Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Q&A

Question Alpha Q&A

If you have any questions or comments, please discuss them in the forums and we’ll try to answer them as best as we can. Thanks again for all your support and prepare yourself, for HEX alpha is coming soon!
    This thread was created in an effort to consolidate a thread for your various questions in reference to the Alpha article. Just so we don't have various separate treads popping up all over the place.

If I missed anything, let me know! Preferably with details.

Additionally, you may refer to:

HEX Alpha Discussion: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112
    HEX Alpha Bug Report: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Note: All Eligible Tiers are invited to Alpha! CZE Champions have also been invited!

If you are a Grand King, Dragon Lord, Primal, Immortal, or Producer and have yet to receive your invite, please check your junk email or spam email folder.

If you still do not have an invitation, please open a ticket here with the subject line of "HEX - Invite": http://cryptozoic.kayako.com/

Please use that customer service portal only for this reason. This is the only HEX issue that can be resolved via this customer service portal. Thank you.
    Let’s start with the first one; it’s pretty simple. We are inviting another 3,000 people into the Alpha. Invites are going out right now and will continue throughout the day. All Raid Leaders, Guild Masters, Pro Players, Dungeon Crawlers, and Collectors will join the alpha. If all goes well, we hope to get on a regular and expedited runway to inviting everyone into the game. I apologize that this is taking longer than I hoped, but that’s the nature of Alpha and software development—it’s all about discovering the unknown. The glitch-filled, buggy unknown…
    King (and early bird King) are going out today, so check that inbox! Welcome to HEX Alpha!
    Quote Originally Posted by OP_Kyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawdonkey View Post
    Hi Dunnagh,

Were you a CZE Champion during your WoWTCG days? We all received Hex invites today so it is probably relating to this.

As stated the email is legit so go nuts
    This
    15,000 Alpha invites are in the process of being sent out. Check your in boxes!

http://hextcg.com/all-in/
    All Slacker Backers are getting the invite! Welcome!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory_Jones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldack View Post
    Now that all invites are going out, if someone donates a slacker backer after today, will they get an immediate invite?
    that is correct!
    tell your friends!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggySan View Post
    Keep in mind, slacker backer invites can take up to 72 hours to be sent. If you haven't received your invite by this time. Please register and submit a ticket at support.hextcg.com. Please include the email you used to purchase an account and your transaction ID, and we will be able to get you into the game.

Shaggy
    Last edited by Kami; 01-09-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Responses from our Purple Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Daer View Post
    Is there any kind of matchmaking, even if it just matches you with someone at random? Or do we need to manually challenge someone to a game?

What is the top level of the account? Should we name our account what we want as a character name or a keep name?
    No auto Matchmaking but you will go into a "lobby" and you can see other players and challenge them

Quote Originally Posted by Xtopher View Post
    For example, Cory, will there be an opportunity to register our user names before alpha? Will everyone get to register at the same time or will it be by tiers or alpha access order? If before, when will it be? Could we do it now?

Beyond that, I'm satisfied.
    Yes you will be registering names as you enter the Alpha, we are figuring out how to order entry of Alpha backers (and if its even feasible to use the Kickstarter data as a metric, such as level of pledge)

Quote Originally Posted by MoikPEI View Post
    I'm wondering about hard min specs for Alpha.
    VERY LOW, I don’t have exact data for you at this point, but the game is not a hardware hog

Quote Originally Posted by Dralon View Post
    We will be registering user names as we enter alpha.

Do you know the plans for registering guild names? Will this be on alpha entry, tied to user names, or is this going to be introduced when PVE content is begun to roll out, and tied to character names. If the answer at this point is "We don't know for sure", that is fine, but if you do know, I know many guilds are planning to register at the first opportunity.

Thanks Cory, and excited to see that alpha light coming down the track we are all tied to
    Guild names are later, that will be part of Beta / PVE launch

Quote Originally Posted by Malakili View Post
    But it was stated long ago that we will have the opportunity to merge multiple kickstarter pledge levels into one account so we can keep everything in one place. This is what I, and others, are asking about. I want everything under one login in the end, and they said it would be possible.
    This is just for Alpha (when you can't buy things and don't get your KS rewards other than the Alpha invite), when we get to Beta the merging of accounts will be available.

Hope this helps

Sorry about any confusion. When creating your account name, you should think of it as naming your Lord or Lady. Like a surname. Not necessarily naming a building.

As far as Kickstarter rewards and merging accounts, that'll happen when we go open Beta. The current system is only for alpha, and we are using the emails provided to us by Kickstarter.

In PVP, if your Lord or Lady is named "ERIC" it'll be CHAMPION NAME of ERIC. So, Gozzog of Eric will appear if you choose the Necrotic Warrior PVP Champion.

For those of you with multiple pledges, this is just for alpha, but you should use one of those pledges to create the Lord or Lady name you desire.

For Chat, you'll see the Lord or Lady name.

Quote Originally Posted by Avignon View Post
    If I have 2 pledges, can I get a friend to use the second to play alpha, and then still merge them come alpha?
    Yeah, that's the plan.

As far as keep/character names, clearly the community feels strongly about this and we'll be going through the different opinions, discussions on this throughout the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
    Any chance at surveys being sent out to gather emails rather than using the ones tied to the accounts we pledged with? That would solve my problem of wanting to gift these accounts to friends by just letting me put their info in from the start.
    That's around 20,000 surveys to process at this point. I don't see that happening, but we'll have to provide an option so they're not logging in with YOUREMAIL3 for the rest of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowelf View Post
    Well they said that ;

-We'll be streaming on Tuesday, October 8th at Noon on our Twitch page
    (update #49 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ard-game/posts)

-and we're going to stream that alpha version right before we send it all to you.
    (update #45 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ard-game/posts)

So rough estimate is Tuesday evening
    That's the plan! **fingers crossed**

10/7 - 5:36 PM

Hey all, here's our first update for Alpha! Hooray!

Good news, we've streamlined the patcher and we cut the time it takes to install by about half. Currently, we're battling some patcher issues unrelated to that streamlining and our engineers have committed to staying overnight to work on the problems. It's like the Jolt-cola, pizza fueled sleepovers of old but instead of Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam, it's fixing code and networking issues. I'll have more news on that front in the AM tomorrow (Tuesday).

We're doing our dry run of our stream tonight in practice for tomorrow (Tuesday) at Noon. The card spoiler PDF is being cobbled together by HEX team members, as is the Quick Start guide for new players.

That's all on this front. Expect an update sometime tomorrow either before the stream or on the stream.

10/8 - 12:23 PM

Hey all. We got the game up and running, the patcher is installing properly. We have two critical things we need to clean up before sending out the invites, so we'll keep you abreast of when those are fixed and when the invites will go out to Grand Kings through Producers. We can't commit to anything at this time, but should give you an update by 4 PM Pacific.

Both the Quick Start Guide and the spoiler PDF are complete and will be posted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    why would it take 'a few weeks' for slacker backers to get in? I am not happy with this. Guess we are the second-class citizens around here.
    I am literally guessing when I say "weeks." Basically, we can't give any specific date or time because we don't have anyone on the server, but community members were speculating and passing around that information, so I wanted to give some sort of window.

Nobody is a second class citizen, but we can't have 20,000 users hitting our server at the same time. I can think of a few games that exist at this very moment that couldn't handle that number of concurrent. We'll get in people as soon as we can.

10/8 - 4:20 PM

All available resources are on getting the alpha ready to send out. We're spinning up another loader hoping to address two issues preventing us from moving forward:

1 - User emails being displayed instead of user names when players look for a game
    2 - The EULA not populating properly in the client

We'll have word in about 60 to 90 minutes if that fix resolves those issues.

In the meantime, we've published the Set 1 PDF and you'll find that on the HEXTCG homepage in the next 15 minutes. Remember that the unscripted cards are not on this list, so this list of cards will be a work in progress as our HEX team scripts the cards in the client.

Thanks again for all your patience and support as we get through these last few hurdles.

