Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital subtleties - Why this isn't MTG

Quote Originally Posted by Selix View Post
    While this is true just image trying to keep track of a magic game where half the cards in each players deck could have a different set of socketable gems in them. Also with cards like pack raptor you could track them with physical tokens in MTG but how would you "draw" the token without the other player now knowing exactly what you drew because tokens are easily identifiable?

Also imagine the tediousness of keeping track of effects which affect cards permanently.
    1. Socketable cards could be handled just like dual-face cards (using checklists instead, where you list the card and the socket you've chosen).
    2. Same with Pack Raptor (which I actually mentioned - but to clarify further, a checklist card from Innistrad block had a checklist on the front (where the 'token' image would be), and a normal, Deck Master back, so in a clear sleeve you still couldn't tell it apart from a normal Magic card).
    3. Would depend on the effect, but if they wanted to keep permanent changes they could do it by creating an emblem when a card gets changed to reflect this.

Of course, Hex can do these easily while with Magic they'd require a fair bit of work - I'm just highlighting that for many of the differences we've seen thus far (like Pack Raptor) they're not actually that difficult. Actually, one of the more difficult cards to work with would be Sabotage, as it seems extremely impractical to ask each player who uses sleeves to bring 16 extra sleeves just in case their opponent uses Sabotage (and Sabotage players would also have to bring 16 Booby Trap cards).

I'm just saying that I like that the games are similar enough that many of the mechanics are akin to Magic, and even the trickier ones like this are similar enough to Magic that they could be replicated. Having things in common with a great game like MTG isn't a bad thing in my book. ^^

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxsonbatemanhex View Post
    Actually, one of the more difficult cards to work with would be Sabotage, as it seems extremely impractical to ask each player who uses sleeves to bring 16 extra sleeves just in case their opponent uses Sabotage (and Sabotage players would also have to bring 16 Booby Trap cards).
    Tragically, Star Wars CCG did just this, but we managed to get along. The cards were called Inserts, and wow did players hate them (but because of the mechanics of that game, they were much more powerful there than they will be in Hex).

I think a great example of a card that wouldn't work in Magic would be Shrine of Prosperity, with its equipment. Every turn, it modifies the card underneath itself, while in your deck? To work that irl, you'd have to flip through your deck to see what it was on top of, but then you'd either need to reshuffle or have loads of information that the card was not meant to grant.
    Pro Player Kickstarter; CCG veteran of Magic, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek 2E, Vs. System, and World of Warcraft

1. Socketable cards could be handled just like dual-face cards (using checklists instead, where you list the card and the socket you've chosen).
    2. Same with Pack Raptor (which I actually mentioned - but to clarify further, a checklist card from Innistrad block had a checklist on the front (where the 'token' image would be), and a normal, Deck Master back, so in a clear sleeve you still couldn't tell it apart from a normal Magic card).
    3. Would depend on the effect, but if they wanted to keep permanent changes they could do it by creating an emblem when a card gets changed to reflect this.

Of course, Hex can do these easily while with Magic they'd require a fair bit of work - I'm just highlighting that for many of the differences we've seen thus far (like Pack Raptor) they're not actually that difficult. Actually, one of the more difficult cards to work with would be Sabotage, as it seems extremely impractical to ask each player who uses sleeves to bring 16 extra sleeves just in case their opponent uses Sabotage (and Sabotage players would also have to bring 16 Booby Trap cards).

I'm just saying that I like that the games are similar enough that many of the mechanics are akin to Magic, and even the trickier ones like this are similar enough to Magic that they could be replicated. Having things in common with a great game like MTG isn't a bad thing in my book. ^^
    Don't forget cards that can add, or turn into any card in the game (not just one you own or in your deck) like Orson's dream. Or cards that have a % chance of causing things to happen. Like the Tetonic Break. (Or whatever it is called) where every creature in both decks has an X% chance to live. With X = 10 * defense.
    Hex is a MMO-TCG
    *** There is 3 very important letters in this game's genre.
    Hex - Collector Tier Kickstarter Backer
    In-Game name: Ashmander

3. Would depend on the effect, but if they wanted to keep permanent changes they could do it by creating an emblem when a card gets changed to reflect this.it

Good points and I agree with you.I also don't see the similarities with magic as a bad thing.
    Grand King + Squire + Captain
    Copy box (Basically Dropbox but 20 free GB's.)
    https://copy.com?r=DKqpjQ

It's also a good idea for them to "take it slow" with new mechanics as TCGs frequently try to add a new mechanic or two with each new set.

Giving away all the fancy mechanics they can think of off the bat leaves them less design space to expand into over the life of the game.

A minor correction on the socketable issue: as far as I know, you can socket copies of the same card differently (you probably don't WANT TO, but you can) - you couldn't do that with a checklist (as then you wouldn't be able to tell what particularly-socketed card you'd drawn).

Here's one that you can't do in Magic...
    http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Zombie_Plague

Take note, it doesn't change the order of the deck and you have no idea where the card is positioned.

You can possibly do a weaker version, that involves shuffling and revealing all cards from the get go...
    The Gamepedia Hex Wiki is always looking for more editors.
    Just go to any page you want to edit and press edit! If it's missing then you can add it.
    Check the Help Section to get started!
    (Optionally, you can make an account, but that's not even required!)