Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That moment you realise...

Infernal Professor

That moment you realise...

That you should have placed authentication before the download in the installer...

....I don't get it, but then again I am a computer dummy lol

=[
    http://i.imgur.com/vpwTfLE.png
    Come visit us at Hex Savvy for articles, strategy and community!

Quote Originally Posted by MMO_Unforgiven View Post
    The link became public, and now thousands of idiots that can't use the alpha are downloading it, so the patcher is really, really, really slow. Probably will take like 10hrs at the current rate.

Quote Originally Posted by MMO_Unforgiven View Post
    The download link for the game client may or may not have gotten released outside of today's target audience, possibly resulting in slower downloads, as a large number of people who cannot use the client are also downloading it.

ahh lol thanks for educating the Jarhead

He's saying that with the download link sent via e-mail, anyone on the Internet can download the game client. But it's under 10MB, and will require your account to be active on the servers before you can log in an do anything. It will also probably be patched so many times between new users that having it in advance of your account being active won't benefit you much.

Edit: better answers above. Apparently there are a lot of people downloading it anyway.
    Last edited by wildcard; 10-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.

GK Backer here.

I started downloading about 8 mins before the kickstarter update went live, and I'm still downloading ;(

I wouldn't say I have a slow connection either. Can peak at 2.2 MB/s on the torrent client, but not FiOS fast.

Not complaining, just throwing my experience into the hat. If I don't get in till tomorrow, it'll all be good. From here on out it should only get better and better ;D

Solution? log all the IP address that accessed the download, then block access to those IP addresses until release.

All they have to do is change the file that's being linked to one that requires authentication. Then all they need to do is force the server to reject all clients which don't have X version of Patcher.

Or even simpler, password lock the download link to require authentication to at least stem the flow.