10/8 - 5:45 PM

We're currently downloading the client and our testers are going to give it a spin, see if the issues are resolved. If so, the QA team is going to test the client to try and see if anything else broke. If not, our engineers will keep hammering on it. Not literally, with hammers, but with keyboards and code and text and stuff.

Sorry to disappoint, but it doesn't look like we'll be sending invites today. We'll have an update on 10/9 around 11 AM to inform everyone on where we're at. Thanks for your patience and support!

10/9 - 11 AM

Success! We were able to resolve the two bugs and invites will begin at noon for people from Grand King up through Producer. We'll be posting a larger Kickstarter update after.

The Quick Start guide needs some work, and that's where the majority of my own time and resources will be going.

Thanks everyone for your patience and we'll have those invites out soon.

10/9 - 1:15 PM

Launch! The first wave of invites were sent out about 15 minutes ago for backers from Grand King up through Producer.

You can see more about the Launch on our Kickstarter update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/623888

10/9 - 4:50 PM

Hey all. For those of you in the game, we hope you're enjoying your first experience with HEX with this alpha client.

The servers will be brought down at times this evening and overnight to resolve download speed issues for players installing the client. We are aware of the issue and taking steps to remedy it. Note that this is alpha, so our engineers will often bring down servers to do work throughout the entirety of the alpha period.

If you are a Grand King, Dragon Lord, Primal, Immortal, or Producer and have yet to receive your invite, please check your junk email or spam email folder. If you still do not have an invitation, please open a ticket here with the subject line of "HEX - Invite": http://cryptozoic.kayako.com/ Please use that customer service portal only for this reason. This is the only HEX issue that can be resolved via this customer service portal. Thank you.

10/9 - 7:42 PM

It seems that some game hangups are happening with Buccaneer and Wild Root Dancer. The "Pass Priority" button isn't properly appearing. If you hit spacebar when the game hangs up, the game will pass priority and you can continue on.

From one of our engineers who runs HEX on Windows 8

We developed it on Windows 8 and definitely can run HEX on Windows 8. They may want to run as an Administrator because HEX does need to add/change files and currently installs to C:\Program Files(x86)\, which requires escalated permissions. You may want to tell them to run as Administrator and see if that works. There shouldn’t be any other special hoops to jump through.
    Last edited by Kami; 11-21-2013 at 12:55 PM.

More responses

10/10 - 9:32 AM

We are currently experiencing an issue with game creation. Players can get in the game and build decks, but no games are able to be played right now. We are investigating the issue and will update as we have more concrete information.

Thanks for your patience.

10/10 - 10:03 AM

The game creation servers are back up! Additionally, the CDN has been upgraded so players should be experiencing a much faster download time.

10/10 - 6:23 PM

I'm moving through the Cryptozoic customer service queue to help people who should've received keys and did not, as well as getting the Quick Start guide approved so people new to TCGs can have a document to help them understand the game. Our internal testers have given great feedback on keys, functionality, characters. You external testers have done a great job documenting bugs, and I have a HEX team member combing through the bug reports to get those to the engineers. The engineers also have their own forum accounts, so you may see them pop into threads to ask questions or get further information.

Our engineers have some initial server data and are making adjustments, plans based on that initial feedback. Twenty four hours of sample size isn't enough to make hard decisions on based on what we've seen, but we are collecting it and mapping out plans to execute in the near future. Overall, the game is up and players are playing.

As for players asking when we will be able to send out the second wave of invites, the nature of the issues we're handling don't allow me to make any projections on that. At this point, I prefer to announce things that we've done as opposed to things that we plan to do. That means we'll announce when the second wave has already been sent as opposed to trying to project when we can send the invites.

Quote Originally Posted by dwebber88 View Post
    It would be useful to know what you're working on in my opinion. Maybe share your checklist, make an attached suggestions part for it so you dont have to do all the thinking alone.
    Maybe in the future, but at this point there are so many pieces in play that it would be tough to decipher for anybody (especially for those without engineering experience; I certainly find myself asking a ton of layperson questions to them when we talk) and people could potentially draw erroneous conclusions about that information, then those conclusions become the discussion, which become the narrative, and suddenly there are expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sci3nce View Post
    Can you possible give us a hint on what the Criteria is that might let the 2nd wave begin? That is, is the stability of the server the deciding factor here or is it gameplay bugs? I only ask because I don't see many "disconnected" and "cannot connect to server" reports, most just gameplay bugs that I assume were expected. I just hope it's not the gameplay bugs we're waiting on.

I know that either way I have to wait, it just feels good knowing why I'm waiting.
    If players weren't familiar with the alpha process already, they are now in that fixing one thing can often break another. =)

As far as criteria, fixing the frozen or dropped games is certainly somewhere on the priority list. I'm not sure if that would gate a Wave 2 release, though. We're just going day-by-day with this; everything is part of an ongoing discussion. We see that some servers need more resources (so we need to request, secure those resources), others could do with less, and some code needs to be optimized in order to reduce some of the processes on those servers. Pretty standard stuff on that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebyss View Post
    Thank you for replying Shaqattaq. Means a lot and shows that we aren't just asking questions down an empty hallway. I understand not wanting to throw a random date out of when second wave will hit to avoid the heat it may generate, but at this point where so many dates have been set and none of them have been meet, most of us have learned to accept the dates as a mere suggestion. I and many others would simply just like a date where we can check back in to see if things have been moving along. It doesn't have to be an official date, we just want a date close to when CZE expects they should have wave 2 ready. Is that too much to ask for?
    I wish we could provide a date. When we get more things in place and more wrinkles ironed out, it's possible we'll be able to provide dates. But it's clear at this stage that there are too many variables and we don't want to let anybody down by giving out a speculative date, then potentially having to break that date. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but I think it's important to go about the process this way to avoid giving out any potentially wrong information and having people make plans on that information.

Alpha is for fixing bugs, getting some information on how users interact with our client. I want to use some of this time in order to evaluate the naming convention. Whether it changes or stays the same, I see us giving players a window to change their names sometime during the beta.

10/14 - 5:44 PM

Hey all. We collected a ton of great data from you all this weekend and through that we discovered four bugs that were causing stability problems, the "Pass Priority" button disappearing, and the "this user is already logged in" error. So, that's great. We're testing fixes over the next day to see if our proposed fixes solve the problems at hand. Thank you for all your help in that and we'll have another update tomorrow should we make some progress on that front.

We informed people for weeks leading up to the alpha on how we would go about distributing invites. We couldn't throw all 20,000 people at an untested server, and some people have hit the nail on the head here in terms of server load causing some bugs on its own. We decided to put the Grand Kings through Producers on first, but everyone will eventually get in. HEX will exist for years. Waiting a week or a few weeks for alpha access-- to a client that exists for testing-- is such an small percentage of how much time you'll be spending on this game. And our engineers are dedicated to getting the hardware stable in order to allow the next group of players into to the game.

We update nightly, sometimes twice a day if we have something relevant to say. We're averaging more than two posts per workday. These updates are a culmination of multiple people's workday, and sometimes the answer is "we can't say for certain that this will work." Fixes are tested by QA people in a staging environment, then implemented should those fixes work and not break anything else. For example, anybody who played the Gen Con build will recognize that one of these builds clearly caused us to lose some functioning cards, which we eventually need to bring back once we've gotten more backers into the server.

These unknowns prevent us from being able to project, promise specific dates about alpha access. That's just the nature of the beast. Certainly, being able to give everyone a date and being able to predict with reliable accuracy the dates we'd be able to allow people into the server would make everyone's job here much easier. But there are so many pieces in play that we're not able to give dates at this time, and to give hard dates on speculation, guesswork would show a lack of respect from us to the community. We recognize that people make plans based on dates given, and I respect that any date we give at this point must recognize that. Once we're able to safely add users to the server, we will do so. There is no scenario where we can add users and don't add those users immediately. I apologize that we can't give you specific dates at this time, but really, it's just not possible. When we can give dates, we will do so instantly. My fingers will be typing so fast on my keyboard to update the forums, Kickstarter page that they'll catch fire.

As far as funds being spent, the Kickstarter funds were used to staff up, finish the game, order art, and the like. A CZE employee paid for the puppy party out of his own funds. The HEX Con funds sit in an account, waiting to be used. Any suggestion that funds were used for anything else than HEX is ridiculous. It would be wildly illogical to have a successful Kickstarter, have people excited about a project, and then use that money to do anything other than get that product launched. It would also be dishonest, fraudulent. Consider the matter of discussing this in particular closed.

A reminder that for all alpha updates, you can read the Alpha forum here: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27943

Copulat0r is referring to my post. I will quote it here:

"As for players asking when we will be able to send out the second wave of invites, the nature of the issues we're handling don't allow me to make any projections on that. At this point, I prefer to announce things that we've done as opposed to things that we plan to do. That means we'll announce when the second wave has already been sent as opposed to trying to project when we can send the invites."

Again, as I mentioned today, we need to respect that people make plans based on information we give. I've had people ask me when they should take off work for alpha, so we need to be responsible when we go out with information that we're comfortable that something is actually happening as opposed to being tested in a QA staging environment.

There's also difference between having no information being released-- and information is being released daily, literal quotes like "We're testing fixes over the next day to see if our proposed fixes solve the problems at hand" from yesterday's update- and not having the specific information an individual wants released.
    Last edited by Kami; 10-22-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Even More Responses

Quote Originally Posted by GatticusFinch View Post
    Which will, as you said, coincide with when more people are added to the servers, correct? So there is not going to be any lengthy advanced ETA of the second wave like there was with the initial alpha? I think that is what the OP was asking.

I'm not trying to give you guys a hard time. I totally understand why you cannot give a new ETA. However, I do dispute where you said you warned everyone well in advance that this was how alpha access was going to work. Correct me if I am wrong, but the first time I saw anything about how it was going to be GK+ was in the update in which it was moved to October 8. That is what spawned those other two threads and they spiraled out of control when there was radio silence for five days.

I'm not saying this to complain, I am saying this so that CZE remembers that the rest of us are totally in the dark as to where progress is, so when you guys make statements, those statements are all we have to go on. When you said "alpha in September," we had nothing to go on but the assumption that means for everyone. There were a few people in those threads who were upset about not being in the alpha yet, but there were far more people who (1) understood why they were not in the alpha yet, but (2) were upset that the level of communication we have received lately has been lacking. It seems like we are worlds away from when Cory asked people to call him up to talk about the game. You set the bar pretty high and now we seem to be at Company Whose Name Will Not Be Mentioned levels of "when it's done" responses.

We are all hyped up to play your game. Our expectations are high, perhaps unreasonably so. More extensive explanation of where things are in development would go a long way to calm people down. This is the first Kickstarter project I have ever backed, and I am sure that is the same for a lot of people. Moreover, it is the most I have ever spent on a video game and I did it at a time based on hope and promises, just like everyone else. We just want to feel a little more "in the know." If that is not possible, just say so.
    I appreciate that, and I understand that there's tension here. The community wants as much information possible, but we have to be careful what information is shared in order to manage expectations, only say things in which we can commit to. Like I said earlier, people were planning work vacations based on information we put out. I won't have someone burn up a week of vacation time based on our projected dates.

There was no radio silence for 5 days. We didn't update over the weekend, and we updated Monday night just as we committed to doing our nightly updates. The engineers were working and we didn't have anything solid to share. The engineers are always working.

The lack of information flowing is the nature of the situation we're in right now. A lot of pieces are in flux, and things can change on an hourly basis. That's not to say our engineers are unskilled. Some of our recent acquisitions have out-of-this-world resumes and work experience, as well as a passion for the game we're trying to make. As things settle with the client and the engineering, we'll be able to share more. So, you can expect more information as we get further along, and you can expect things to be more reliable. As much as the community wants dates, we can't provide them if they don't exist. And Monday's update was pretty specific about the issues we found (stability, bugs), as well as what the next step was (testing the proposed fixes).

I appreciate that emotions are heated now only in that people want to get into HEX because they're passionate and love this game. Trust me in that we feel connected to you. Many of us stay after hours to play games against the community, chat with users. We've gone out to our community itself with job listings, both the community manager position and an engineering position. One of our engineers is a Dragon Lord!

Over time, you'll see communication open up as everything is more reliable, predictable. But overall, a lot of requests I'm seeing are for things that honestly, just aren't in a position or condition to be made public at this time and if they were shared, would be changing daily and just set people up for confusion in the cases where people saw one update, internalized that information, and then did not see the next update that changed everything we had just said. That's the nature of information at this stage in development.

Quote Originally Posted by GatticusFinch View Post
    See, why does that have to be a rumor though? Why can't they just come out and say "we have a patch on the way that we hope will fix all these issues?" If it works, fantastic. If it doesn't, at least we know why it is taking longer and no one is going to sweat it.

I think CZE is so afraid of letting people down that they would rather just spring good news on us. The problem is that the absent mind tends to wander to the worst-case scenario.
    Maybe that'll be in the 6 PM update. Again, we committed to doing nightly updates. The updates will happen at night, sometimes during the day if we have something breaking to share. As for how that was released, it shouldn't have been shared with anybody as people shouldn't feel that some users have "inside information" while the rest of the community is left out.

10/15 - 6:18 PM

We have a stability patch that has gone through a day worth of QA and so far, it's working. Again, this is addressing a good portion of the hang-up "Pass Priority" bugs we've been able to identify, as well as the log-in problems people have been experiencing when the log-in server tells the player that he or she is already logged in. Thanks for all your patience and help with this, alpha players. We'll have another update tomorrow.

I just spoke to the person who speaks for that project. It's on the to-do list, but right now we're focused on getting the servers stable and the client going. He projected end-of-alpha or sometime during the beta. It's regrettable and I want to offer our apologies, but we have so many other issues that take priority over getting the Mac client going. We know we committed to making HEX run native on Mac products and we will make good on that commitment. I'll be posting this in the Friday update to let the collective community know.

Until we're able to deliver that, we recommend using Bootcamp or another solution in order to play the HEX alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
    Saw an individual with the keep name Penis.

While i certainly chuckled like a middle schooler, imagining Lady of Penis/Lord of Penis. I really don't want names to turn into the arms race for the most offensive. Recommend tightening the restrictions.
    Yeah, I saw that this weekend and in the Kickstarter update I'm going to let players know that if I see an inappropriate name, I'm going to name them something like FuzzyBunny or SneezyPanda or whathaveyou.

10/16 - 11:44 AM

We'll be deploying a stability patch on Thursday, 10/17 at 10:00 AM Pacific. We expect the server will be down for 1 hour. We'll have more information tomorrow, including patch notes. Thanks for your patience everyone. Hopefully this will solve many of the issues you're experiencing.

10/16 - 8:02 PM

We're currently working on the next patch to come after Thursday's patch, and everything is still a go for tomorrow morning's stability patch. It's passed the remaining QA and has the green light for tomorrow. We'll give you patch notes tomorrow after the patch is successful.

10/17 - 10 AM

Servers are now down for the 10 AM patch. We expect servers to be down for 1 hour. You can keep up-to-date on any news here and on our Twitter account @HEXTCG. Thank you for your patience.

10/17 - 10:15 AM

HEX Alpha Patch version 812

General
    • General stability and crash fixes.
    • Framerate is now locked to 60 FPS.
    • Players will now get a pop up on server connection loss.
    • Added version number to patcher screen.
    • Midnight Shepherd was causing stability issues so has been temporarily removed.

Chat
    • Players can now chat while waiting on matchmaking.
    • Chat defaults on when entering a match.
    • Chat will automatically appear on the game screen when receiving a message.
    • Players can now correctly scroll through chat.
    • Chat window is moveable. It can also be resized by pulling the bottom right corner.
    • /whisper, /w, and /t now works to send private messages to other players.
    • Chat should no longer appear multiple times when switching lobbies.

