Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #1 thing I'd like to see in the deck editing interface...

I do have to say, from the promo footage reel they've showed multiple times, the current pre-alpha deckbuilding interface looks frighteningly similar to the Duel of Champions interface (top window - all cards, bottom window - current deck contents). I really, really hope that's just the "for now" interface and that they plan to do SOMETHING with it before launch. Because, man, that just isn't good enough.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Master Theorycrafter
    nerver enough time, making time.
    and the future demands.
    Last edited by keroko; 07-13-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    I do have to say, from the promo footage reel they've showed multiple times, the current pre-alpha deckbuilding interface looks frighteningly similar to the Duel of Champions interface (top window - all cards, bottom window - current deck contents). I really, really hope that's just the "for now" interface and that they plan to do SOMETHING with it before launch. Because, man, that just isn't good enough.
    Yeah its not even in the same planet as being good enough

A "Bulk" option would be cool. Where you can label a card as "Bulk" so it won't show up when you are doing you're constructed decks. So cards that are unplayable in constructed In your personal opinion like Pillar Field Ox for example won't take up space when looking through cards to build with. Just a little OCD on my part

Quote Originally Posted by MythicFishmom View Post
    A "Bulk" option would be cool. Where you can label a card as "Bulk" so it won't show up when you are doing you're constructed decks. So cards that are unplayable in constructed In your personal opinion like Pillar Field Ox for example won't take up space when looking through cards to build with. Just a little OCD on my part
    Yeah, the ability to separate your collection into different windows would be nice too. I know I usually had my "random things that might be nice but aren't going to drive a deck" and "OMG SEXY" piles even with my collection when not building decks.
    I hate your big image banner signature, and blocked it with adblock.

I know this isn't reasonable in the long run, but I've already got about 7 or 8 cards on my personal "oh my god put 4 of these in every single deck no matter what" pile. Some of the abilities on these cards just feel too awesome and crazy to NOT use.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

The Transcended
    I support the OP. I definitely use the funnel method of deckbuilding, but I use the MTG Gatherer so that I can also consider cards I do not currently own.

1. Using Gatherer I do a first pass where I find every possible card that might work in the deck idea. I put all the cards into a spreadsheet. The remaining steps are all done in the spreadsheet up until I go buy the cards for the final deck.

2. Sort the cards into categories (troops, removals, counters, mana fixing, etc)

3. Decide how many slots to devote to each category.

4. Begin culling cards out of each category until it reaches the target number. Keep the culled cards around somewhere in case you change your mind later.

5. Test the prototype (I have a macro to emulate deck shuffling and draws).

6. Iterate steps 3 through 5 until it seems to run smoothly.

7. Check the deck price on "the AH" (for MTG I use tcgplayer.com). If the sticker shock is too high, go back to step 3 and try to find cheaper substitutions.

8. Buy whatever isn't currently in my collection.

9. Assemble and sleeve up!

Yoss brings up another I'd love to see: A "phantom" deckbuilder, where you could see all available cards and put them in your deck (perhaps with a filter by format), then see how much it costs to build the thing with what cards you lack.
    I hate your big image banner signature, and blocked it with adblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Funsocks View Post
    Yoss brings up another I'd love to see: A "phantom" deckbuilder, where you could see all available cards and put them in your deck (perhaps with a filter by format), then see how much it costs to build the thing with what cards you lack.
    This would be pretty sweet. I wonder if they had a "trade binder" If you could then click a button and see if any of your friends or guildmates have those cards for trade. If not that, then I still love the idea of checking the AH in the manner Yoss proposes.

Hopefully the ability to configure and customize the UI isn't limited due to future development for mobile platforms. Regardless I would hope they have a standard JSON or XML deck definition format that could be imported/exported or simply pasted from the clipboard so that if I don't like the deck building interface I can just use a different tool. Personally I would prefer a commander style interface.