Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inquiry Please help

Inquiry Please help

Hey. I have no idea where to put this and I have not recieved a message back from Hex for the kickstarter.

Now, I'm pretty new so bear with me. Anything should be explained like to a 5 year old.

I have some questions concerning many things, especially Starter Decks.

Are the Starter Decks the same as Faction/race Decks in Hex? Are they competitive? I assume that there is only four (since that is the max on the kickstarter). Is there any specifics on these decks and what they do? Can you refrain on buying one for later sets that are released?

Since I read it is free to play, do you get one free deck when you register for hex (assuming you don't buy on the kickstarter)? I assume that if you buy any tier you don't get anything additional that you would if you just downloaded the game as a free player.

What is the difference between a booster pack and booster draft (I know this is a retarded question)?

How do sets works and blocks work? I read on the comment but since I'm not an avid card player it is hard to understand. What I got was a block has a certain them and mechanics that pertains to that system. Is that right. So Shards of Fate is Hex's first block? :/

While I find the whole "sandbox" thing to be quite interesting, I'm become very turned off by balance issues (stuff that is "broken"). Are both PvP and campaign going to be balanced? It just seems with all the cards/combos/etc balance and "fair game (or as fair as possible)" won't exist (especially in competitive play). Is there anything I can read on this issue?

Thanks for taking the time to read and address my concerns.
    Last edited by Zenman12; 06-06-2013 at 05:29 PM.

As far as I know they haven't released the exact specifics of all the starters decks.

The starter deck you receive for free with a free account is actually not one of the 4 you can buy for $10 and is also account bound so you can't trade any of the cards out of it.

Booster pack is just 1 pack of 15 cards, a booster draft is a game mode where you put up 3 booster packs, and pass them around for everyone to build decks from.

Sets are sets of cards that release together, they release in blocks, block 1 will be set 1,2,3 block 2 will be set 4,5,6.

Balance remains to be seen. However, crypto has been very good about balance with their other card games.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

I don't imagine the starter decks will be very competitive but they will give you all you need to play.
    You will be able to buy starter decks later but probably at a higher price.
    There is a database for the cards that are know already http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/decks.php
    You will be able to earn free cards via pve in which case a starter deck might be all you need to get going in pve. I wouldn't expect so in pvp.
    A booster pack is a normal pack of cards while a draft is a tournament you play in using three booster packs.
    I'm not sure about the blocks and sets but it has been mentioned in one of the streams I saw. I just forget the details.
    There is lots of information available in the stickies.
    That's all I can really help you with.

So the starter decks are only for the campaign and cannot be used in Pvp?

So the starter decks in the kickstarter are kickstarter exclusives as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenman12 View Post

No and no. The starter decks will be able to be used in PVP but I wouldn't expect them to be competitive. You will be able to buy other starter decks but taking away the rewards of the kickstarter it will be more expensive.

PS
    Apparently they are not the same starter decks for the kickstarter so I don't know, sorry.

The starter decks uses all PvP cards and will be usable in both PvP and PvE, but they will never be as powerful and a player-built deck.
    Grand King Backer

Starter decks: So they are starting point for you to create a deck, they are almost never competitive on their own. There will be four available on release, human, orc, shin'hare, and dwarf. That's about all the info we have on content. For your kickstarter reward you are limited to the ones available at release and cannot hold off for starter decks to be released later. You do get a starter deck for creating your account, but it will differ from the four mentioned previously. We do not know what the contents of that will be either.

Booster pack is a pack of 15 assorted cards, include 1 rare or legendary, and the rest as commons or uncommons. A booster draft is a game format where each person brings 3 booster backs, and they open 1 pack, pick one card, then pass it to the next person, repeat.

A set is one set of cards released in the same booster pack. For example, upon release there will be Set 1 available. When you buy a set 1 booster pack, only cards from that set will be included in the back. A block is a thematic grouping of 3 sets. Usually this means that in booster drafts, once all sets are released you will use 1 pack of Set 1, 1 pack of Set 2, and one pack of Set 3. There will be 3 sets released per year, or in other words, 1 block per year. Usually, to keep the environment interesting, constructed deck tournaments will have a "core" format, which consists of the two most recent blocks. Any card from an earlier block will not be allowed in that format. However, there will also be formats where you can use cards from any block in your deck.

