Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: How popular is "Mulligan" in competitive card games?

  1. #1

    How popular is "Mulligan" in competitive card games?

    Someone posted the MTG Vegas tournament a couple of days ago(I think) and I never played MTG before so it was interesting for me to watch it. After watching it for hours, I didn't really see anyone doing a "mulligan?" How popular is this in competitive play and is it beneficial to do so regularly? Or does it mean you need to rebuild your deck so you do it less?

  2. #2
    Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    274
    There where some mulligans during the Vegas event. Melissa Detora had to mulligan several times in day 2. But if you construct your deck well it shouldn't happen very often. Still a factor of big variance for tournament outcomes.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DjiN View Post
    There where some mulligans during the Vegas event. Melissa Detora had to mulligan several times in day 2. But if you construct your deck well it shouldn't happen very often. Still a factor of big variance for tournament outcomes.
    Oh really? Sorry, I didn't catch that. I didn't even understand what the players were doing 99% of the time. The zoom in on the cards were a nice touch though. You're practically starting with less cards each time so would there be a cutoff after x cards? For example, having 1 card left is obviously bad. How about 2 or 3 or 4?

  4. #4
    Mulling is a tool. If you never use it, you're hurting your %'s, but if you use it too often and get greedy you're probably hurting yourself more. Once you know your deck inside and out, mulling becomes second nature. If you know the matchups well you'll know that there are just some hands that straight up lose to other decks and you don't bother keeping them.
    Visit Youtube: FunktionFails & Twitch: FunktionFails for hex based videos, articles and more.
    Find me on twitter @FunktionFails

    Less fail, more funktion!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by funktion View Post
    Mulling is a tool. If you never use it, you're hurting your %'s, but if you use it too often and get greedy you're probably hurting yourself more. Once you know your deck inside and out, mulling becomes second nature. If you know the matchups well you'll know that there are just some hands that straight up lose to other decks and you don't bother keeping them.
    Wuh? You lost me on, "If you never use it, you're hurting your %'s." Can you elaborate on this?

  6. #6
    You only take a mulligan if you absolutely have to. When you take one, you only draw 6, so it's a large disadvantage. No matter how well you build your deck, sometimes you'll draw a hand that just isn't keepable. Proper deckbuilding can cut down on this a great deal, but it's not too uncommon in draft rounds.

    It's a good idea to mulligan if you have 1 or 6 lands in your starting 7, but you should also consider if you can cast any spells in the first 2-3 turns. If you have no real plays in your opening hand, you might just get run over by a faster deck. Bottom line is, don't mulligan unless you have to, but you pretty much have to if you think your opponent can finish you off before you can really get in the game.

    Edit: I try very hard not to mulligan past six, and will only mull a 5-card hand if it has 0 lands in it.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

  7. #7
    No deck draws properly 100% of the time. If you can get a deck to draw well 90% of the time that is good. The other 10% you may need to mulligan.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by joffrey View Post
    Wuh? You lost me on, "If you never use it, you're hurting your %'s." Can you elaborate on this?
    Probably just saying that there are times when you should mulligan, but don't because you think your hand is better than it actually is. Once you get a better feel for your deck, you'll have better idea of when you should and shouldn't mulligan

  9. #9
    Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    274
    Well there is obvious (no lands) and less obvious (not the right starting hand for the matchup) reasons for mulligans.

  10. #10
    Time Bug
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    173
    Sorry to intrude your thread, but I have one question I never got answered.

    When you have 7 lands, or no lands in your first hand, are you allowed to mulligan to 7 cards again?
    Or only 6 like always?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •