Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Hex World Championship Tournament ?

He's not disputing that it might be completely different to other online gamblng like poker but the point is that even though what you are saying may be 100% accurate, it is still grey enough that companies are not willing to take the risk. That's the point you missed.

Gigantisaur
    Playing HEX or SC2 is the same thing, legally speaking

~

Or League, or any FPS, or any fighting game etc. If it couldn't be done, companies wouldn't have been doing it for years.

I'm pretty clueless, but don't they tend to attend those tournaments in person, not online, to win money?

Edit: Some lazy investigation leads me to find that there are at least SC2 events with prizes hosted online. But it also appears that Blizzard isn't the one hosting these tournaments, which seems to be a pretty germaine to the argument.
    Last edited by Grissnap; 06-27-2013 at 01:08 AM.

As much as I would like to participate in the WC (don't think I will be good enough but a man is allowed to dream right?) the fact of the matter is that being a "pro" at anything requires tremendous dedication and sacrifices in other parts of your life. It would be awesome if the event happened online but I think it is unlikely for several reasons:

- it would be harder to ensure no cheating is going on
    - it would create less if a buzz as there is no real "event" going on
    - usually the companies hosting these events also use them as a promotional tool for the game. Having a televised (streamed) event in a physical location where they can interview players, attract new players etc is in the company's interest

A lot if making it to the World Championship is grinding events which means people that have the time and money to travel to as many qualifiers as possible have more chances at making it to worlds. Some "famous" players even get appearance fees in magic just for showing up which makes the grind even easier and more profitable.

As much as I hope CZE finds a way to move away from this system that can be a bit alienating I don't think it will be possible. Here is hoping CZE surprises us.
    Contributor of the Hex TCG Wiki
    Pledges: Pro + 2x Collector + King

Gigantisaur
    The thing is that Hex is the first major online TCG. I daresay a significant number of players are flocking to Hex, exactly because they are not free to travel, due to whatever reason.

Not having the World Championship online would take away the "highest prize" from this large (?) group.

Plus: How would you organize a local tournament? You'd have to supply the IT infrastructure for X players.

I certainly hope this will remain an online only game, otherwise I predict many players who are excited about it right now will leave in disappointment.
    Dungeon Crawler / Collector / Raid Leader

Keep Hibbernathy - Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild @HexTUC
    Running: TUC Arena of Myth Challenge Can you do a perfect 20-0 run with every single champion? Working on #32

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    The thing is that Hex is the first major online TCG. I daresay a significant number of players are flocking to Hex, exactly because they are not free to travel, due to whatever reason.
    This is indeed one of the reasons I stopped playing the WoW TCG, because most of the times the Worlds is the US, and that's it not worth it for me.
    Should that exclude me?
    http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-4368...18944-blue.png

Grand King that loves collecting things twice because he thinks he's a pro player.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiany View Post
    This is indeed one of the reasons I stopped playing the WoW TCG, because most of the times the Worlds is the US, and that's it not worth it for me.
    Should that exclude me?
    Nope. Playing at the comfort of my home was the reason that initially sold me to hex; I'm 32 and despite not having a family yet, i'm on a heavy work schedule, with precious few hours left for gaming. I can get behind the reasons why cze will decide to hold an event of this scale to a place of choice, but it would suck if i manage to qualify but not being able to attend
    http://files.enjin.com/89273/Forum%2..._shadowelf.jpg

Questions about hex? Check my FAQ, Want to work as a game designer?CZE's Apprentiship Program

Didn't CZE already say in one of their streams that having physical events would defeat the point of it being a digital tcg? I can't be 100% sure, but I think they already said that these kinds of events will be happening online.
    But yeah, it's digital nature is what interested me. I've not been able to properly play a TCG for a very long time simply for lack of people to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepick View Post
    Didn't CZE already say in one of their streams that having physical events would defeat the point of it being a digital tcg? I can't be 100% sure, but I think they already said that these kinds of events will be happening online.
    But yeah, it's digital nature is what interested me. I've not been able to properly play a TCG for a very long time simply for lack of people to play against.
    I'd like to see this clip since it would essentially confirm an online championship, but I'll remain skeptical for now.

On another hand I don't particularly see it as reasonable. The reason other digital games have physical events is for prestige / PR and the insurance that nobody is being assisted.