In Hex, there is PvE and PvP. PvE has lots of crazy broken combos, but PvE is balanced against an AI that has access to unique cards and mechanics. In PvP, Hex will be a tournament grade TCG and tightly balanced. Cryptozoic currently creates and sells the World of Warcraft TCG. This is a very balanced TCG that holds tournaments across the world for prizes ranging around $10,000 or more. Hex is going to be produced the same way, so there should be no worry about balance in the PvP.

I have some questions concerning many things, especially Starter Decks.

Are the Starter Decks the same as Faction/race Decks in Hex? Are they compeitive? I assume that there is only four (since that is the max on the kickstarter). Is there any specifics on these decks and what they do? Can you hold off on buying one for later sets that are released?
    Nobody knows the actual content of the starter deck. Having said that, in any TCG that I have played the Starter deck is a good way to start but never competitive to the point where you can beat the players that play for tournament etc. Also, # of starter deck available is unclear at this point but some are predicting more than 4 others are thinking only 4. personally since we are focusing on only 4 of the 8 main races in set 1 and Cory Jones (President of Cryptozoic) stated starter deck will focus on the race, I think it is fair to think 4 are indeed the number of available starter decks.

Since I read it is free to play, do you get one free deck when you register for hex (assuming you don't buy on the kickstarter)? I assume that if you buy any tier you don't get anything additional that you would if you just downloaded the game as a free player.
    This is complex question but if you are talking about only going through mainly single player mode (called PvE in HEX), yes you can technically eventually get all PvE card by playing hours and hours. However, if you want to play a real TCG i.e. playing against other players with highly balanced cards like tournament etc. you will need PvP cards set which you can not get from PvE. So basically PvE is Free. PvP is not. Each booster pack containing PvP card costs $2, starter deck $10 and so on. So you are indeed buying actual digital material you have to pay for with pledge. And the amount you are getting is at least 3x of value if you were to get it when game launches and if everything sells at retail price.

What is the difference between a booster pack and booster draft (I know this is a retarded question)?
    Booster packs are 15 cards containing packs, which again you have to pay and buy. never from PvE. Booster draft is a type of game that you bring in 3 booster packs and other players brings in the same amount. Then build a deck from those and compete. Obviously, winners will get a prize. So packs is what you need to play draft. But you don't have to play draft with packs. You can just open on your own and make own deck and play with friend etc.

How do sets works and blocks work? I read on the comment but since I'm not an avid card player it is hard to understand. What I got was a block has a certain them and mechanics that pertains to that system. Is that right. So Shards of Fate is Hex's first block? :/
    Set means new cards every 4 months in this game. Block means 1 year woth of set i.e. 3 sets make up 1 block. Usually each block have some theme, and spread into 3 pieces.

Shard's of the Fate is a entire name of game. They have not officially announced the Set name nor block name yet.

While I find the whole "sandbox" thing to be quite interesting, I'm become very turned off by balance issues (stuff that is "broken"). Are both PvP and campaign going to be balanced? It just seems with all the cards/combos/etc balance and "fair game (or as fair as possible)" won't exist (especially in competitive play). Is there anything I can read on this issue?

Thanks for taking the time to read and address my concerns.
    PvP will be highly balanced hence used for competition. PvE cards are for fun, and probably in the world of campaign mode it is great but if you were to use them in competition environment they are broken because some are too strong. But remember in PvE, you want to have that strong combo experience. That is what makes "YES. I DID IT" moment.
    Once an observer then Pro Tier, and now Grand King Tier.

Previous TCG Experience: Eye of Judgment, Magic the Gathering, Carte, Shadow Era, Yu Gi Oh, Ascension, Infinity Wars
    Currently Playing: HEX, Spellweaver
    Looking forward to: Warlords of Terra, Labyrinth

English Blog: Digital Card Gamers English
    日本語サイト: Digital Card Gamers Japanese
    HEX Search Engine
    Spellweaver Search Engine

I probably know the answer to this but this question wasn't answered yet. If I made a pledge would I receive the bonus on top of what I would receive as a free registered person? Does anything stack in terms of rewards?

It just seems that if you buy for example, the squire, the value isn't as good since you would get a free starter set anyway...Any thoughts? What do you exactly get as a free person who didn't buy on kickstarter?

I'm assuming there is tourney placement to match those with equal skill sets? Or are noobs going to be placed against "experts?"

Thanks for all the quick answers by the way.
    Last edited by Zenman12; 06-06-2013 at 05:43 PM.

The starter you get from the KS is a better starter deck than the one you get for free.

They do *not* stack, meaning if you pledge at Squire, you will not get the free, untradeable starter.