Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incantation of Fury needs a hug

Master Theorycrafter

Incantation of Fury needs a hug

So I've decided to try out the new ruby incantation since I like ruby and I've seen no one play it

I decided not to make an aggro deck, which wants things that do damage now and not later (and if you hit your opponent 5 times he would be around 5 hp anyways and the incantation will just be a "win more" card).
    So instead I tried a red artifact "pingers" deck - you know, blood pinger champion, mulfanctioning bots, war machinist, cooking pot, volcannon etc...

After a number of games, it became apparent that even though almost every card in it had some way to ping the opponent, I still would get this off by turn 5 at best, by which the opponent would have plenty of creatures that can trade with a 3 toughness speeder.
    Not to mention the deck in general wasn't very competitive as a mainly pingers don't race a green deck/survive a blood control deck.
    Seeing how late incantations activate, especialy as there are very few cheap 1 card pingers which can be used more than once in this set, I think this card needs some love.

Even if a more solid pinger would be introduced in later set, the fact remains the green invocation can probably still be activated faster, has a bigger body and a better ability.

If anyone found a deck that can make good use of the ruby incantation and thinks I'm wrong, I would be happy to hear the details.
    Last edited by BlackRoger; 12-30-2013 at 02:20 PM.

I dunno, it seems more like a way to recover after an extinction than a win condition. It can fill that niche, but I doubt it is going to be worth it. May as well pack rampaging tarrasque or ash harpy.

The wild one is too easy to get going compared to the rest, the blood one is moderately easy, the diamond one is slightly more difficult but can have a huge payoff, and the sapphire and ruby ones are tougher to get out (with the ruby one being the least useful).

So I could support a buff for it, but I recall some kind of pinger with speed being spoiled... Whatever happened to that?
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Master Theorycrafter
    I feel like you are putting the cart before the horse here.

Incantation of Fury is supposed to be the horse that pulls your gradually slowing cart into the finish line, so I feel that looking at it as a "win more" card is flawed. It seals the deal, otherwise you'll be out of cards and out of momentum, and your horse is dead and your cart is like the wagon on the edge of Westfall- never quite getting there after nearly a decade.

Attempting to use the card in a different way is admirable, and I'm Johnny at the core- so as you rush off on your attempt I man-tear into the sunset like a cliche` samurai protagonist. But it sounds like you've built a deck specifically for exploiting a card which eventually spawns a 6/3 speed troop. That isn't the best environment for judging Incantation of Fury's potential, and the deck is having trouble because other people are busy dropping Jaadim's and Soul Marbles.

Blood ruby Control - Gozzog

Its a decent follow-up after extinction. Blood removal can deal with most troops big enough to block. Gozzog can help control when the first one goes active.

Although after playing with it those 4 slots are better spent on any finisher imo.

Quote Originally Posted by HyenaNipples View Post

Incantation of Fury is supposed to be the horse that pulls your gradually slowing cart into the finish line, so I feel that looking at it as a "win more" card is flawed. It seals the deal, otherwise you'll be out of cards and out of momentum, and your horse is dead and your cart is like the wagon on the edge of Westfall- never quite getting there after nearly a decade.

Attempting to use the card in a different way is admirable, and I'm Johnny at the core- so as you rush off on your attempt I man-tear into the sunset like a cliche` samurai protagonist. But it sounds like you've built a deck specifically for exploiting a card which eventually spawns a 6/3 speed troop. That isn't the best environment for judging Incantation of Fury's potential, and the deck is having trouble because other people are busy dropping Jaadim's and Soul Marbles.
    I would agree with you on all point if not for Heat wave and Extinction being reliable stops for most aggro, and there not being much else to do but try to smash away or directly burn. If smashing away fails, the card is a dead draw, and there isn't enough direct draw to make it reliable.

I think it can be good, but right now it is lacking something. It could be that ruby is just missing some key cards. Or it could be that it would actually work better in a flight based deck, so you get in lots of little evasive hits. I don't think it needs a huge buff, but maybe dropping it to a 5/2 and giving it speed and swiftstrike would make it a better investment without throwing off the balance too much? (Epsecially since it can't trigger any inspires.)

