Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speeding Up the Game - Especially Multiplayer

I am not sure that it would work here but the MTG concept of STOP TIMER is nice, you get to stop your oponent turn so you can respond to stuff, maybe that with the checkbox idea would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ustrucx View Post
    I am not sure that it would work here but the MTG concept of STOP TIMER is nice, you get to stop your oponent turn so you can respond to stuff, maybe that with the checkbox idea would be the way to go.
    No, the stop timer thing was horrible with the automatic timer. The timer was far too short, and if you extend it the time it takes for a game just gets longer. Passing priority is a large improvement. Plus, someone could just stop the timer, sit for 5 minutes doing nothing, then let it continue. It was not ideal.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    Also another idea could be this:

Unless you have a quickaction card or ability on a card, automatically pass
    That gives smart man adventange. "He passed so fast so he cant have instant"

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhurtable View Post
    The problem with this is that you will be able to know if someone else has a quickaction in some cases since they don't automatically pass.
    Why is this a problem? Yes, its something you don't know in a physical TCG, or in MTGO, but maybe that edge case is an acceptable price to pay for speeding up the majority of turns. Its fair to both players, they can both use that system to ferret out some extra info about their opponent's hand. I'm not saying its the best, or only, solution, but I shouldn't just be dismissed because it provides a little extra info that player's aren't accustomed to having.

Quote Originally Posted by EntropyBall View Post
    Why is this a problem? Yes, its something you don't know in a physical TCG, or in MTGO, but maybe that edge case is an acceptable price to pay for speeding up the majority of turns. Its fair to both players, they can both use that system to ferret out some extra info about their opponent's hand. I'm not saying its the best, or only, solution, but I shouldn't just be dismissed because it provides a little extra info that player's aren't accustomed to having.
    Actually, that bit of info is vital against certain decks. That control deck with one card in it's hand, is it a counterspell/removal card? Is it safe for me to drop my big fatty and use all my mana?

If you know what they have in hand, theres no doubt, no tactics involved. Game over, thanks for playing, sucks you were unlucky and had no chance to bluff.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Heres what Id do for simultaneous play in PvE.

The two main phases and the combat phase wait for all players to pass to continue on to the next phase. No players can respond directly to another players play in the stack on their turn. The computer can respond and each player can respond to that(basically a mini pause). All players choose their attackers together. Off turn auto pass priority if you dont have an instant.

Overall that should speed up pve encounters. PvP maybe have multiple stacks(one for each player on the team), teammates cant respond if the top of the stack is a teammates action(autopass on teammate actions). Enemies see all stacks and can respond to each as they pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by EntropyBall View Post
    You could see it as a non-issue as it is impartial and affects all players to a certain degree.

The problem (as I see it) is that it fundamentally makes quickactions semi-revealed at all times in the modes affected. Its not only "you may play this card at any time", its "you may play this card at any time and your opponent knows you have a quickaction on your hand".

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhurtable View Post
    You could see it as a non-issue as it is impartial and affects all players to a certain degree.

The problem (as I see it) is that it fundamentally makes quickactions semi-revealed at all times in the modes affected. Its not only "you may play this card at any time", its "you may play this card at any time and your opponent knows you have a quickaction on your hand".
    If you're cautious, you won't use the checkbox in competitive PVP. That doesn't mean the checkbox wouldn't be good to have around, especially in raids or casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    If you're cautious, you won't use the checkbox in competitive PVP. That doesn't mean the checkbox wouldn't be good to have around, especially in raids or casual.
    Good point, it doesn't really matter if its PvE since they could just program the computer to not take the "autopassing" into account. To be honest I was just trying to point out that a "autopass" system is not free of flaws, in case it were to be implemented in a PvP environment (such as Emperor or maybe even larger modes).