User Interface
    • The client now remembers the resolution and sound setting properly from session to session.
    • Alpha_Collection no longer appears in the deck list.
    • Champion selection screen is now scrollable.
    • Added a “Remember Me” checkbox on the login screen.
    • Players can now paste into the login and password fields.

New Known Issues
    • Users may have to log out and log back in again the first time connecting to the update.
    • If the patch downloads each time you start the client please click the ‘Repair Install’ button after completing the patch.
    • Game Victory/Defeat screen has a big purple circle.

10/17 - 11 AM

HEX Alpha is back up and open for business. Load up your client and you will begin patching. The content delivery network is currently populating, so download speeds will be initially slow and improve over time. Thank you for your patience.
    Last edited by Kami; 10-17-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Yet Even More Responses

Edit: This event has been cancelled. We will provide a new date, time early next week.

HEXers! We need your help in a mighty battle against... our AI server. IT'S MUCH SCARIER AND TOUGHER THAN YOU'D THINK!
    For those of you in the alpha, we need to stress test the AI server. Please log into the game on Friday, 10/17 (that's tomorrow) and play games against the computer (AI games) from 5 to 5:30 pacific (that's Los Angeles time). We'll have engineers monitoring the server, client and generating reports. We need your numbers to really put some heat on this silicon scourge, so please participate if you can. Thank you!

10/17 - 5:54 PM

Hey all. We've successfully patched and so far things look good on our end. We're monitoring for possible problems, checking bug reports, and the general housekeeping involved when patching. We're continuing work on the next patch as well.

For those of you in the alpha, we need your help to stress test our AI server. We've put out a Call to Arms for assistance in slaying the beast, or at least giving her a good run. Please log in and select Play AI matches from 5 PM to 5:30 PM Pacific on Friday, October 18th. That's Los Angeles time. Thank you in advance for assisting us!

10/18 - 10:40 AM

Hey all. We're currently down and investigating. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Our engineering team has decades of experience and they've worked on some of the biggest video games (and consoles) in the world, some in senior positions. Please trust that the team knows what they need in order to be successful and do their jobs. The stress test is important, so please help them be able to gather the information they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Shaq, has there been any progress on people who don't have cards in their alpha account? I'll wait until release if I have to, but I'm champing at the bit to alpha test!
    We've been discussing that problem over the last couple of days. We with certainty know what happened, but it's in debate what is the best way to fix the problem out of the proposed solutions. My plan is to hit up the engineers today when they have a moment to make a final decision on how to deal with that particular issue. Our apologies that we've been a bit slow in solving that problem.

In a chat the other day this is about what they said.
    no no no...
    we are actively trying to fix the things we have found that create show stopping events, we are working hard on it and we are getting close, as soon as we have this figured out we will bring in more people, it should be soon

Hey all. We're going to cancel the 5 PM alpha stress test. We will give a new date, time early next week. Thanks for attempting to help out.

Something was updated in addition to the client patch on Thursday and we feel that might be causing the issues, but we're not sure at the moment. Our team continues to work on the problem.

10/18 - 5:14 PM

Engineers were able to pin the problem to a hardware failure. We've staged an entirely new environment on new hardware, so you can once again log-in, but your keep name and custom decks are in the old environment. Fret not, your keep name and custom decks will return on Monday or Tuesday. Our engineers will be monitoring the new environment and may take the server down for 5-10 minutes this evening for resource allocation. Otherwise, you are welcome to log-in and play.

Edit: Some users are experiencing the wrong number of cards or that some cards are missing. "Repair Install" seems to be solving that problem.

10/21 - 10:45 AM

We've fixed the hardware issue and you will be returning to your original account, keep name. We were also able to take advantage of the setup this weekend to solve three different bugs that were hitting us-- the occasional servers going down or locking up, as well as an AI lockup.

Hi HEXers. We're putting out a Call to Arms again for today, Monday October 21st at 5 PM Pacific. Please log into the alpha servers and choose "Play AI" from the main menu.

Someday, in the future wars of our world where man fights machine, you'll be able to say that you've been battling AI for years, maybe even decades. This experience will serve you well in those dark times. So, please help us slay the server. Thank you!

Hey everyone. Thank you for participating. The engineers were able to gather the data they needed and you all performed admirably. Unfortunately, the server still stands, but next time, Gadget, next time! You may go back to your regularly scheduled PVP beatdowns.

10/21 - 7:55 PM

Thank you to everyone who participated in the alpha stress test. The engineers have the information they need. We are continuing to work on the next patch, and we have some special announcements coming this week. Please keep an eye on the Kickstarter updates page and on HEXTCG.com.

10/22 - 5:45 PM

Slow news day.

The next patch is progressing. No show-stoppers yet, so that's great.

We also said that we'd have some announcements, and we'll have more on that later this week.

10/23 - 6:48 PM

We've been working on back end improvements based on the data we received in the AI stress test. So, thank you again to everyone who participated. We're polishing up the next patch, which will include some new cards and far more crisp images where the images were previously a bit sketchy. Yes, the whole time it was fuzzy images on our end. You can cancel the eye doctor appointment.

On the R&D front, the team is nearly done with set 2 and spent a few hours today chain-running PVE dungeons.

I spoke to engineering and it should not be possible to delete cards out of collections, and we're in the final stages of a fix for anybody who is missing cards.

I realize this process takes time and everyone wants into the client asap. We certainly want you in and gaming. We are rolling out invites in groups because our engineers need information on how different services react, where we need to allocate resources, how elements of our network scale dependent on users, and more.

We're monitoring our hardware now with the new users, continuing to fix bugs, addressing some previous issues with players' collections. Part of the process is gaining all this information from players logging in, accessing parts of the game, and eventually stress testing certain systems. That gives the engineers information on how to model certain parts of the game, where they can make improvements, and where we need more physical hardware. Then once they have the information they need, that process gives them the answer to the invite question. We need that information first, so that's why we can't give an answer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyHarper View Post
    Well, I finally got in. Definitely seemed to be that I was trying a keep name that was already taken. Wish there was a pop-up message to users simply stating that fact, to avoid the hassle of keeping people waiting. It was a frustrating experience not knowing what's going on.
    Sorry about that. It's definitely on our list of things that need to happen sooner than later, along with a message on when our servers are intentionally down as opposed to someone having a problem logging in.

10/24 - 5:35 PM

In case you hadn't heard, we invited over 3,000 backers to the alpha servers today. Our engineers will be gathering information and testing our hardware with the new users.

There will be downtime tomorrow morning at 10 AM Pacific in order to patch the HEX alpha client. We'll be publishing patch notes tomorrow morning and you check both here and our Twitter account @HEXTCG for any updates.
    Last edited by Kami; 10-24-2013 at 06:08 PM.

So Many Responses

General
    - Fixed AI logic to remove some instances of games versus AI hanging. If you do get a hang the first thing to try is to hit the space bar a few times.
    - Fixed some more issues of the Pass Priority bar not appearing. There are still more so keep those reports coming!
    - When you log in, your collection will be compared to a master list of available cards. If you are missing any cards they should now be replaced.
    - Many fuzzy images are now much sharper.
    - Hex Moon on the matchmaking screen is no longer blinding.
    - Some instances of game stalling have been addressed. There are still more out there.
    - You can no longer select illegal decks.
    - The challenge prompt will time out in 90 seconds.

User Interface
    - You can now change your password from the Options menu.
    - Slight increase to rendering speed in the Card Manager.
    - Advanced search filters now work in the Card Manager.
    - Keywords and their descriptions will show up on a zoomed card.

Chat
    - First time users will no longer show up as a number in chat.
    - A message is limited to 140 characters.
    - Text typed into the Add Player field is no longer shared in the Ignore Player field.
    - Whispers should no longer lose their color when you move from one screen to another.
    - Whispers now tell you who to whom it was sent.
    - Chat box is now moveable by clicking and dragging anywhere in the box.

