Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex World Championship Tournament ?

Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    Because Vegas is a shitbox?
    Said nobody ever.

:-D

Gigantisaur
    The game needs Cash prize for World Champs, the best way to do that is to have it held physically (no gamble online assimilation and international laws).

Actually I think that 16-32 players invited (airfare + hotel) to compete physically for $100K total prize would be the best way to do it.

Conveniently enough it'd be during HEXCon...

~

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhurtable View Post
    I'd be very surprised if CZE would give out all-expenses trips to the qualifiers. In E-Sports at the moment the teams are usually sponsored and the sponsors pay for the trips if there is a physical location event (such as all "World Championships" within E-Sports I've heard about).
    Not the qualifiers I think they are all online. I was thinking more the top 8 players in the world for the final showdown.

Nobody is going to sponsor a 36 year old Postman to play an online card game. I can not join some professional clan I have a job and a young daughter taking up my time.

Should this prevent me from being world champ in a game I can play in the corner of my living room. Wouldn't it be a little off if some poor slob like me was the best qualifier but ended up watching players I may have already beat on a twitch feed.

Just to be clear I'd be just as opposed if it was in London, Paris ,Tokyo or Ulan Bator. Was not singling out America or Vegas.

I wouldn't mind Tokyo personally, but not bloody likely

Well, if we are looking at a similar prize structure for Hex like CZE has for WoW TCG, they might give travel vouchers to the top winners of the qualifier events. People who place at certain level would also earn a right to attend the event, but would have to pay for their own travel expenses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vomitlord View Post
    Not the qualifiers I think they are all online. I was thinking more the top 8 players in the world for the final showdown.

Nobody is going to sponsor a 36 year old Postman to play an online card game. I can not join some professional clan I have a job and a young daughter taking up my time.

Should this prevent me from being world champ in a game I can play in the corner of my living room. Wouldn't it be a little off if some poor slob like me was the best qualifier but ended up watching players I may have already beat on a twitch feed.

Just to be clear I'd be just as opposed if it was in London, Paris ,Tokyo or Ulan Bator. Was not singling out America or Vegas.
    Yeah, I meant championships. *hits self over head*

Also I get your position, don't get me wrong, but I just see it as unlikely. It would be a bit sad if a player that is seen as among the best in the world is not able to participate in the world championship due to location issues.

Nobody assumed you singled out America, I hope. That would be kind of foolish. Even if it was in Europe (assuming most of the playerbase will be split among those two parts of the world) there would still be location issues for the americans in that case.

If you're seen as the best in the world then I'd be surprised if you don't get sponsored. If you don't have the time to go on a trip then unfortunately that's the way it is. Tournaments are usually just a weekend thing. If you can't spare a weekend (which is understandable) then you wouldn't be able to compete. Even if they had it online which isn't preferable for publicity you would still need that time slot open.

Devoted Emissary
    Time would probably not be an issue I'm sure even my employer would give me time off if I had a chance to be world champion. Even money may be overcome as a one off in my case.

What I'm getting at is the idea that only certain kind of people could be big players. In other words pro players with deep pockets who could travel the world playing. I'm reminded off the achievement within mtg planeswalker points for playing on 5 different continents!!!!! There's a certain elitism within tcgs that hex does not need to copy.

Given this isn't physical I'd see no need for that kind of pro tour. In this day and age the game could have it's celebrities anyway.

Again I'm unlikely to qualify anyway( like playing big monsters and have aversion to playing counterspells) but on principle it would be nice if a bed ridden 80 year old could be world champ just as easily as a 20 year old college student.

The championship isn't just about crowning a victor and creating celebrities. It's about publicity and getting people into the game. I don't think sponsors will take you out of consideration if you are THAT good. I'll take a skilled 70 year old over a less skilled youngin'. The more different you are the more you'll be recognized, assuming you have the skill to back it up. Honestly though, most people don't need to worry about that. The unfortunate truth is that a very very small percentage of people will reach that type of competitive play.

Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    Because Vegas is a shitbox?
    I used Vegas as an example of a far away location and because since Hexcon will be there it would make sense that they combine both events. Never been there and can't tell whether its a shithbox or not
    http://files.enjin.com/89273/Forum%2..._shadowelf.jpg

Questions about hex? Check my FAQ, Want to work as a game designer?CZE's Apprentiship Program

Quote Originally Posted by Vomitlord View Post

What I'm getting at is the idea that only certain kind of people could be big players. In other words pro players with deep pockets who could travel the world playing. I'm reminded off the achievement within mtg planeswalker points for playing on 5 different continents!!!!! There's a certain elitism within tcgs that hex does not need to copy.

Given this isn't physical I'd see no need for that kind of pro tour. In this day and age the game could have it's celebrities anyway.
    Being a pro doesn't necessarily mean that u have deep pockets; most pros use their earnings to fund the trips to next events, choose events that are near their hometowns, or they have friends to house and partially feed them when in another town. Most well known pros are also sponsored by companies like starcity and others.

Since however i have no intention of being a pro, i would prefer, if invited, to play from my home
    http://files.enjin.com/89273/Forum%2..._shadowelf.jpg

Questions about hex? Check my FAQ, Want to work as a game designer?CZE's Apprentiship Program