Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Devices

Mobile Devices

The added benefit that you'll be able to play Hex on your mobile device is great; however, I would prefer it if it were only able to be played on Wifi. There's a lot of great uses for 3G/4G, playing a game that could extend in excess of 60 minutes though is not one of them. Signals can be quite inconsistent, and if I'm on a wifi network, and your lagging because your on a poor connect, I don't want to play against or with you.

2 solutions...

Don't allow play on 3G/4g

Or

Show other players ping and let us decide if we want to play with/against them running the risk of lagging out.

I'd prefer the former of the two options. I think poor connections could hinder the game's server and hurt everybody.

Not sure if this has been addressed before or notů

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    The added benefit that you'll be able to play Hex on your mobile device is great; however, I would prefer it if it were only able to be played on Wifi. There's a lot of great uses for 3G/4G, playing a game that could extend in excess of 60 minutes though is not one of them. Signals can be quite inconsistent, and if I'm on a wifi network, and your lagging because your on a poor connect, I don't want to play against or with you.

2 solutions...

Don't allow play on 3G/4g

Or

Show other players ping and let us decide if we want to play with/against them running the risk of lagging out.

I'd prefer the former of the two options. I think poor connections could hinder the game's server and hurt everybody.

Not sure if this has been addressed before or notů
    There are time limits in place for any competitive PVP. That pretty much takes care of this particular problem - you know the maximum time a game can take going in.

Resisting the urge to make another Hackers joke...
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Of course, but lag hurts both people and could impact the entire server. I don't want to wait a half hour to claim my victory via disconnect. That isn't fun for anyone.

Of course, but lag hurts both people and could impact the entire server. I don't want to wait a half hour to claim my victory via disconnect. That isn't fun for anyone.
    It depends. I do agree that 4g can be spotty at times. However, I don't think keeping them from playing outright is the answer. A robust afk and disconnect detector will serve that purpose much better and cleaner. 5 minutes of no activity, and the other player gets a message to claim victory.

Depending on where you live 4G can be faster than the wired options. So, cutting it off completely doesn't make sense. What's left? Require a minimum connection speed? That'll go down real well. The whole point about a TCG is that you don't need particularly robust internet to get a good play experience.

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Master Theorycrafter
    I don't see any reason to punish those who connect on mobile vs wifi, standard timeout treatment should be sufficient.
    Hi, my name is Malicus and my will to resist Hex is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Malicus View Post
    I don't see any reason to punish those who connect on mobile vs wifi, standard timeout treatment should be sufficient.
    It's not punishment, it's creating a great experience for everyone. With there being thousands of public hotspots, I don't think it's asking too much.

Or just show people's latency.

Simple enough?

Master Theorycrafter
    It's not punishment, it's creating a great experience for everyone. With there being thousands of public hotspots, I don't think it's asking too much.

Simple enough?
    This sounds like you forget that this is a global game. Also, my 3g is often better than my wifi when it comes to connections and connection issues.

Simple enough?
    Your latency is almost completely irrelevant in a TCG. Even a 2-5 second lag, which would seem like an eternity in a FPS or traditional MMO and be completely unplayable, would have zero impact in Hex.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirovik View Post
    This sounds like you forget that this is a global game. Also, my 3g is often better than my wifi when it comes to connections and connection issues.
    So people in other countries don't have the luxury of wifi? Everybody use wired connections in Australia? I don't follow.