a couple of years ago. (Too much real life getting in the way.) I enjoy board and card games as well. My experience with MMOs is nill.

I'm a little worried that my general n00bieness would hold back any guild I joined, but I'd really like to give it a try, and you fellows sound more my speed than a bunch of testosterone-fueled twitch gamers.
    Awesome - Totally missed your post while responding. Barkam and I are trained in managing noobieness, so it will not hold us back.

The PvE aspects in this game are too hard to ignore. Equipment makes such a huge impact on how you can deck build. I know I will dump a lot of time into chasing equipment for decks I am interested in creating, and leveling heroes so I have several viable deck choices going into raids.

Man, I was so jealous of a few people that I played magic with that had some of the cooler, and pricey Arabian Nights cards (a bit before I started, and when I was very young.) You definitely have a bit more old schooler in you, but that can only be a good thing. Everyone's background being diverse lends more to a game where you can collectively design decks.

I'm glad you found the KS before it fizzles.
    Last edited by nicosharp; 06-07-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by funktion View Post
    @LogicMouse, Don't be too concerned about holding anyone back. Hex isn't going to operate in quite the same sense as a traditional MMO. You won't be able to really hold other people back per se, more than likely even the small actions you take will have some nifty benefits for your guildmates.

Glad you guys are getting some attention there Nico. Any thoughts about putting together a website? Err... seems like you mentioned you might be considering it.
    Totally agree with your response to Logicmouse.

It may be a good time to brush up my web design skills... I will look into a website. Honestly, I didn't expect this much early interest! That is great. If anyone interested wants to take a stab at this, that has the time and the expertise, feel free, and I or the guild collectively will make sure the funds are there to pay for the hosting.

I will get the chat server up this weekend, so we can at least have one meeting place. I'd rather it not be public, so will probably share that info through steam chat or private message once established.
    Last edited by nicosharp; 06-07-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Eh? What's that? Corner phone? No, they took that out years ago. Old Sam still has a pay phone at this shop down the road.

A Grilled you say? Well, there's an old charcol grill out back and I think there's a smoker somewhere 'round here. Don't know why you need a whole bunch of people though.

Digital Collectible Card Game? Son, you better watch it with that kinda commie pinko talk around here...

Greetings members and prospective members of The Cornerstone! I'm a 39 year old feller from Nashville with a wife, 3 kids (almost all out of the house now), a granddaughter, 2 dogs. And a live-in mother-in-law. And fair stock of intoxicating libations. The prior two sentences are rather connected.

My job requires Sunday/Monday to Thursday travel so my gaming is generally restricted to Tuesday/Wed/Friday evening and some Saturday afternoon action.

I'm new to the whole TCG world, but I've been playing a few on my iPad - those they seem to be more standard deck-building from pre-set collections - no experience with drafts in other words.

That said, the theorycrafting aspect of Hex is definitely an exciting prospect - though there is a whole new vocab to understand!

If you don't mind a relative noob in your ranks, I'd definitely be interested in joining your cohort.

I'm turning 30 next month and getting married in September. She'll probably join with me

I'm interested as well, 38, kids, etc. The only thing that sucks is my main gaming time probably won't match up with the main leaders. I've definitely got the web skills though if you want to setup a website, including free hosting off my own hosting company. PM me with details on how you want to proceed on that!

I am young at heart but my balls look old as unicornpoop. Do I qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by jonathonwood View Post
    And a live-in mother-in-law. And fair stock of intoxicating libations. The prior two sentences are rather connected.

If you don't mind a relative noob in your ranks, I'd definitely be interested in joining your cohort.
    I think we all have a little noob in us. I don't think I could cohabitate with my mother-in-law. I can send you some bomb absinthe to cope. The wife and I enjoy our libations :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultros View Post
    I'm turning 30 next month and getting married in September. She'll probably join with me
    Perfect, and congrats! Would be great to have you both. I think we will end up with a pretty chill cool group, with a well-rounded spectrum of play preferences. I am going to love chilling out-back on my tablet gaming in the sun with a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by hexinggems View Post
    I'm interested as well, 38, kids, etc. The only thing that sucks is my main gaming time probably won't match up with the main leaders. I've definitely got the web skills though if you want to setup a website, including free hosting off my own hosting company. PM me with details on how you want to proceed on that!
    That would be awesome hexinggems!
    Where are you from, (or what timezone), and what would your main gaming times be? I get pretty entrenched in one game that enamors me, so my play time will be stretched by my compulsiveness.
    We definitely need to touch-base. I am all about giving the person doing the work the creative control, but Barkam and I could help draft a layout / etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OmarEpps View Post
    I am young at heart but my balls look old as unicornpoop. Do I qualify?
    Only if you webcam your balls during play sessions so we can validate your age. On second thought, please no. Just webcam your heart instead.
    Last edited by nicosharp; 06-07-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Well I thought I was never going to sign up for the forums but I was really impressed with the pitch. In most of my time spent gaming I have never had the urge to join a guild until now.

If you guys have space I would love to join. I've been playing Magic(standard) for almost a year and have started in the past couple of months getting in to the financial aspect of the game. That's why I decided to grab the tier that shall not be named after I started with the champion tier.

Hopefully I can help where needed and learn a few things along the way if you'll have me.

Located on the East Coast.
    Last edited by GamingAnomaly; 06-07-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GamingAnomaly View Post
    Well I thought I was never going to sign up for the forums but I was really impressed with the pitch. In most of my time spent gaming I have never had the urge to join a guild until now.

If you guys have space I would love to join. I've been playing Magic(standard) for almost a year and have started in the past couple of months getting in to the financial aspect of the game. That's why I decided to grab the tier that shall not be named after I started with the champion tier.

Hopefully I can help where needed and learn a few things along the way if you'll have me.

Located on the East Coast.
    Man, you created a forum account just for us. We can't turn you down.
    I talked myself from a King pledge, which I already thought was insane, to pro-player that I couldn't snipe. After the frustration of being unable to snag pro-player, and seeing more of the game revealed, I noticed that GK was disappearing. I went to grab the last of 3 GK's and they were snatched up... I was then on a mission.. Luckily for me, it was early in the kickstarter, and 15 minutes of F5 refreshing got me the GK I wanted. After that, I grabbed another Collector, and then bought a King for a friend. Based on what I've spent on WOWTCG over the course of 3 years, this investment is wise. Whatever you ended up pledging, you can easily and comfortably validate it.

You should have seen what Barkam was going through to try and get a GK.. Crazy.

I'll work on the Vent server to have up by tomorrow afternoon. I might send you guys PM's with the info, once it is up and running we can use it to talk shop. I don't expect many people wanting to talk or think about the game until alpha. It will be a long 3 months.
    Last edited by nicosharp; 06-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    That would be awesome hexinggems!
    Where are you from, (or what timezone), and what would your main gaming times be? I get pretty entrenched in one game that enamors me, so my play time will be stretched by my compulsiveness.
    We definitely need to touch-base. I am all about giving the person doing the work the creative control, but Barkam and I could help draft a layout / etc.
    I'm on the East Coast, but with the kiddies and stuff, can only play a little at night. My major playing time will likely be very early EST before work like 5-7AM EST! Who knows though, I might take some abuse from the wife if we end up raiding PM me for working out a site. If you register a domain, I can setup an account with my host. My own site is a sample of what I can throw together quickly (http://www.hexinggems.com)
    Cornerstone - For geriatric gamers

HexMine.com - Premier card database site