Gems
    - Gem Socketing is in.
    - Every account has been given all working gems for testing purposes.
    - Prime Blood Orb of Brutality (Major); [BLOOD]: When this troop enters play, it deals damage equal to its [ATK] to target champion.
    - Diamond of Lifedrain (Minor); [DIAMOND][DIAMOND]: Lifedrain
    - Prime Diamond of Endurance (Major); [DIAMOND]: When this troop enters play, your champion gains health equal to its [DEF].
    - Ruby of Ferocity (Minor); [RUBY]: Speed
    - Prime Ruby of Intensity (Major); [RUBY][RUBY]: When this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, gain 2 temporary resource points.
    - Sapphire of Sky (Minor); [SAPPHIRE][SAPPHIRE]: Flight
    - Prime Sapphire of Mind (Major); [SAPPHIRE][SAPPHIRE]: When this troop deals damage to a champion, draw a card.
    - Wild Orb of Conservation (Minor); [WILD][WILD]: Spellshield
    - Prime Wild Orb of Strength (Major); [WILD]: When this troop enters play, target troop you control has +[ATK]/+[DEF] each equal to this troops [ATK] and [DEF] this turn.
    - Prime Wild Orb of Dominance (Major); [WILD][WILD]: When this troop deals damage to a champion, create a Rhinoceros and put it into play.

Cards
    - Royal Falconer has been added.
    - Shamed Gladiator: His effect will no longer go off when the next card is played.
    - Protectorate Defender: This card will now enter the warzone normally.
    - Wild Root Dancer: Continue button is now visible when the ability is activated.
    - Wild Root Dancer: The trigger action will no longer hand when the card is in play and a resource is used.
    - Nelebrin Scout: The scout was getting stuck on the chain after attacking. It won't now.
    - Sensei of the Wounded Petal: Will now gain health when as the card describes.

Champions
    - Nin the Shadow: Charge power will now show up in the tool tip.
    - Champion portraits now appear in the Card Manager.

New Known Issues
    -- Friends section of chat box is not yet functional.
    -- Hitting ESC to concede does not work while you have priority (Space Bar + Esc will get you there)

10/25 - 10:45 AM

Alpha servers are back up and there is a new patch available: 812-B. You may now game again. Best of luck in your battles.

10/25 - 6:22 pm

So far everything is stable and the patch was implemented successfully. Engineers are continuing to monitor our systems and deploy hot fixes when possible.

Its 2AM Friday night, Chris is still here at work and making major breakthroughs.
    Everyone on this team has given up years of their life to make it a reality, they deserve all the credit. I couldn’t be more impressed and proud of each and every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesiN View Post
    I am assuming that this interface was tossed together for the sake of being able to test the socket system and the gems in general. I have a few recommendations.
    Quote Originally Posted by NemesiN View Post
    Make it so the interface automatically pops up when you are adding the card in, kind of like a gateway. You can just have the card displayed in the center of the screen with the 5 colors of gems displayed outwards in a star formation. Each line would, going outwards, be minor - major, in that order. The player could click and drag a gem to the card to socket it and then it would add it to your deck with that socket or they can just double click the card and it would add it "naked".
    Also, I don't know if your card text is currently dynamic, but I would definitely like the see the Gem effect text replace the [Socketable Minor] text on the card.
    this is correct, its not final (not even close)

10/28 - 5:22 PM

We are set to patch tomorrow (10/29) at 10 AM Pacific and our expected downtime is 1 hour. The major points of this patch are stability, fixing some collection issues, and continued work on the Pass Priority bug. Patch notes will be available tomorrow.

I'll also be sending out Apprentice Program tests today, so keep those applications coming!

If you are still having this issue:
    PM me your login (NOT your password. I don't need it.).
    I will be able to check if your password has been changed from the original that was emailed to you.
    I can then make sure your login works.
    Then, I can reset it to the original password that was sent to you and you can try the process again.
    It is possible that there was something odd about the new password, as discussed above.

Looks like the system doesn't like when you use special characters for your password.
    For the time being, please refrain from using them when changing your passwords.
    We are working on why this is happening now so that it can be patched in.

Spoke too soon.
    Passwords were limited to 15 characters. So if you changed your password to something longer, it truncated it to 15 characters.
    Fixed this, so future passwords won't have this issue, up to 64 characters.
    You can use special characters all you like, too.
    It was purely a coincidence that our long password users were also using special characters.
    Like minded secure types we have playing the game it seems.

As before, if you still have issues, PM me.
    But if you changed it to a long password, just stop at 15 characters then fix it when you log in.

HEX Patch Notes v0.813 – 10/29/13

General
    - We have been having an issue where the Pass Priority bar was not appearing in matches which made them impossible to complete. We have fixed the known causes of this problem. If this happens to you in a game versus another player please report it on the Alpha bug forums.
    - Improved server stability.
    - [ESC] now properly brings up the concede window when you have priority.
    - Players will now receive a complete collection on log in, and should never see a partial collection in the card manager.

Chat
    - When your friends are online they will appear in the chat box.
    - You can click on a friends name to send a whisper.
    Gems
    - Blood Orb of Ferocity now correctly grants Rage 1.
    - Diamond of Duty now correctly grants +1[ATK] / +1[DEF].
    - Prime Diamond of Solidarity now correctly grants +1[ATK] / +1[DEF] to all your troops when he damages a champion.
    - Gems now have the correct shard icons in their game text.
    - Gems now display the correct shard icons on the socket area of a card.

Cards
    - Troops with Lifedrain now correctly award health when they deal damage to a champion.
    - Construction Plans: War Hulk is now functioning properly.
    - New Card! - Construction Plans: Inspiration Engine

New Known Issues
    - The gameplay tool tips from the Gem selection window have temporarily vanished.

10/29 - 11:05 AM

Servers are back up and the patch was successful. You can read the patch notes here.

10/30 - 5:57 PM

Our engineers continue to work on the next patch and are gathering data from the current userbase. Outside of client development, I sent out another wave of Cryptozoic Apprentice tests so we're up to date on those, and the first batch of returned tests went to R&D. The Quick Start guide is ready for publication this week, and it's Wednesday game night. That means our local Cryptozoic fans are coming in for pizza, as well as the chance to test our dungeons for the first time. Whoo!

11/1 - 6:19 PM

We're still working on the next patch, the draft client is coming along, and we're looking into Pass Priority bugs that came up post patch 813. Enjoy the weekend, fans.

11/4 - 5:29 PM

We're patching tomorrow (11/5) at 10 AM PDT to fix some bugs, add some cards, and generally improve the player experience. You'll be able to find patch notes posted at that time, and we expect downtime to last approximately 1 hour.
    Last edited by Kami; 11-04-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Responses Galore

General
    More fixes to increase overall game stability.
    Tool tips added to all cards in the Card Manager.
    Added new Champion Keep background art.
    Usernames can no longer use numbers or symbols.
    New font added but not final.

Chat
    Word wrap improved.

Cards and Champions
    When a card being targeted changes zone, the effect now correctly fizzles (eg, target troop gets +1/+1 permanently will not resolve if the targeted card is murdered in response.)
    Fixed a bug that caused Crash of Beasts not to create Rhino tokens.
    Champions can now use their abilities more than once in a game.
    New Card Added: Xarlox the Brood Lord.

New Know Issue
    If you shift-click a card in the Card Manager you will lose your chat box until you log out and back in again. We are working on adding the ability to shift-click and adding a card to chat but the functionality is not complete.

Some players did not receive Xarlox upon log-in and we've solved that issue. Xarlox is now in players's collections.

11/5 - 9:47 PM

We successfully patched this morning. Some players did not initially receive Xarlox, which was solved quickly. We're looking at some hangups in the AI games, and we're monitoring server performance with the patch. Work continues on the next patch.

Our servers are currently experiencing a bottleneck with accounts being created. We apologize to those experiencing this issue. You are welcome to wait for your account to be created, or you could create your character at a different time when there are fewer users registering. On a positive note, this invite group was very helpful for the engineers identifying different resource requirements, processes with this increased number of users. So, thanks for being great alpha testers, Kings!

