Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duels where you can place a Bet

Duels where you can place a Bet

Something I always had fun doing as a sort of for fun thing was placing cards up for bets on duels (can include 2v2 etc). I was wondering what people thought of having it as an option where you could do something similar. Obviously it's a high stakes - high reward scenario, but it could also be used as a way for settling disputes among people/guilds etc. Just wondering what do you guys think about it?

Master Theorycrafter
    Might be fun, but even if they don't implement it surely you could set it up with someone in general - bet them whatever cards that you'll beat them in a duel, have the duel, then trade cards either way. Of course, it then requires both players to be honorable and keep their word, but that would also happen in the real world. :-3

It can be a grey area too. Remember when MTG had ante? They had to scrap that because it was gambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Derium View Post
    It can be a grey area too. Remember when MTG had ante? They had to scrap that because it was gambling.
    Is that why? I assumed they stopped it just because people hated it. Isn't Keep Defense essentially the same thing as an Honor (Bet) Duel? (It should definitely be called an Honor Duel.)
    - Backer of Hex (Quadra Grand King & Double Collector), SolForge, Shroud of the Avatar, and Underworld Ascendant.

Master Theorycrafter
    MTGO also gets around this with 2 person tournaments of specific formats and the entry fee is 2 tickets. Prize payout is 1 pack (value of 4 tickets). They could do a 1 Platinum entry with a payout of 1 Pack or something along those lines.

In almost all cases that you can manually set how much you want to wager, they find this to be gambling.

Devoted Emissary
    I really like this notion. An open format for players to choose the stakes... it has great potential.

Just like Punk said, as long as you "pay in", and there is a "prize" for the win. Then you're fine. It's just a heads up tournament. But if you both settle on a price, wager it and winner takes the money paid in, then it's gambling. It's a really stupid set of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedSol View Post
    Is that why? I assumed they stopped it just because people hated it. Isn't Keep Defense essentially the same thing as an Honor (Bet) Duel? (It should definitely be called an Honor Duel.)
    it was very unpopular, that's for sure. But they officially scrapped it once tournaments started happening. It would have been a nightmare for them to learn about each district and some stores would have had to apply for gaming licenses to run an MTG event. Yet paying in money, and winning store credit isn't gambling? Seriously, as I said in my previous post. Really stupid set of laws.

Well in terms of the betting usually for house rules it involved putting a Rare card that the other party would accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Derium View Post
    That was my first thought too.

Could it happen with Gold or Plat?