Thread: Hexonomics: Calculating Chase Cards!

Master Theorycrafter

Hexonomics: Calculating Chase Cards!

Howdy Hexers!

Today I go out to the edge and introduce a method for calculating any card's base play value and take it one step further to calculate it's Chase Value.

Check out the video description for the "Chase Chart" used for the video. Several others are helping me complete a full database of spoiled card Chase values to release to the community and we should have that available soon. Until then, what you think of the Chase Chart and how you think it might best be tweeked?

If you would like to help speed up the database project send me a PM on the forums.

***EDIT*** The first draft of the Chase Database is available, linked in the video description. I am still working on evaluating Equipment as we currently know them and will make that update when possible.

~Mokog
    Last edited by Mokog; 08-07-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    HexHunterMokog:

My Latest Video: DeckTech: Elemental Storms!
    @ YouTube @ Facebook @ Twitter @ Twitch.tv

Learn from Failure. Be Humble in Success.

thanks for sharing the spreadsheet.

Gigantisaur
    Nice video, thanks.
    http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-4368...18944-blue.png

Grand King that loves collecting things twice because he thinks he's a pro player.

So uhm. You basically make up random multipliers and numbers to assign how much of a chase card a card is?

Master Theorycrafter
    They are not entirely random. Arbitrary in size but not random. The points assigned to a mechanic are a way to compare the power differences between them. If Mill has a value of .5 and Steadfast a 1 that says that steadfast is twice as powerful as Mill, and damage has more punch than Steadfast at a value of 1.5. The system requires additional tweeking and updating as cards are released and we get our hands on the game client. Because it needs more attention I am submitting it to the community to mull over and review so we can find the values most true to each mechanic.

Modifiers are used to scale out numismatic aspects of cards. A completed double back is going to be important as that makes a card foil and/or extended art. CZE has hinted there maybe neat Easter eggs found by completing the double back. Rarity also plays a big role. The biggest difference between a staple card and a chase card is the rarity. Common and uncommon great cards are staples. Great rare and legendary cards are chase cards.
    HexHunterMokog:

What makes an ability twice as powerful as the other one? I mean. How can you compare those?

You say completed double back's will be more valuable, but maybe "empty" cards will be more rare and therfor more valuable?

I applaud the effort and time you put into this, but I am afraid the true value or how much of chase card a card can't be deducted in a vacuum. Cards are very, very meta-game dependant, next to prints in precon's. As an example take the price of Stoneforge Mystic before the Mirrodin-block, during Mirrodin-block, after print in the event-deck, at the start of modern and then rotation out of standard.

Master Theorycrafter
    That is a valid point. I look at it from a convenience stance. Someone is "paying" more value to have the work completed. If an Empty back is more valuable then that means there are fewer empty backed cards available than non and they are desired prominently. My experience from every other TCG I have played is that foils and extended/alt arts are 1.5-3 times more valuable depending on how rare their appearance. I toned the high range of this down because foils and extended arts are earned.

As for ability difference, I used my play background and the input of the other contributors to weight power of the mechanics. When we get our hands on the game client you can expect revisions. As stated multiple times, this is not perfect yet. I would love to get the input of every Hexer who gets their hands on the game client during Gen Con to chime in. (I am looking at you Funktion)

You bring up an interesting aspect about meta and that factor has been intentionally left out. It is a partial unknown. Then there is the cost per point of power factor as well and synergy factors for card types. This is a start my friend and not yet comprehensive. Bring your experience from magic into this. Use the system as it is now to break down Stoneforge Mystic and tell us how its power progressed through the blocks. We can include the polished observation in an upcoming version after it has been hashed out.

I want community input on this as my experience is just one POV and there are thousands of others who can bring in more insight.

~Mokog
    HexHunterMokog: