Thread: PvP Gozzog Blood Diamond Deck

PvP Gozzog Blood Diamond Deck

Hey there fellow Hexxers! I've been lurking here since I found the kickstarter and pledged to a King Tier. Since then I have been looking at every preview and eagerly awaiting Alpha to start testing decks and goofing around. And speaking of testing decks this is one I have been brewing with. It has changed a little since newer cards have been spoiled, but the core shell is still there. Beat down, and beat down hard.

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=280

This is a straight aggro deck using Gozzog to help stem the bleeding against other aggro decks and to help apply more pressure to control decks. For those who do not remember, Gozzog is that champion that deals 1 damage to an enemy champion and gains 1 life back. Since seeing Gozzog spoiled I wanted to make a deck around him, IMO he has one of the best champion powers in the game since you cannot interact with it. You can't counter it and it does not rely on one of my creatures connecting. All it takes is me sitting on charge counters and using his charge ability in 1 of 3 ways:

1: Pump my Righteous Paladin prior to combat to make a large early game threat
    2: Kill opponent when sitting on enough charges
    3: Slow down opponents aggro, allowing me to win the long game with a large Siphon Life

I run 4 charge bots for early 1/1 creatures and to build charges up fast to sit on. The Righteous Paladin synergies with the charge power really well. The 4 Clergymen trigger off each other, the Life Harvesters, and the Warlock Inquisitors. The Inquisitors will have the Major Blood Gem that deals their atk to an opponent when they enter play, with the Clergymen dealing 4 on entry if we can stack triggers correctly. And the Harvesters will act as either 3/3 unblockable lifedrain creatures (4/4 with Clergy) depending on the match up, or great blockers dragging the game out for large Life Siphons. The Living Totems are just monsters that, if left alone, will just grow into a game winning threat in a few turns. The 2 Dragon Guard help me recycle some of my early threats into the late game where they are still relevant.

I have play tested the deck a little with friends by cutting out cards and most of the time I won off the back of large Life Siphons if my early game failed, or getting such a fast start that my opponent couldn't stabilize with his deck. Obviously there are more cards to be spoiled and once Alpha gets started anything is possible, but it has been fun getting some early deck-techs in. What do you guys think of the deck?
    Last edited by RandomWitness; 09-06-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    King Tier Backer - Can't Wait!

Check out my YouTube Channel for fun gaming videos and if you enjoy watching someone being bad at video games!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC85xOjNQu0_InOVWuUjYTmA

Master Theorycrafter
    I think the Dragon Guards are very yucky, as they delay you from drawing further into your deck- effectively denying you a draw step for a measly +1/+1 bonus to a troop. There are plenty of better choices, Aeronaut and Vampire King being the most notable.
    Looking for more Hex content? Check out Hex Shuffle for strategy articles, deck ideas, individual card discussions, and more! Now with Twitter Feed! And Tumblr Feed. And Facebook Wall!

Devoted Emissary
    I think your mana curve looks like an issue. There is no way you can cast Infernal Professor followed by Righteous Paladin, or Warlock Inquisitor following the Paladin. A one turn delay is usually a very big deal for an aggro deck. I would suggest the following changes;

Drop Infernal Professor, add Fang of the Mountain God - This is easily the best one drop in the game right now, and has a long history of winning Magic the Gathering tournaments as Carnophage. Either card is going to make you lose life, the one that is punching your opponent at the same time seems miles better.

Drop Righteous Paladin, add Grim Skull Sorcerer (+2/+0, cant block Blood socket) - This will attack as a 3/3 on turn three, doesn't mess with your mana curve because you dont need the Blood resource until turn 3 to activate the +2/+0, and means you can run Herczeg instead of Gozzog (card draw has historically been far more valuable then a couple points of damage/lifegain).

Drop Dragon Guard, add Corrupt Harvesters or Life Siphons - The Dragon Guard is unplayable in any deck. It is too slow, too small, and has an irrelevant ability. If you are casting a 6 mana spell in an aggro deck it should win you the game that turn (which a 6 mana Life Siphon could realistically do).

Drop Living Totem, add ???? - I would never play a 3/3, a 2/2 flyer, or 2/2 swiftstrike for 5 mana. That is horribly below the curve. If you ever get into a situation where using the Totem's ability is your best play, you are going to lose anyway. Shield Trainer may be the best option spoiled so far, but I would really hope for something better in the completed set.

Warlock Inquisitor and Corrupt Harvester aren't my favorite options, but both seem like reasonable choices given the Protectorate Clergyman.

All that being said, my bet is on a mono-color Ruby deck or a Ruby/Blood Orc deck similar to the following being the top tier aggro deck at release. http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=287

Quote Originally Posted by vulture27 View Post
    I think your mana curve looks like an issue. There is no way you can cast Infernal Professor followed by Righteous Paladin, or Warlock Inquisitor following the Paladin. A one turn delay is usually a very big deal for an aggro deck. I would suggest the following changes;

Drop Infernal Professor, add Fang of the Mountain God - This is easily the best one drop in the game right now, and has a long history of winning Magic the Gathering tournaments as Carnophage. Either card is going to make you lose life, the one that is punching your opponent at the same time seems miles better.

Drop Righteous Paladin, add Grim Skull Sorcerer (+2/+0, cant block Blood socket) - This will attack as a 3/3 on turn three, doesn't mess with your mana curve because you dont need the Blood resource until turn 3 to activate the +2/+0, and means you can run Herczeg instead of Gozzog (card draw has historically been far more valuable then a couple points of damage/lifegain).

Drop Dragon Guard, add Corrupt Harvesters or Life Siphons - The Dragon Guard is unplayable in any deck. It is too slow, too small, and has an irrelevant ability. If you are casting a 6 mana spell in an aggro deck it should win you the game that turn (which a 6 mana Life Siphon could realistically do).

Drop Living Totem, add ???? - I would never play a 3/3, a 2/2 flyer, or 2/2 swiftstrike for 5 mana. That is horribly below the curve. If you ever get into a situation where using the Totem's ability is your best play, you are going to lose anyway. Shield Trainer may be the best option spoiled so far, but I would really hope for something better in the completed set.

Warlock Inquisitor and Corrupt Harvester aren't my favorite options, but both seem like reasonable choices given the Protectorate Clergyman.

All that being said, my bet is on a mono-color Ruby deck or a Ruby/Blood Orc deck similar to the following being the top tier aggro deck at release. http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=287
    Yea the mana curve in the deck is pretty bad, I'm really hoping that we do see dual resources officially spoiled to make it a little easier. If not I could run 4 Shards of Fate to try and manage.

The Righteous Paladin can swing for 4 on turn 3 with Gozzog. Just need to hit 1 Blood resource, 1 Charge Bot and with 2 drains pumps the Paladin to a 4/4, dealing 6 by turn 3 and gaining 2 life for myself. And Infernal Professor is an amazing card, why drop that if card draw is so important? You can control your draw and if you see something you don't need/want you draw the next card with a -1 cost and take damage to the CMC, which I can easily recover with Gozzog's charge power. Card Draw being more important than a life point or two is also entirely dependent on the format, of which doesn't exist yet.

Yea the Dragon Guard should go, ran him the first time to try it out and while it was nice recycling things from earlier in the game he didn't impact the board in any meaningful way. Dropped to add another Harvester and Siphon. Dropped the 4 Totems to add 2 Castigators and 2 Repels. The extra removal is always helpful and the 2 Castigators are a very legitimate threat if they cannot answer them immediately.

Check out my YouTube Channel for fun gaming videos and if you enjoy watching someone being bad at video games!

Hero of Adamanth
    I respectfully disagree on the comments about the living totem. There will be plenty of times that you can't use all your resource points in a turn such as holding back resources for a repel that you never ended up using since it is so easy to read, for example. Might as well toss them into your totem at the end of your opponent's turn if they decided that discretion is the better part of valor. If you don't spend those points it is just like you did spend them but got nothing for it. Which is worse? The totem can help you more efficiently use all your resources and that ability keeps the troop relevant throughout the entirety of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Maphalux View Post
    I respectfully disagree on the comments about the living totem. There will be plenty of times that you can't use all your resource points in a turn such as holding back resources for a repel that you never ended up using since it is so easy to read, for example. Might as well toss them into your totem at the end of your opponent's turn if they decided that discretion is the better part of valor. If you don't spend those points it is just like you did spend them but got nothing for it. Which is worse? The totem can help you more efficiently use all your resources and that ability keeps the troop relevant throughout the entirety of the game.
    I definitely agree that the totem is a beast of a creature, but I guess that comes down to the deck itself. When alpha rolls around he will be in this deck at first for sure, among others. I do feel he is better in control decks since they usually do have mana to spend at the end of opponents turns. In an aggro or midrange type deck where I want to be using as much of my mana as possible on my turn he might not be a good fit.

Of course this all speculation, the Living Totem will be a huge player in the PvP side of the game and the goal is to find the best deck he works with. If he works with this one then it works, otherwise I take them out and retune the deck another way. Dropping him here made me look for what else I could run, should he work well in the first place I'd keep him in