Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is there no competitive PVE - or - Why there is no competitive PVE

Why is there no competitive PVE - or - Why there is no competitive PVE

Fellow Hexers (This includes Devs ofc.)

I played TCG's for years and I love it.
    I also love the competitive part of it, in my case mostly drafting.
    I do look forward to do this in HEX too.

Also:

I played MMO's for like ~10 years too (most of this time WoW).
    I loved the competitive part in this too, but this was the PVE side!
    Imho the PVE (esp. in WoW) was a lot more engaging and fun than the PVP
    (tried that for some months too).

But with given conditions there will never be any competitive PVE as I see it.
    The problems are the Kickstarter-Boni.
    While there is no bonus for PVP (a free draft doesn't make you stronger in PVP)
    as there is in PVE (esp. Raidleader, Lotus, also DC and GL).

If this is really the case, it's a gd pity, since that would be a hell of a lot
    potential breaking away from the game.

Opinions? Or maybe i missed something?

Some very constructive posts about the matter:
    Clarifications about this post and "competitive PVE"(link)
    Proposal for how to enable competitive PVE (link)
    Article on competitive PVE in World of Warcraft and how it applies to Hex (link)

Thanks guys and thanks Yoss for the suggestion!

Regards
    Hexgo!
    Last edited by Hexgo; 07-20-2013 at 07:35 PM.

there will be 3 person raids in PvE, keep defense, arena and highlander mode for all dungeons (only 1 copy of non resource card is allowed) there will give all PvE lovers enough challenge during launch (might not be available on alpha and beta)

Why wouldn't there be competitive PvE? I, and I imagine many others, will be gunning for potential raid and dungeons firsts as soon as they are released.

Majin and Jax
    Exactly thats what i mean. It would be awesome.

But how can it be competitive if a fraction of the player base has significant advantages over others (including me)?
    There would always be bad blood like: "well you had a "raidleader" with you, that doesn't count".
    (Like i said: advantage of the kickstarter-PVE backer)

Master Theorycrafter
    Well, there will be casual PVP which you can setup to allow you to use PVE cards in, if you want.
    So, yeah, you want to play your PVE deck against another person, you will able to. And, will be a lot of fun I think.
    So, while not what you're looking for. Still something to play with.
    Also, Like Jaxosonbatemanhex said, there will be competition for being one of the first through a dungeon or raid.
    And, I kind of think there will be friendly competition among guild mates and friends to gather the cards/equipment for certain combos/decks first.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Patron-Officer
    keldrin@unnamed-council.com

Quote Originally Posted by keldrin View Post
    Also, Like Jaxosonbatemanhex said, there will be competition for being one of the first through a dungeon or raid.
    For that it would need a new mode, where kickstarter-PVE bonus would be automaticly ignored (also no Lotus or other Kickstarter-only PVE special Cards etc.)

Master Theorycrafter
    Yes, well, in any TCG, if you spend money, you have access to more cards, giving you more potential options for deck builds etc.
    Same thing is sometimes said about people who have several thousand dollars worth of MTG cards. The cards do not make you a great player, but generally the people who spend that kind of money are good. And they do have more options on deck construct than the guy on a much more limited budget.
    My point being, someone will always be saying, that doesn't count because, you have more than I do. You played longer than me. etc.
    And Yeah, I get that post kickstarter, unless they allow the sale of accounts, you can't ever get those advantages again.
    Last edited by keldrin; 06-29-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Sounded to elitist when I reread it.
    Patron-Officer

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexgo View Post
    For that it would need a new mode, where kickstarter-PVE bonus would be automaticly ignored (also no Lotus or other Kickstarter-only PVE special Cards etc.)
    Actually, being able to turn off raid leader for a greater challenge in a raid would be fun.
    Patron-Officer

@Keldrin
    What you say is absolutely true for TCG's Constructed, it isn't really for draft thou.
    And imho that’s a good thing and I take it that’s the main reason why draft is so popular.

However, while high money investment in TCG's (constructed mainly) brings an advantage
    lies in the its system, the PVE side doesn't necessarily need to inherit this "flaw".

HEX is a combination of TCG and MMO. I'm 100% it will be a fabulous TCG,
    but I ‘can’t see it for PVE yet. Don't get me wrong, I bet it will be a lot of fun but
    other popular PVE focused MMOs take a lot of action to protect competitive PVE.
    This (as I see it at the moment) is hardly the case for HEX, which I think is a downside.

I just mean: It could have both at the same time! Wouldn't that be absolutely great?

To clarify:
    I was always okey not being able to go into much constructed, since i can avoid
    the money problem with other formats.

But if one guy came and would draw 8 instead of 7 cards in a draft I’d say: "no way man!"
    :-)
    Last edited by Hexgo; 06-29-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexgo View Post
    There would always be bad blood like: "well you had a "raidleader" with you, that doesn't count".
    (Like i said: advantage of the kickstarter-PVE backer)
    "+1 Card in the opening hand of all players grouped with "The Raid Leader" in non-tournament PVE content FOR LIFE!" - Kickstarter

This also insinuates that there will be Tournament PvE Content. Nothing confirmed at launch, but I believe I remember Cory touching on this subject very briefly in one video.

/thread