Update: I've talked to engineering and we've been able to hash out specifically what's happening. Again, thank you to everyone who helped us identify this issue and this will absolutely help us in the future avoid these issues when we have more users. We also identified an opportunity to exponentially improve the process for assigning cards and creating accounts, and luckily we were able to implement that fix live. So, if you are in line creating an account, the line is processing faster than it was 3 hours ago.

For those of you who have submitted a keep name and then tried to submit another keep name, only to be told that your second keep name has been taken, you are getting that error because your request for your first keep name is still in queue. If you close your client, this does not reset your request. That means you also do not have to wait with the client open in order to create your account. You're free to close the client and go about your day (or night).

For those of you in-line to have your account created, the current best option is to wait it out. We have some ways to optimize the process for the future, but all these fixes basically require us to restart the process for all the users. We apologize for the wait and appreciate the patience you're showing, and thank you again for helping us test this process for alpha.

Update: It appears that some new user accounts may be hung up or not properly generating. Our engineers are looking in to that issue right now and they hope to have an update for affected users in the morning.

Awesome patch, thanks

Does this mean that spaces are still allowed ?
    We pushed the patch with spaces still allowed in names, but players should not use spaces. Eventually, we will remove that funtionality and those with spaces will need to choose a name that fits in the allowed parameters.

11/6 - 8:16 PM

We invited 4,000 users to the alpha today and got back some good data. So, thank you new users. Unfortunately, some of that work was finding a bug in our new user creation system at this volume. Our engineers are working on the problem. We will have more information for affected users in the morning. We greatly appreciate your patience.

11/7 - 10:06 AM

Last night, the server crashed during account creation. Our engineers reset the accounts of those affected. Some people's accounts were created without a problem while others will have to create a House name due to the reset. We had a problem with users being stuck at Loading Data this morning, and we've resolved that issue as well.

Everything is running smoothly now. Thank you for your patience.

11/7 - 6:00 PM

Our engineers are currently taking a look at some accounts with name problems, some sync/pass priority errors, and other bugs that came up this afternoon. They're monitoring the situation and trying to isolate those issues.

11/8 - 5:51 PM

We implemented a client-side patch today that should fix games going out of sync. Our engineers are working on the issues with people unable to log-in or with a bugged keep name. if you haven't already, please submit a ticket at Cryptozoic.Kayako.com if you're experiencing either of those two issues. Monday is a US holiday, so we'll be back in the office on Tuesday. Have a great weekend.

11/12 - 6:14 PM

We're patching tomorrow (11/13) at 10 AM. This will fix some in-game bugs, provide some enhanced functionality, and add a card to the game.

If you continue to have issues with your account name stemming from invites sent last week, please submit a ticket at http://cryptozoic.kayako.com/

PATCH NOTES
    -Triggered abilities no longer use the chain. We would love to have your feedback on this change!
    -Added tooltips when you hover over keywords on cards while in a match.
    -Added a button to the concede screen to tell us when you believe a game cannot continue. Please only use this when you think the game is broken.
    -Replaced deck building drop down list with icons in Card Manager.
    -Command Tower and Air Superiority now work properly again.
    -Keep name creation is now properly disallowing spaces.

NEW KNOWN ISSUE
    -Crush is not assigning its crush damage.

I'd say it's a cleaner presentation, but not necessarily a push towards simplification. Clearly HEX has a level of depth that most digital card games can't match. Ultimately, the complexity and ability for players to have their skill make an impact on the game is about the card design and how R&D chooses to build sets, how they design cards to work within this engine change. Our team will still design cards and sets where skill matters, and ultimately this change will provide much more appealing gameplay for everyone.

Dan Clark's explanation of changes can be found here: http://hextcg.com/patch-changes-and-the-chain/

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    Yeah, it will defintely lower the skillcap, while forcing those same players who are used to playing a certain way play cards before they would normally 'have' to - giving an edge to the player with triggered abilities. But without actual counters, it just means you have to be transparent about what you intend to do, and get it over with ASAP. A shame, but not game breaking.

Still, time will tell. I would rather this was optional though, but thats hard to deal with.
    It doesn't have to lower the skillcap as R&D designs cards, decks with the engine in mind. This is something we've been contemplating for months, watching people actually play our game and seeing their frustration spending most of their time interacting with the client by passing priority.

Triggered abilities not using the chain may change the way you're used to playing, but each player has to play by the same rules and the decisions you make are within the context of the game. There are still many opportunities to make better decisions than your opponent.

We are definitely looking for your feedback on this and please, once you've had a few days to interact with the client and contemplate the upside, downsides to the change, please let us know how you feel.
    Last edited by Kami; 11-14-2013 at 06:19 AM.

R-r-r-r-responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    Thats a fair point - if it is impossible to burn the paladin like you say, then this is a VERY bad change. There are a lot of inspire effect that would put key cards out of burn range.
    This is contextual. What it does is make the Inspire guy a higher priority kill than it would be previously, and it also may change the value of the cards in the set where some higher-damage cards are more valuable than lower damage cards. I ask that you not evaluate the change without playing with it for a couple days, as you may find the speed and immersion of the game more valuable than how two cards in set 1 interact in very specific circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    While it might be limiting options, that's not the same thing as lowering the skill cap or simplifying the game.

Consider: your opponent is going to secretly select one of two moves, A, or B. You can also choose to secretly select the counter to A, OR the counter to B. Then both selections are revealed simultaneously.

Now let's add a third choice : you can wait and see what move your opponent chose and then just choose to play the appropriate counter before your opponents move resolves.

Did adding an additional option improve the game? No, because that option was obviously superior to all other options and a no-brainer choice. Adding such an option would be what actually simplified the game because there would be a clear and dominant strategy.
    This is a very good point. Thank you for bringing it up.

I can understand why people may like speed and simplicity, but i favor complexity and tight play; i consider that learning to properly use and/or taking advantage of the stack/chain is an integral part of strategic play and what separates the good from the average player. I usually am the last to complain about anything, and i'm willing to test this change before i come up with a verdict, but i am bit sceptical whether this change is really needed.
    Sure, we definitely want everyone's feedback. I can say personally that I showed HEX to many people since August and having to spend the majority of the game basically telling your opponent "yes, I have nothing to do here" was exhausting to players and a turn-off. You're entirely free to disagree, and we hope those who do will outline thoughtfully why they disagree with the change. You, Shadowelf, are certainly one of the most thoughtful voices in the community and I look forward to reading your opinion.

There are many opportunities to still make great plays and I think a game like HEX will always be a game where the skilled will succeed. TCGs that feature interaction, Pass Priority are inherently complex. As Kroan pointed out, there will still be decks like Robots where there are many triggers and complex boards where the skilled player can succeed and new players have incentive to improve. Removing these triggers maintains that complexity, skill-based game but cleans up a lot of the video game experience. In the abstract, we believe it makes the game more fun, and ultimately our goal is to make a game that's fun.

The R&D team has discussed that all these changes happen at once. I gave an example of what happens when you have a health-gain troop and a Fang of the Mountain God in play at 1 health, and all the effects happen at once and then the game checks if you're at 0 health. Same if you had a troop that gave +1/+1 to troops as they came into play and the opponent had a troop that gave something like -3/-3 as a troop came into play (which might be the least fun card ever printed, but I digress). Both would resolve, and then the troop checks if its dead.

Thanks. We think it'll be a big improvement as well.

We brought in an extra person to work on card effects, as well as a sound engineer to work on the audio effects for the game. I know that many people's reflexes in video games are trained to recognize audio triggers (like the sound a cooldown effect makes), so we want our game to work both visually and audibly.

Quote Originally Posted by HyenaNipples View Post
    It also closes the door on design space, doesn't it? What just seems like unnecessary priority passing now is really just empty game: its a place within the rules where there are currently few cards designed to exploit. This doesn't mean that these phases are useless, it means they are territory to further explore in the future. This exploration is inevitable as the game gains more quick actions as new sets are released.

