Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could Extinction be made more unique?

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    Don't feel shame over Shandalar. Best frickin' PC game ever. I replay it at least once a year, sometimes more.
    I love going infinite and actually winning the final battle...it's bee na while since I've played. I should look into picking it up again
    Pro Player

Gigantisaur
    Extinction's problem is that its easily splashed.

I think we cant really compare extinction and wrath of god.

Reason is that mtg has lands that can be creatures and artifacts that can become creatures.
    In mtg its not so powerfull card to wipe the board.
    In hex its now pretty good for stalling to get control running.

But we still have only 1 set , so maybe after year things are different.

We just need artifacts that become creatures, "land destruction " and card draw for wild/ruby.

I like that Hex has somewhat shamelessly, or bravely, depending on your perspective, decided to print some MTG staples in their core set.

It's important to remember that this is the most Core of the Hex Core Sets. With that you have to set a baseline of power for core game effects. IF you add complexity to those baseline power cards (IE adding token "differences"), you risk muddling and weakening the core baseline. You need your wrath, your pryoclasm, giant growth, bear, llanowar elf, counterspell, etc and its encouraging that Hex designers recognize MTG staples are staples for a reason.

I know I brought up cards that the OP mentions as good examples, and I agree, some of the variation is certainly good, but as others have said, the wrath effect is so powerful and important in the grand meta of deck balance, that it's baseline is pretty hard to mess with. It's cost needs to be able to prevent the turn 4 or 5 kill that most good aggro decks can pull off while being able to be played in 2 color decks consistently ==> 4 cost, 2 threshold.
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

Quote Originally Posted by murmeli View Post
    I think we cant really compare extinction and wrath of god.

Reason is that mtg has lands that can be creatures and artifacts that can become creatures.
    In mtg its not so powerfull card to wipe the board.
    In hex its now pretty good for stalling to get control running.

But we still have only 1 set , so maybe after year things are different.

We just need artifacts that become creatures, "land destruction " and card draw for wild/ruby.
    Wrath of God was in mtg's Alpha; manlands were introduced later on (1 year later if i'm not mistaken) at Antiquities. So i bet given time we will have manlands in hex too. Wipe the board is a strong effect but you can play around it once you acquire some gaming experience by not overextending to the board and playing more conservately.
    http://files.enjin.com/89273/Forum%2..._shadowelf.jpg

Questions about hex? Check my FAQ, Want to work as a game designer?CZE's Apprentiship Program

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowelf View Post
    Wrath of God was in mtg's Alpha; manlands were introduced later on (1 year later if i'm not mistaken) at Antiquities. So i bet given time we will have manlands in hex too. Wipe the board is a strong effect but you can play around it once you acquire some gaming experience by not overextending to the board and playing more conservately.
    Alpha was released in August 1993. Antiquities came out in March 1994, so it was about 8 months before the game had Mishra's Factory, the first land/creature. That being said, there were still a couple of (not very good) tricks a player could do to have creatures out immediately after a Wrath of God even in Alpha - Jade Statues, Kormus Bell if they were playing black (Swamps are also 1/1s), or Living Lands if they were playing green (Forests are also 1/1s).

I'm not sure how any of that would have affected the meta at the time, though. The tournament scene was not very well documented back then (as were many things pre-Web 2.0)... things didn't get really huge until around the time of the first Invitational tournament, which was in 1996 with the Judgment set. Anything after that, there are pretty reasonable records available online if you go digging for it.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomnivore View Post
    Extinction's problem is that its easily splashed.
    Hmm, I cannot count how many times I have needed the 2nd color in a game. While 3 colorless and 1 black would indeed be "Easily" splashed, I find it's 2 black good enough for the card. We shall see how easily it plays when the whole set comes out with more control elements.

Also we do not have a "Side Board" system in play yet. That determines the power of a card/deck more than just one game at a time.
    Last edited by Mahes; 11-01-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

2 Kinds of people. I'm in love with the fact they have a lot of similar cards to magic. Makes the transition easier and makes it more of a familiar game to me.

Which I suppose is what they were shooting for in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by knightofeffect View Post

It's important to remember that this is the most Core of the Hex Core Sets. With that you have to set a baseline of power for core game effects. IF you add complexity to those baseline power cards (IE adding token "differences"), you risk muddling and weakening the core baseline. You need your wrath, your pryoclasm, giant growth, bear, llanowar elf, counterspell, etc and its encouraging that Hex designers recognize MTG staples are staples for a reason.

I know I brought up cards that the OP mentions as good examples, and I agree, some of the variation is certainly good, but as others have said, the wrath effect is so powerful and important in the grand meta of deck balance, that it's baseline is pretty hard to mess with. It's cost needs to be able to prevent the turn 4 or 5 kill that most good aggro decks can pull off while being able to be played in 2 color decks consistently ==> 4 cost, 2 threshold.
    I agree with this. The fact of the matter is that with Set 1 when are setting important precedents and need to include some mainstays that are going to be with us for a while (even as new core sets are released). There are some things which are just good choices and they shouldn't be changed just for the sake of differentiating Hex from Magic in arbitrary ways. Hex is already doing that with other mechanics, there is no need to shoehorn in differences where they have the potential to mess with things that we already know work very well.