Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Staying one step ahead: Provide Translation.

Quote Originally Posted by FranzVonG View Post
    You can usually do a decent translation with crowd-sourcing if you take two steps before:

- appoint a "translator leader" (maybe paid with in-game currency/booster) to finalize and approve the translations
    - create a glossary before giving the actual content to translate, to have an harmonized translation

Also, being the game digital, what you write on the card does not change its actual use within the system, so gamers will easily spot wrongly translated cards
    Yerp. Crowdsourcing doesn't necessarily mean "complete free for all." Look at how goddamn effective Wikipedia is. Each section has a few experts in charge of maintaining accuracy and sorta proofreading everything, but everyone can contribute and its become the best store of all human knowledge.

I'm actually really glad to see this thread this big already. It shows support for something that would improve the game and the player base even thought not all players will likely use it. This is a very good sign actually, shows an invested player based interested in having a good environment to play a good game.

All the more reason to do it, i guess.

Pulse Esports (My company) has a handful of interested and multi-lingual staff who can assist. We have people who speak Chinese, German, Swedish, and others as well. So, if Cryptozoic is interested we'd be happy to work out a way to pitch into the effort

EDIT - I'm an idiot and keep forgetting to clarify things to avoid confusion.

I'll volunteer my services for a translation to Portuguese - I'm not a professional translator (by which I mean I don't get paid to do the ones I do), but Portuguese IS my first language.

Quote Originally Posted by blakegrandon View Post
    It'll still be cloned, because companies and people will still try to make a profit by making it cheaper or free.

Localization isn't as simple as allowing people to crowdsource translate it, you would need to allow people the ability to "edit" the game on some level or have a platform where they can change the cards. Then you need people to go through and vet each card, making sure someone didn't slip something in. It would one person with a botnet to insert a card and "crowd" vet it to lead to embarrassment for Cryptozoic.

I wish Localization/translation was easier, but unfortunately due to there being so many languages it's easier to add it afterwards than it is to start with it.
    This is not necessarily true. All they really need to do is make a form where people can go in, apply the proper definitions to the card shown, and then view other people's submissions to the same card. This allows the general populace to vet the accuracy so it will limit the amount of policing Crypto actually has to do. If a submission is reported, then they have to check it. If not, and it's been observed by several accounts then it is likely fine and they wouldn't need the fine tooth comb.

Quote Originally Posted by JBento View Post
    I'll volunteer my services for a translation to Portuguese - I'm not a professional translator (by which I mean I don't get paid to do the ones I do), but Portuguese IS my first language.
    Wow! Thats nice! Brazilian portuguese or from Europe?

Btw, vai jogar como Ardent our Underworld?

PortuguÍs de Portugal.

Estou a pensar ir de Ardent.

I'm a translation professional myself, having worked for several companies as project manager and now I work as a freelance translator.

Here is my two cents.

To do a localization right, there must be several stages involved.

First, from the dev end, there must be somone in charge of a process called internationalization. That's the work of making the translations friendly, easier for the translators. This work involves setting the terminology right (elaboration of glossaries), avoiding use of different instances of the same sentence for saying the same thing (which is actually done in cards), and stuff like making identificators localization friendly (which is a stage that it's not done in 90% of the games localized and that would help increasing the quality of the translations a lot).

For example, in dungeon 1, character lines could be like this:
    Dungeon_1_Shinhare_1 Hello.
    Dungeon_1_Dwarf_1 Hello. How are you?
    Dungeon_1_Shinhare_2 Fine, thanks.

Which in a translation end, would end up like this
    Dungeon_1_Dwarf_1 Hello. How are you?
    Dungeon_1_Shinhare_1 Hello.
    Dungeon_1_Shinhare_2 Fine, thanks.

Because a good order wouldn't be provided. A game of this nature needs a good internationalization stage, because of the branching nature of the dungeons. Also, there are a lot of things that must be taken account (as in any MMO). For example, variables if the player is male or female, see if socketing causes gender problems (perhaps a sword with a gem of fire changes to a fire sword, and the game has the word fire in one side and the word sword in the other, which causes problems when you have a fire shield), etc.
    Also, the internationalization guy is the one providing support to the localization stage, and answers to any questions that the translations may face during translation.

After that, you have the translators.
    Crowdsourcing is never going to be a good option, if you want to do it professionally. Why? Because in this game, to do it cost-efficiently with quality, you'll need translators that can and should make good use of CAT tools, computer assisted tools. In those cat tools you'll have termbases (which will have a glossary of all those things needed), translation memories and QA Tools. Those three are absolutely needed in a game of this characteristics, because it ensures consistency. I'm not saying that it's a one-man work (which in an RPG is absolutely insane inviable), but a well-oiled team with several stages involved and that are capable of using those cat tools is necessary. Translators with constant communication, one proofreader that ensures that everything is alright, etc. etc.

Moreover, there is an added problem with crowdsourcing: confidential information can be leaked and will be leaked without penalty for the leaker.

Then there is another stage, and that's Localization Testing and Quality Assurance. Assurance that Guideline terms for Apple, Android, Windows Phone, are respected, seeing that no translation goes beyond space constraints, issues like double-spaces, typos, etc. ensuring that there are no profanities...

All in all... As a user, and as a professional... I wouldn't go crowdsourcing.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. A game like HEX TCG, so community dependant, would need people working for the community... So no language-community "dies" and to ensure that everyone behaves correctly...

Not to mention a lot of added problems for the internationalization side. If there are multiplayer raids or dungeons... Are the spanish speaking people only paired with spanish speaking players? How will three players from different countries and different languages selected going to co-operate?