Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which tier to pledge? New to TCGs

Which tier to pledge? New to TCGs

Hey all,

I realize this is coming down to the wire, but I know I want to pledge some amount. The question is which tier?

Let me start with saying I've NEVER played a TCG before, physical or virtual. Second, I'm not sure how much time I will be willing to dedicate to the game come release (I'll be started grad school). But my gamer said is saying spend some decent money and get the King Tier. I honestly feel like it's a great value and gives you tons to start with. But my logical and frugal side is saying go with something much less expensive like the Champion Tier. That was I won't feel too invested in the game if I don't enjoy it as much I think I'm going to... But let's be honest, I'm really excited for the potential of this game and I've never even played a TCG before.

Now with all that said, how much a difference for a casual (maybe one day more hardcore) player are the different reward tiers going to make say 3, 6, even a year into the game. As I understand the nature of TCGs, they change over time as new sets are published. Therefore the kickstarter perks going to be worth much in say 6 months to a year? Also, how much of an advantage are some cards (like the Spectral Lotus) going to give players in matches. Will better loot eventually replace some kickstarter rewards?
    The only MMO I've played is WoW, and the progressive nature of the game made old loot obsolete pretty quickly... Which is something I'm afraid of and why I'm hesitant of putting down $120 vs just $35. But if those same cards/loot are going to valuable down the road then I can justify the investment.

I know in the end it comes down to what I'm willing to put down in cash, but I'm hoping the community can help me make a more informed decision. I really love what HEX might become, but I am trying to be rational about this pledge as well. Let's just say I'm not willing to go into the $250 tiers for something I've never experienced for myself.

Thanks HEX community. I look forward to your responses!

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    If you're not sure about it at all, go for the $20 tier. It'll back the game, get you some free stuff, and give you Alpha and Beta access.

I wouldn't back over the $50 tier if you're not sure you're going to be playing for even a year.
    Hex TCG Kickstarter Backer - Dungeon Crawler and Collector
    http://raptr.com/badge/larryhl/fs_overall.png

Depends how much money you are willing to invest. I've talked myself into spending more money than I should have but the rewards are just so enticing and I am confident I will save money in the long run. That said I am confident I will enjoy the game for some time as I've played other TCGs and I have confidence in the team developing it.

If I was in your position though the choice would be much more difficult. I wouldn't spend the hundreds of dollars I have if I wasn't as confident in the end product or if I was new to tcgs. It needs to be said though that TCGs are expensive and the rewards are lucrative so you could well save money but than again if you find you don't like TCGs you may well waste it.

I cannot give you an answer sorry and I don't think it wise to expect other people to be able to judge better than yourself. If you insist on asking others though I think you should give people an idea of how much money you'd pour into other games for a certain time so they can attempt to way up how much your entertainment is worth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by larryhl View Post
    If you're not sure about it at all, go for the $20 tier. It'll back the game, get you some free stuff, and give you Alpha and Beta access.

I wouldn't back over the $50 tier if you're not sure you're going to be playing for even a year.
    I know I want to give the game a solid shot past the beta and into live play, but I am still somewhat hesitant since I have never played a TCG before. With that being said, if the community is solid and gameplay is compelling I can see myself going for at least the next 2 years or so. I like the $50 price cap idea, but it's so tempting to put in just a bit more cash for so many more rewards. Especially things like Primal Packs & the VIP program.

I suppose I'm more sure about this game then I let on in my original post. But I guess if I'm not a TCG guy then it's over for me.

If you pledge king, and you dont like the game is more than likely that you will be able to sell your Lotus Garden and get some of the money back. Or just log everyday to sell Lotus to get your investment back (it may take more than a while, this way)
    The First Rule About Collectors Is You Do Not Talk About Collectors

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Unfortunately you have only slightly over a day to decide how much you actually like TCGs...

