Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Make EVERYTHING tradeable

The Transcended

Make EVERYTHING tradeable

Quote Originally Posted by archived thread at rpgwatch.com
    I've never really understood why this subject is so controversial. For the vast majority of us, game playing is a huge timesink. If we get the chance to actually make a few dollars off it once in a blue moon, how can you possibly think that's a problem?

More broadly, if something (anything) is of more value to a buyer than it is to its owner, than it should be sold to the person who values it more. This is the fundamental tenet of utility maximization. I hope we all accept that people shouldn't be forced to sell and people shouldn't be forced to buy. Well the same logic that supports that (correct) position equally supports this one: people shouldn't be forced to hold things instead of selling, and people shouldn't be prohibited from buying. Inevitably, a prohibition against the selling of something that has value creates black markets, creates arbitrary distinctions between what you can and can't do or sell, creates shams and deceit to get around the rules.

Does a TOS say that items or accounts can't be sold? That's great, but who cares? How does that speak to the question of whether players should be allowed to decide the value he puts on his virtual labors? The question of should selling be allowed can't be decided by an examination of whether it's allowed. I mean, duh. That would be like in the 60s looking to discrimination and saying, Should this exist? And then looking at the law in Alabama and seeing that it's legal, and saying Now we know the answer is Yes it should.
    I would support a change that lets you trade ANYTHING in the game. With mercs and champions it would be easy to set up. For less obvious things you could just tokenize them, similar to the Spectral Lotus Garden. For example, if you have Pro Player drafts, make it into a token that you can trade. If you have the token in your inventory, then you have the Pro Player bonus. Similarly, if you have the DC or RL bonus, it could be a token. Same with the Collector Alternate Art income, Producer set collection, etc.

To prevent abuse, like guilds sharing the RL bonus by passing it around, there would be a 1 month cooldown after every trade of these special items.

Tokens of a particular type would not stack unless CZE wants them too. (Rumor is that Pro Player will stack. DC and RL should not.)

No worries about account hacking; they can just roll back the transactions.

Update: nearlysober has pointed out that CZE already promised that the $250+ rewards would not be tradeable, so that's out. That leaves sleeves and mercs. Most people seem fine with letting sleeves be account bound. Mercs, not so much. If Mercs are allowed to go on the AH (I would prefer this), then some have suggested that the XP be reset when they change hands.
    Last edited by Yoss; 07-05-2013 at 10:49 PM.

First thought, bad idea!
    Second thought, hrmm... might work.

I'm waiting for my third thought.

The upside to certain things not being tradable is that if an account is hacked these things will remain. An account can be retrieved after being hacked, but the only things that will be left are nontradable items.

Hm...I would say yes and no.

The bonuses like Pro-player draft and so on should not be able to be traded.
    As that could be misused/abused

Mercs I can see being traded.

I like the idea, but that's because I'm a pro-player who may some day want to cash out.

However, I suspect that part of the equation of offering the ProP in the first place was the, almost certainly correct, assumption that many ProPs will miss drafts in a given week and/or drop out entirely. The same reason the free draft is not forever, it's for your natural life--they're hedging their bets against a zombie apocalypse or vampiric conversion or other extended paranormal perpetuation.

My third thought just arrived. What would prevent friends and guildmates to share Raid Leader bonus if it is tokenized?

As i replied to the other thread i don't think its a good idea; what would happen if ppl start sharing those tokens with friends or guildies ?
    http://files.enjin.com/89273/Forum%2..._shadowelf.jpg

Questions about hex? Check my FAQ, Want to work as a game designer?CZE's Apprentiship Program

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Brumby66 View Post
    The upside to certain things not being tradable is that if an account is hacked these things will remain. An account can be retrieved after being hacked, but the only things that will be left are nontradable items.
    They have roll-back ability, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If you get hacked, they can just reset back your stuff, undoing all activity.

Quote Originally Posted by DisOrd3r View Post
    The bonuses like Pro-player draft and so on should not be able to be traded.
    As that could be misused/abused
    Abused how? Things that do not stack (multiple Pro-Players) would still not stack. Anything else you're worried about?

Quote Originally Posted by cavench View Post
    My third thought just arrived. What would prevent friends and guildmates to share Raid Leader bonus if it is tokenized?
    Hmm. I suppose that's true. Easily fixed though. Trading any of these special things would have a cooldown of 1 month. Fixed?

I'll update the OP.

I think I am with those that say the actual kickstarter awards should not be tradeable. These benefits were given as a thank you to those who donated money to the kickstarter. A kickstarter donation is always supposed to be about supporting the game, not about being able to maximize the amount of value you can obtain... (which CZE certainly made difficult since each tier conferred value beyond each donation price). Making the benefits tradeable makes it seem like the kickstarter was a means of selling a service and not about supporting the game in its final stages of development.

Regarding the mercenaries and other non-cards and equipment earned in game, I am ambivalent about. There are valid arguments both for and against being able to trade them.