Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $50 dollar cards

Devoted Emissary
    In order delve into the price structures of rares and legendary cards one must make a few assumptions:
    1) Hex will be a great game where people want to pvp.
    2) Paper TCG prices will translate to digital.
    3) The market is properly saturated with the set. (This means about a month or later after a set is released where people are still opening packs)
    4) This is the cards first printing.
    5) Legendary cards will have the same distribution as Mythics in Magic
    6) Finally, we must assume the value of a booster pack is $2 to purchase.

Alright, I will relate this in MTG terms as I have been playing it since 1995. In Magic packs go for $4 each. The average price range on a playable rare in a Standard only environment is around $5-10. The $5 cards are more of a one archetype deck where the $10 cards are multi-archetype. The average price for a Mythic in a properly saturated market is about $15-25. These prices can be lower depending on how niche the cards are and if they are played as less than a 4-of.

Therefore, we can conclude since packs are 50% of a Magic pack, single prices should be half as well of the equivalent rarity. Rares should be $2.50-5 and Legendaries should be $7.50-12.50.

On a related note card prices hit multiples of these numbers for a number of reasons.
    1) The card has been out-of-print for multiple years
    2) The card is a multi-format tournament card
    3) The set is new so not enough product has been opened for the market to stabilize on its long-term price.
    4) This one will be long and take a paragraph see below...

In a card game with drafts the last set of the block is the least drafted and most likely the least opened. There are a few reasons for this. In MTG you have 3 sets to a block. The first set is drafted 3x set 1. The second set is usually drafted 2x set 2 and 1x set 1. Finally, the last set comes along and you draft 1 pack of each from the block. Through a 9 month draft if you draft 1x a week you will have 12 weeks x 3x set 1 + 12 weeks x (1x set 1 + 2x set 2) + 12 weeks x (1x set 1 +1x set 2 + 1x set 3). Overall, you will have opened just from drafting 60 set 1 packs, 36 set 2 packs on only 12 set 3 packs. After that a new Core set comes out and people draft that for 3 months until the new block comes out which the cycle repeats.

5) In a paper TCG people can choose their prizes from the store from packs that are currently in print. If set 3 has a couple money cards in it and set 1 has 20+ money cards a normal person would choose set 1 as they have a higher chance of opening money. This, however, is different in digital you are most likely playing draft or constructed for the newest pack.

Hex will have 3 sets per year(1 every 4 months) so it will probably follow Magic's trend of opening packs. Sorry for the wall of text everyone.
    Decks I am currently playing check them out
    EDH

As a point of comparison, the marque cards in MtG go for a maximum of $50-$60 per card. I don't think HEX will ever reach those heights for three very simple reasons:

- Booster prices are at most $2.00 (likely even cheaper in auction house), much less than MtG prices.
    - The free weekly drafts from KS will always guarantee new cards are entering the market at no cost
    - There is currently no official way to "cash out." The cards are not tied to real world values.

Assuming a rare distribution similar to MtG, I doubt even the highly sought out cards from current sets will ever be prohibitively expensive; at most likely $20 dollars for a play set. I just want to emphasize that if HEX becomes exceedingly popular and CZE retires sets, the prices can rise. But the point still stands that buying singles from current sets will probably always be cheap-ish.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by facade View Post
    As a point of comparison, the marque cards in MtG go for a maximum of $50-$60 per card. I don't think HEX will ever reach those heights for three very simple reasons:

- Booster prices are at most $2.00 (likely even cheaper in auction house), much less than MtG prices.
    - The free weekly drafts from KS will always guarantee new cards are entering the market at no cost
    - There is currently no official way to "cash out." The cards are not tied to real world values.
    My problem is that you say the cards are not tied to real world values. Indeed they are. Packs are going to be 2 platinum to buy in the game store. Platinum can be bought at $1 each. Therefore, you are valuing cards with real world value.
    EDH

We can't really predict prices right now but I don't think it's impossible or even unlikely that prices for certain chase rares will go up a lot. This is a TCG afterall, and if the game is popular, especially if there are tournaments with money prizes, prices will go up naturally.

I need dual lands for magic I don't think they should cost over $50 so they are now worth $20 who wants to sell them to me?

This is not how pricing works the price isnt low just because you think it should be wow the ignorance of some of the people in this thread is mind blowing. Price will be set by supply and demand not your own personal opinion on how much cards should cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Talreth View Post
    "$50 dollar" reads as 50 dollar dollar, btw
    How many $50 dollar bills do you get out of the ATM machine?

Anyways... I think fifty dollar cards might be a real possibility if the community thus far is any indication. People are willing to spend a LOT of money on this game, and the market will determine the value after all.

Gigantisaur
    There are $50 cards in MtG because those cards are capable of winning you more than $50 worth of prizes. Until we know how competitive Hex's tournament scene will be, and the potential payouts and for wins, we can't determine how much cards will be worth. If the game is a hit and CZE (or someone else) establishes a reliable, equitable way to realize real-money winnings, then some cards will justify paying a steep premium for.

I am totally for an unlimited market and super rare legendary cards. If everything is easily obtainable, I will have a small fraction of the fun I will have chasing down and trading for ultra-rare cards. One man "traded up" from a paper clip to a house, if you're worried about the cost of high-end cards, I suggest you practice your bartering skills or get a better paying job :-)

Devoted Emissary
    I think they will very quickly have real world value.

I expect a website called hextraders or hexmart or something to be up and running within months of launch. I'm sure they would buy platinum.

I would guess this would be ideal for cze as it would make it no longer necessary to go down the real money auction house route.It would also come under their intention of not meddling in the secondary market.

Devoted Emissary

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ju66ernaut View Post
    I am totally for an unlimited market and super rare legendary cards. If everything is easily obtainable, I will have a small fraction of the fun I will have chasing down and trading for ultra-rare cards. One man "traded up" from a paper clip to a house, if you're worried about the cost of high-end cards, I suggest you practice your bartering skills or get a better paying job :-)
    I traded a sword of feast and famine last year for a grim tutor NM.
    EDH