At this point I'd recommend going on a Flash game site (I recommend Kongregate.com) and trying out the TCG/CCG games they have there, like Kingdoms CCG, Ederon Trading Card Game, Mytheria, Hidden Dimensions, Elements, and Spectromancer. I give you this list because they encompass all different kinds of gameplay, but they are all strongly affiliated with the TCG genre and all have pretty decent tutorials/easy learning curve.
    Hex TCG Kickstarter Backer - Dungeon Crawler and Collector
    http://raptr.com/badge/larryhl/fs_overall.png

You're in kind of a tight spot. If this was earlier in the kickstarter, I'd say try out some other TCG to get a feel for the general nature of the game (Duel of the Planeswalkers explains the mechanics fairly well, even if it's very sub-par when it comes to deckbuilding), but seeing as there's less than 2 days left on the kickstarter, that's not really an option.

One thing to add, though: None of the kickstarter exclusives are going to give players any advantage in PvP matches, as the exclusive cards are all PvE only. So, while spectral lotus might seem very powerful, keep in mind you're only going to be able to use it against AI opponents (or in the wild west tournaments, but those will be over the top anyways and, I believe, not really competitive in any case).

With that being said, I'd still say go in at the king level, if you got the money to spare. It really is great value, and if push comes to shove and you find out you really dislike TCGs, I believe you'll be able to sell the account fairly easily once the game picked up speed and some non-KS-backer players (keep in mind though, I'm generally against selling accounts; in your situation, however, it's probably acceptable)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmono View Post
    Depends how much money you are willing to invest. I've talked myself into spending more money than I should have but the rewards are just so enticing and I am confident I will save money in the long run. That said I am confident I will enjoy the game for some time as I've played other TCGs and I have confidence in the team developing it.

If I was in your position though the choice would be much more difficult. I wouldn't spend the hundreds of dollars I have if I wasn't as confident in the end product or if I was new to tcgs. It needs to be said though that TCGs are expensive and the rewards are lucrative so you could well save money but than again if you find you don't like TCGs you may well waste it.

I cannot give you an answer sorry and I don't think it wise to expect other people to be able to judge better than yourself. If you insist on asking others though I think you should give people an idea of how much money you'd pour into other games for a certain time so they can attempt to way up how much your entertainment is worth to you.
    Thanks for the response. You're very right, I know myself better than anyone else here and therefore I'm not going to get a single "right" answer, and I understand that. I'm more looking for peoples thought on this game and it's prospects for people new to the TCG world. Is it going to entice a large number of people completely new to the genre, or is it tailored more towards the veterans? I'm just trying to get a discussion going. Hopefully helping others think through the same position I am in (and maybe gain some more backers in the process).

In terms of an actual dollar amount, I honestly wouldn't pay more than $65 at once on a game. The only way I could see myself spending more is for something like a subscription over time which I can activate and deactivate as I please. So maybe I should set my limit at that and see which tier I think is most valuable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by larryhl View Post
    Unfortunately you have only slightly over a day to decide how much you actually like TCGs...

At this point I'd recommend going on a Flash game site (I recommend Kongregate.com) and trying out the TCG/CCG games they have there, like Kingdoms CCG, Ederon Trading Card Game, Mytheria, Hidden Dimensions, Elements, and Spectromancer. I give you this list because they encompass all different kinds of gameplay, but they are all strongly affiliated with the TCG genre and all have pretty decent tutorials/easy learning curve.
    I will definitely give some of those a try tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Didn't think about trying others while I wait for HEX.
    Is Solforge a decent representation of online TCGs? I have that on my iPad.

Also, to the two people who noted I can either sell my daily lotus's or my Lotus Garden, is there going to be a RMAH equivalent in HEX? Guess I missed that aspect. If so, makes my decision a lot easier as I didn't think I'd be able to make ANY money back on the game.
    Last edited by Swerthy; 06-06-2013 at 01:02 AM.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably go somewhere between $20-65. If you're thinking of king but not certain, always remember that you can still spend money on the game later, and you're still getting a decent amount of value now.

Also if you're not sure another BIG factor is that right now you're only getting set 1 packs (sure a few more of the others with bonus's) from your pledge. Later on you might like set 5 more and would have rather spent the extra 50 dollars on that set instead.

I think you'll probably have fun with the game regardless of what you pledge. So pledge what you're comfortable with and don't feel like you're stretching your wallet.
    Visit Youtube: FunktionFails & Twitch: FunktionFails for hex based videos, articles and more.
    Find me on twitter @FunktionFails

Less fail, more funktion!