Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Hex or Hearthstone help a newbie in need :)

  1. #1

    Hex or Hearthstone help a newbie in need :)

    Hey guys just got my first taste of card games about 2 weeks ago. With Magic on pc.

    Looking at getting into a more collectable card game where your rewarded etc.

    Can you guys tell me some highlights of playing this and why i should join.

    Whats your favorite thing about this game that other games don't have etc.

    Thanks for your time

  2. #2
    Devoted Emissary
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    110
    Both of the games you've just mentioned will have free or super-cheap ways to try out, I'd suggest you try them both to see how you feel about them.

    Hex will probably be very similar to your Magic experience, but faster, prettier, and with more depth in the gameplay, due to the advantages of the digital-only cards.

    Hearthstone will probably also be gorgeous, but a bit simpler a game. And there's nothing wrong with that. It looks like something I might want to play if I just wanted a simple game to pass a few minutes. And of course, if you're a Warcraft fan, it might be neat that it is part of that universe.

    I'm choosing Hex as the next game I really get into . . . after seeing the presentations they gave at DragonCon, I'm very impressed with what they are doing with the PvE portion of the game, and I have no doubt that the PvP side will be great, too. And of course, if you only want to play for a little bit in Hex, I understand that you'll be able to "pause" single-player dungeons and pick up with them where you left off later.
    Pro Player Kickstarter; CCG veteran of Magic, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek 2E, Vs. System, and World of Warcraft

  3. #3
    Thanks for that. What is the cut of date to donate so i can play?

    As i understand no one has played yet or just the kickstarters are playing?

    Also yeah im thinking i would enjoy this over Hearthstone as im enjoying Magic atm

  4. #4
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Urimagination View Post
    Thanks for that. What is the cut of date to donate so i can play?

    As i understand no one has played yet or just the kickstarters are playing?

    Also yeah im thinking i would enjoy this over Hearthstone as im enjoying Magic atm
    So far there is no cut-off date for Slacker Backer. No-one is playing Hex just yet, however Slacker Backer gets you access to Alpha which will be at the end of September (yay it's September already! ).

  5. #5
    Might jump on board towards that date and watch some videos in the mean time

  6. #6
    2 fundamental differences between Hex and Hearthstone, that give Hex faaar more depth (like above, HS may be fun, but more of just a little past time, not something you invest much thought in):

    1) Hex is a TCG, HS is a CCG. You cannot trade cards in Hearthstone. While this seems minor, it means that Hex will have an entire economy to it, that helps govern the playability/usability of certain cards, especially at the lower levels. Obviously the guys trying to win world tournaments will spend 100$ to get the perfect card for their deck regardless.

    2) Quick actions. Hearthstone has nothing you can play on your opponents' turn, or in reaction to something they do. You only get actions on your turn. This drastically reduces design space for strategic plays.

    There are numerous other differences, but those are the significant ones I'd think. And yeah, only people who've played Hex outside of CZE's offices are those who got to play the demo at GenCon a few weeks back. I wouldn't wait too long on Slacker Backer, while there's no indication it'll happen (it would make sense to keep the option open) it's perfectly feasible alpha/beta might be a good date to end the promotion. It's not likely, but if it's something you're definitely interested in, go for it.
    I hate your big image banner signature, and blocked it with adblock.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Funsocks View Post
    2 fundamental differences between Hex and Hearthstone, that give Hex faaar more depth (like above, HS may be fun, but more of just a little past time, not something you invest much thought in):

    1) Hex is a TCG, HS is a CCG. You cannot trade cards in Hearthstone. While this seems minor, it means that Hex will have an entire economy to it, that helps govern the playability/usability of certain cards, especially at the lower levels. Obviously the guys trying to win world tournaments will spend 100$ to get the perfect card for their deck regardless.

    2) Quick actions. Hearthstone has nothing you can play on your opponents' turn, or in reaction to something they do. You only get actions on your turn. This drastically reduces design space for strategic plays.

    There are numerous other differences, but those are the significant ones I'd think. And yeah, only people who've played Hex outside of CZE's offices are those who got to play the demo at GenCon a few weeks back. I wouldn't wait too long on Slacker Backer, while there's no indication it'll happen (it would make sense to keep the option open) it's perfectly feasible alpha/beta might be a good date to end the promotion. It's not likely, but if it's something you're definitely interested in, go for it.
    I would like to add the resource system - dedicated cards in Hex vs the more automated Hearthstone version. May seem minor, but it adds to the learning curve.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

  8. #8
    I am playing Hearthstone in beta and while the game is not overly deep, it does have more depth than I expected. The game is very fun though and a lot faster than most TCGs.

    But I would not spend $250 on Hearthstone which is what I gave to Hex. This is because Hex has the depth of a full fledged TCG, using the digital space for card effects in unique and cool ways, and will have a fully implemented draft tournament system (which is what I miss the most since I stopped playing WoWTCG).

    So the great fact is both games are free to play and different enough that it is worth it to get into both. The only decision you have to make in the mean time is if you want to do the Slacker Backer for alpha/beta access (and the packs you get make pretty much covers the cost)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Barov View Post
    I am playing Hearthstone in beta and while the game is not overly deep, it does have more depth than I expected. The game is very fun though and a lot faster than most TCGs.

    But I would not spend $250 on Hearthstone which is what I gave to Hex. This is because Hex has the depth of a full fledged TCG, using the digital space for card effects in unique and cool ways, and will have a fully implemented draft tournament system (which is what I miss the most since I stopped playing WoWTCG).

    So the great fact is both games are free to play and different enough that it is worth it to get into both. The only decision you have to make in the mean time is if you want to do the Slacker Backer for alpha/beta access (and the packs you get make pretty much covers the cost)
    I'm playing the Hearthstone beta as well then I woke up

  10. #10
    Devoted Emissary
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Barov View Post
    a fully implemented draft tournament system
    A very good point. I *love* drafting, and Hex looks like it will be a blast to draft.
    Pro Player Kickstarter; CCG veteran of Magic, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek 2E, Vs. System, and World of Warcraft

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •