Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital subtleties - Why this isn't MTG

Digital subtleties - Why this isn't MTG

After seeing the preview of Gearsmith over at HexTCGPro.com, it occurred to me that the feel of Hex is going to be quite different than that of Magic. Cards like Gearsmith and Shrine of Prosperity allow you to look at cards on the top of your deck and fundamentally change them. In Magic, this can happen but it forces you to expose the card to your opponent so that they can be sure there's no shenanigans going on.

With Hex, we have a neutral judge watching our every move and making sure we're not doing anything shady. This allows us to modify/draw/manipulate these cards without having to expose them to our opponent. They know that we played a Gearsmith, we looked at 3 cards and put one in our hand but they have no idea what kind of artifact it is. Similarly with the Shrine, they know we're getting a benefit every turn, but until we play it, they won't know what we've drawn and what effect it will have.

Having played Magic for years, I've always been disappointed that this kind of information hiding wasn't possible due to the nature of the game. Add this to the list of reasons I'm quite excited about Hex. Anyone else intrigued about this facet of Hex vs. what we've been accustomed to up to this point?

Yes and no.

I'm very interested to se what Hex does with these sort of opportunities, but there is something to be said for the version that hides less information.

Ultimately hiding/vs revealing information is a balance you can't hide everything or the game won't be very fun (imagine having to decide whether to attack or not when you can't see how many troops you opponent has). At the same time making everything visible will take out the surprise of gameplay (imagine if your hand and library were open to examination be default).

They could make tutors and such that don't reveal the card you tutored for, but those would be substantially more powerful than one that do reveal the chosen card, and need to be balanced accordingly (perhaps both sorts can exist at different costs or centered in different shards?)

While Hex has a few things that it can do differently and more easily than Magic, most of the mechanics revealed thus far are potentially doable within Magic. Even something like Pack Raptor which makes cards, could be done via token Pack Raptors (which would have a normal back like a checklist card, and get shuffled in whenever you play a Pack Raptor).

While there'll be differences - the PvE campaign being a huge one, and a major selling point for me - one of the reasons I was eager to get on board with Hex is because it's so similar to Magic. ^^

The thing is, there is just so much design space available to them. It seems like so far they are sticking to Magic "standards", but that does not mean they have to or will stick to those "standards" in the future. And I think that is all a good thing.

P.S. Champions with race and class also leave enormous design space that they seem to be leaving alone for now

Oh man, thanks for sharing the link. I love you Gearsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by tehhuntre View Post
    The thing is, there is just so much design space available to them. It seems like so far they are sticking to Magic "standards", but that does not mean they have to or will stick to those "standards" in the future. And I think that is all a good thing.

P.S. Champions with race and class also leave enormous design space that they seem to be leaving alone for now
    They are keeping the first set simple and easy to learn. Patience is key. They will go bonkers later, and probably more so with PvE.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Master Theorycrafter
    I expect PVE to almost be a testing ground for new mechanics before adding to PVP.
    They can see what people do with the mechanics "in the wild". Allowing them to decide if to release that mechanic in the same form into PVP.
    Since balance isn't as critical in PVE, that line of thought makes a lot of sense to me. They will internal test it of course, and then spring into PVE, and see what happens.
    Keep in mind, my comment is my opinion, not anything official.
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Patron-Officer
    keldrin@unnamed-council.com

Master Theorycrafter
    The card revealed from Hex Vault Crimson Clarity makes a turn 2 Rampaging Tarasque possible. Really unlikely but possible.
    HexHunterMokog:

My Latest Video: DeckTech: Elemental Storms!
    @ YouTube @ Facebook @ Twitter @ Twitch.tv

Learn from Failure. Be Humble in Success.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see where you are going with that.
    Last edited by Maphalux; 10-01-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsonbatemanhex View Post
    While Hex has a few things that it can do differently and more easily than Magic, most of the mechanics revealed thus far are potentially doable within Magic. Even something like Pack Raptor which makes cards, could be done via token Pack Raptors (which would have a normal back like a checklist card, and get shuffled in whenever you play a Pack Raptor).

While there'll be differences - the PvE campaign being a huge one, and a major selling point for me - one of the reasons I was eager to get on board with Hex is because it's so similar to Magic. ^^
    While this is true just image trying to keep track of a magic game where half the cards in each players deck could have a different set of socketable gems in them. Also with cards like pack raptor you could track them with physical tokens in MTG but how would you "draw" the token without the other player now knowing exactly what you drew because tokens are easily identifiable?

Also imagine the tediousness of keeping track of effects which affect cards permanently.
    Last edited by Selix; 10-01-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    Grand King + Squire + Captain
    Copy box (Basically Dropbox but 20 free GB's.)
    https://copy.com?r=DKqpjQ