Master Theorycrafter

I'm sorry, but if its meant to seal the deal after an extinction, it is badly designed.
    If you put it in an aggro deck, most likely your main damage source is creatures, which means the incantation will transform AFTER the combat phase, and straight into an extinction.
    You would have to calculate very carefully how to leave it at 4 charges AND keep a burn spell in hand to triger it right after the extinction - waay too much situational.
    If its meant to give you that last 6 damage to seal the deal, drop a 1 drop creature on turn one, it would be more likely to do that 6 damage than your incantation, especialy as your opponent can probably predict around when will it transform and keep a kill spell even if he doesn't have a 3 attack creature.

If its meant to be a finisher, it must first transform only at the BEGGINING of your turn, and even then should probably have at least crush in my opinion.

edit: nvm, I like the suggested 5/2 swiftstriker even better.

A. it wasn't the only kill condition, volcannon was a second.
    B. A deck thats meant to get the incantation out as fast as humanly possible isn't a good environment for judging it? what better environment can you get?
    If the deck brings it out any slower you risk not getting any use from it just because its outclassed by the time it comes out, and then you surely won't be able to get good feedback on it

Its possible there are better ways to make use of it, which is part of why I opened this thread, to find other ideas of how it can be even semi-playable
    Last edited by BlackRoger; 12-30-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    I dunno, it seems more like a way to recover after an extinction than a win condition. It can fill that niche, but I doubt it is going to be worth it. May as well pack rampaging tarrasque or ash harpy.

The wild one is too easy to get going compared to the rest, the blood one is moderately easy, the diamond one is slightly more difficult but can have a huge payoff, and the sapphire and ruby ones are tougher to get out (with the ruby one being the least useful).

So I could support a buff for it, but I recall some kind of pinger with speed being spoiled... Whatever happened to that?
    By the way, though the sapphire one is definetaly weaker, I still had some fun with it in my control deck - you can transform it in 2 turns with oracle song + champion card draw ability, and it does what its meant to be if opponent has no removal, be a large annoying flyer.
    If it would be reduced to 3 mana so I can cast it before the extinction I'll probably save it a spot

To be honest, I kinda think it's lacking, too.

I tried it out for fun in my ruby/sapphire soft control/evasion deck that gets a lot of mileage out of simply getting around troops.

However, there are better bombs than a 6/3, so it's not worth packing four of them, and it's too much work to get it out if you don't draw it early.
    Collector Tier - I am out of my mind spending this much on a Kickstarter. You better be good, Hex!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRoger View Post
    I'm sorry, but if its meant to seal the deal after an extinction, it is badly designed.
    If you put it in an aggro deck, most likely your main damage source is creatures, which means the incantation will transform AFTER the combat phase, and straight into an extinction.
    You would have to calculate very carefully how to leave it at 4 charges AND keep a burn spell in hand to triger it right after the extinction - waay too much situational.
    If its meant to give you that last 6 damage to seal the deal, drop a 1 drop creature on turn one, it would be more likely to do that 6 damage than your incantation, especialy as your opponent can probably predict around when will it transform and keep a kill spell even if he doesn't have a 3 attack creature.

If its meant to be a finisher, it must first transform only at the BEGGINING of your turn, and even then should probably have at least crush in my opinion.

edit: nvm, I like the suggested 5/2 swiftstriker even better.

A. it wasn't the only kill condition, volcannon was a second.
    B. A deck thats meant to get the incantation out as fast as humanly possible isn't a good environment for judging it? what better environment can you get?
    If the deck brings it out any slower you risk not getting any use from it just because its outclassed by the time it comes out, and then you surely won't be able to get good feedback on it

Its possible there are better ways to make use of it, which is part of why I opened this thread, to find other ideas of how it can be even semi-playable
    I'd disagree, I used it as a finisher with an extinction. Just save your Gozzog ability for the right moment, clear the field, and if you have two in play as constants that's 12 damage on top of the 1 you just did with Gozzog.

Having tried it in my sapphire ruby fliers deck to try things out, it does seem to be, in most cases, a win more card than any kind of game changer. I will continue testing it later, but so far the only times it transformed, I was already well within kill range - one exception being when I played it on turn 2, which did do some good, but I think a simple burn would have helped me more in that same fight.

So it could use a little bit of a tweak. Although it would thrive in a situation with pingers. We need an artifact with [3] [/Exhaust]: Deal 1 damage to target champion or troop.