This change firmly shuts the door on those possibilities, and I'm not confident that the base set is perfectly capable of testing the full ramifications of this change. This is a crossroads decision that will change the entire product, and as the journey is not even yet begun, why take the path which closes doors when there are plenty of other less-final UI options to explore.
    Our design team did not take this change lightly. This has been in discussion for months, and when they dug into the file and parsed out all the times when this would completely change gameplay-- like a combo doesn't work anymore-- they could only find two instances. The remaining examples just required a slight adaption to the way the cards interact. For example, when your opponent plays a Buccaneer (or any troop with a "Comes into play" ability), you'll have to respond to the troop being played since you can no longer respond to its ability. Although this difference isn't insignificant, the reality is that Buccaneer's power level, the circumstances under which you would play it, and the troop you're most likely to want to target with its ability, will largely be the same. You can imagine a corner case scenario where the difference feels more palpable; for example, if I play a Buccaneer while my opponent controls two ready troops with activated powers my opponent will have to do a little more thinking before deciding if he or she wants to respond to my buccaneer because I get to "wait" to choose my target. But this is not going to massively impact the game play you're used to, it's just going to be a slight detail shift to grow accustomed to.

Quote Originally Posted by knightofeffect View Post
    I do agree with Shaq about new players being turned off by the grind of passing priority. However, my friends that I showed it both commented on roostasaur's ability being extremely cumbersome, which would not be affected by this at all.

Regardless, testing will be done.
    We're definitely going to introduce things where you can pass your entire turn and other examples that will expedite gameplay, but the focus is on stability and getting people into the game right now.

Just to let players know, since it was brought up in this change, Inspire is an "As this troop enters play" effect and not a triggered effect. It has never gone on the chain in any version of HEX.

Quote Originally Posted by HyenaNipples View Post
    Finally: Thank you, Shaq, for your personal response to my post. I appreciate it, and this response is not designed to depreciate your rebuttal. I just felt the points in my initial post which I felt were most important had slipped away.
    Thank you for all your feedback. Our community is very special in that we're all built HEX together from the ground up, and we expect people to be emotionally invested in its well-being. We're always trying to do what's best for the playerbase as a whole and for the game, so we definitely want everybody's input when it comes to this decision.

11/14 - 6:10

We're getting good information and data from the latest patch, so thank you for helping us collect that information. Our engineers continue to work on the next patch, and we're continuing to work on the bugs people are experiencing regarding keep names and log-in problems. Thanks for your patience regarding those two bugs.

We have an engineer working on these bugs, but there's a bit of logjam with his time. Players can expect to continue to have this issue solved throughout the week, and I expect we'll be through these entirely as late as Tuesday night (11/19).

Quote Originally Posted by Userrr_Friendly View Post
    I Couldn't agree more with the above post.
    What surprises me is that CZE is about to make such a HUGE change in the game when half of the backers are not even invited in Alpha yet, and unless they are hardcore TCG games they cannot have a clear opinion on the matter.
    In my opinion removing triggered abilities from the chain is a bad and lazy way to "speed up" the game. i really hope they think twice about it
    This is what alpha is for, to test changes to the game that could be very beneficial to the game.

Additionally, we want people to give us feedback, but forums are representative of one specific group of people. We want opinions of hardcore TCG players, sure, but we have to consider the entire playerbase's experiences.

For those arguments that this cuts off design space, this change was developed by our R&D team. We've made multiple decisions behind the scenes with the long-term in mind, champion powers coming to mind as one that was discussed for weeks this past spring. If the R&D team feels that they have plenty of design space, then I'm going to trust them as they have the greatest incentive to make sure they have the tools they need to work.

I hear you

the point of Alpha is we have the chance to test a few things, there a few ways to come at this and we are looking at each, we have some ideas and you can expect to hear more about them soon
    Last edited by Kami; 11-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Lack of No Communication

11/18 - 5:30

Hey everyone!

Your normally scheduled updates will be temporarily commandeered by me for the next two weeks while Will is on vacation!

I may not have the eloquence of Will, but... I just wanted to make sure you knew that.

We have some good things in store for you this week.
    -- We're letting in more players to the Alpha! Possibly as soon as tomorrow
    -- We have 10+ new cards coming in a patch this week
    -- There have been some tweaks to cards, both numbers and some game text, for the patch this week
    -- We'll open up the new Customer Service portal for everyone this week

Internally, we are focusing on getting more cards in the game and quality of life improvements for those of you in the Alpha. Making sure you have a good experience as you use the UI. Set 3 has kickoff meetings this week, yea... Set 3! And you are going to love the new end of game animation when its done.

15,000 Alpha invites are in the process of being sent out. Check your in boxes!

http://hextcg.com/all-in/

All Slacker Backers are getting the invite! Welcome!!!

Now that all invites are going out, if someone donates a slacker backer after today, will they get an immediate invite?
    that is correct!
    tell your friends!

11/19 - 5:45

Most of the Alpha invites have been sent out at this point, but there are still about 5,000 more invites to get out. We'll work on getting these out to those players as quickly as possible, but it will likely be tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. The Engineers have been working hard identifying weak spots in our log in and load balancing services. Thanks to everyone for helping us load up the servers.

You will likely still notice performance issues through the next 48 hours. We'll be responsive in keeping servers up as the load changes.

On a different note. We had the big "Set 3" kick-off meeting today and Lead TCG Designer Ben Stoll was quoted as saying "I'm really excited about some of the ideas and design directions that Matt Dunn and Phil Cape, who are leading the direction on Set 3, have brought to the table. Players are going to lose their minds over [REDACTED]."

Quote Originally Posted by solly View Post
    I 'm with fen here i m a champion backer witch is bucks away from early bird kings. and im also one of those 5000.
    IF you say your doing the invites tier by tier Stick to your guns and dont change the way you do things for no aparent reason.
    We didn't change the way we were sending invites but we did have a problem with the big batch we sent. This means that a chunk of invites in the middle of that batch did not get to their recipients. We are working on getting all of those invites out today. We understand that this doesn't make the situation any better for you individually and we are doing our best to get it all sorted out.

11/20 - 5:45

The remaining Alpha invites went out today, so please check your junk/trash folder if you don't see your invite. If you didn't get the invite you should have please use our new customer service portal to let us know and we'll help get it figured out for you. You can find that here: http://support.hextcg.com/

The team has been working double-duty today, getting the servers stable with the large influx of new players, and getting a BIG new patch ready for tomorrow. You are going to see some really great stuff in tomorrow's patch - including new cards!

We have scheduled the patch for 10:00am PT tomorrow morning - plan accordingly!

We'll be bring down the game for a patch in 30 min. The expected down time is 1 hour.

Due to the large volume of card changes in patch 815b, some cards or champions in decks could cause the deck to become invalid. This will cause games not to launch properly. While we are looking into this there are some steps you can take to bypass this now:

1. Reattach the champions in your deck
    2. Rebuild your deck
    3. Repair Install

Again, we are investigating the issue and hope to have a broad solution.

Additionally, Frost Wizard appears halt games when you have them in a deck. Removing them from your deck will help you play games.

We are continuing to look at the issues. Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by Kami; 11-25-2013 at 06:09 AM.

More words!

HEX: Shards of Fate Patch 815b - 11/21/13 10:00am PT

NEW KNOWN ISSUES
    * At minimum resolutions Shards of Fate is difficult to use. The UI portion is obscured.
    * Prime Blood Orb of Brutality is not functioning.

GENERAL
    * Fixed the coin flip so that you have a chance to win in all situations.
    * Cards in the graveyard are now viewable.

CHAT
    * Using the up arrow key will cycle through your last 20 chat entries you submitted.
    * Added slash commands for social features: /friend, /ignore, /unignore.
    * You can now chat on the Home page.

CARDS
    * Created card's triggered and continuous fixes now work correctly. One example of this is Uzume, Grand Concubunny.
    * Cards will now reflect the correct resource cost regardless of zone.
    * Ancient Sentinel – Has been removed from the game to make room for Spearcliff Cloud Knight
    * Ash Harpy now reads: Flight, Speed, Rage 4
    * Battle Beetle now reads: [SOCKETABLE MAJOR]. (2) -> This troop gets Flight this turn.
    * Blood Aura now reads: Target troop gets permanent +1[ATK]/+1[DEF] and Lifedrain.
    * Blood Crazed Zealot now has no game text
    * Blood Savant now reads: [B][B][B]: [BASIC] (1) -> This troop gets +1[ATK]/+1[DEF] this turn.
    * Boltpaw Wizard now reads: (1), Sacrifice a troop -> Revert target troop. (1), Sacrifice a troop-> Target champion buries the top card of their deck.
    * Bottled Vitae now reads: [BASIC] (2), Sacrifice this artifact-> Gain 1 health, gain a charge, and draw a card.
    * Carrion Ooze name changed to Carrion Blob
    * Chronic Madness now reads: Target champion buries the top 4 cards of their deck. Escalation - Shuffle this action into your deck, then permanently add 4 to the bold number in the text of each Chronic Madness you own in all zones.
    * Crash of Beasts now reads: Create 1 Rhinoceros and put it into play. Escalation - Shuffle this action into your deck, then permanently add 1 to the bold number in the text of each Crash of Beasts you own in all zones.
    * Demented Demolisher now reads: (3) Sacrifice this troop-> Void all resources from your deck.
    * Elite Battle Tech now reads: When this troop enters play, create two Worker Bots and put them into play. Sacrifice two Robots you control-> Put target troop into its controller's hand.
    * Eternal Guardian will now correctly prevent damage to your other troops.
    * Eternal Youth now reads: Gain 4 health. Escalation - Shuffle this action into your deck, then permanently add 4 to the bold number in the text of each Eternal Youth you own in all zones.
    * Frost Wizard now reads: If a card would enter an opposing deck or graveyard, void it instead.
    * Gas Troll now reads: Crush. When you play a ruby card, this troop gets permanent +1[ATK]/+1[DEF].
    * Goblin Cooking Pot now reads: *[BASIC] (2), Sacrifice this artifact -> Deal 1 damage to each opposing champion. They each lose a charge and choose and discard a card.
    * Hex Engine now reads: [ACT]-> Gain [2/0].
    * Life Siphon now reads: Deal X damage to target opposing champion. Gain 1 health for each damage dealt this way.
    * Mancubus now reads: [ONE-SHOT] [BASIC] (2)-> Gain control of target opposing troop with [ATK] less than or equal to this troop's [ATK].
    * Mystic Spiritwalker now reads: When this troop attacks, choose target troop you control. The next time that troop would be dealt damage this game, prevent it.
    * Necrotic Merchant name changed to Windbourne Acolyte. Now reads: Flight
    * Nelebrin Scout name changed to Nelebrin Skirmisher.
    * Nuts and Bolts name changed to Stoneclaw Gargoyle. Now is a troop and reads: Flight. When this troop enters play, draw a card, then choose and discard a card.
    * Phoenix Guard Aeronaut now reads: Flight. SOCKETABLE MINOR
    * Protectorate Defender now reads: SOCKETABLE MAJOR. When this troop is destroyed, shuffle it back into your deck.
    * Protectorate Sorcerer now reads: When this troop attacks, exhaust target opposing troop.
    * Pterobot now reads: Flight. You pay (1) less to play this troop for each Robot and/or Dwarf you control.
    * Ragefire now reads: Deal 2 damage to target champion or troop. Escalation - Shuffle this action into your deck, then permanently add 2 to the bold number in the text of each Ragefire you own in all zones.
    * Repel now reads: Destroy target attacking troop.
    * Shin’hare High Born now reads: When this troop dies, create two Battle Hoppers and put them into play.
    * Sorrow now reads: Troops get -1[ATK]/-1[DEF] this turn.
    * Spearcliff Cloud Knight – Has been added to the game in place of Ancient Sentinel. Spearcliff Cloud Knight has the old Phoenix Guard Aeronaut game text of Flight, Lifedrain, Steadfast.
    * Spearcliff Pegasus now reads: Flight. When this troop enters play, gain 2 health.
    * Stargazer now reads: [D]: (1), [ACT]-> Gain 2 health. [S]: (1), [ACT] -> Draw a card, then choose and discard a card.
    * Uzume, Grand Concubunny now reads: At the start of your turn, create a random non-unique shin'hare and put it into play.
    * Verdant Wyldeboar now reads: Speed. At end of turn, shuffle this troop into your deck. If you do, it gets permanent +4[ATK]/+4[DEF], then permanently loses this power.
    * Vine Trap now has no game text
    * Wall of Corpses now reads: Defensive. This troop gets +[DEF] equal to the combined [DEF] of troops in your graveyard.

NEW CARDS!
    * Shards of Fate
    * Runic Monolith
    * Persecute
    * Spearcliff Cloud Knight
    * Stoneskin
    * Judgement
    * Relentless Corruption
    * Eldritch Shield
    * Stoneclaw Gargoyle
    * Windbourne Acolyte
    * Ozawa, Cosmic Elder
    * Daring Swordsman
    * Scrap Welder
    * Howling Ambush
    * Soul Marble
    * Curse of Oblivion
    * Countermagic
    * Mastery of Time
    * Comet Strike
    * Menacing Gralk
    * Cosmic Transmogrifier

CHAMPIONS
    * One Eye Open now reads: [D]: [BASIC], [3] -> Ready each troop you control.
    * Running Deer now reads: [W]: [BASIC], [4] -> Gain 5 health.
    * Bun’jitsu now reads: [B][B]: [BASIC], [5], Exhaust two troops you control -> Those troops transform into an Abomination with [ATK] equal to 3 plus their combined [ATK] and [DEF] equal to 3 plus their combined [DEF].
    * Zared Venomscorn now reads: [B]: [BASIC], [4] -> Target troop gets permanent -1[ATK]/-1[DEF].
    * Lionel Flynn now reads: [R]: [BASIC], [5] -> Target troop gets permanent +3[ATK]/+0[DEF].
    * Feather Drifting Downriver now reads: [S]: [BASIC], [4] -> Target troop gets permanent Flight.
    * Wyatt the Sapper now reads: [S][S]: [BASIC], [5] -> Draw a card.
    * Nin the Shadow now reads: [S]: [BASIC], [2] -> Target champion buries the top three cards of their deck.

GEMS
    * (Do not use): Prime Blood Orb of Brutality now reads: [B]: When this troop enters play, target opposing champion reveals a number of cards from their hand equal to this troop's [ATK]. You choose one of them, and they discard that card.
    * Prime Ruby of Intensity now reads: [R][R]: When this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, each champion discards their hand and draws three cards.
    * Prime Blood Orb of Cruelty now reads: [B][B]: When this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, you may put target troop from your graveyard into your hand.
    * Sapphire of Mischief now reads: [S][S]: You may play this troop at any time you could play a quick action.
    * Sapphire of Sky now reads: [S]: Flight
    * Diamond of Duty now reads: [D]: Swiftstrike
    * Wild Orb of Primordium now reads: [W]: +1[ATK]/+1[DEF]

One of the purposes of this last major wave of invites was to put a massive amount of stress on the servers. Right now we have the minimum number of servers deployed to handle to expected load in an effort to identify areas where we can optimize the server infrastructure and code. If we throw servers at problems early on, we never identify load areas and never get a chance to optimize. I know it sucks not being able to get in the game after having patiently waited for the invite for so long, but it's an absolutely necessary part of the process. Every time the servers break due to load we find new issues and fix them. Every new issue fixed this way then reveals new areas that need fixes or optimization. We appreciate your patience through this process. Please continue to hammer on the game, and we will continue to fix problems as they arise.

Thanks

Server Maintenance for Patch 815b is being extended until 12:00pm PT.

Thanks for your patience.

We are extending our server maintenance until 2:00pm PT while we test this very large patch. Thanks.
    Last edited by Kami; 11-21-2013 at 04:00 PM.