Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homebrew DBG

RE: Superhero Abilities vs. Unique Starters

I think you will have to look at your game's theme and figure out which would work best for it. For instance, with DC, it makes sense that the character cards will have inherent abilities as they are (for the most part) super-powered beings. With LOTR this makes less sense, as Tolkien's characters (with the exception of Gandalf) do not really have any inherent abilities (I am excluding Legolas since elves in the films are pretty nerfed compared to elves in the books). In LOTR's case, it makes more sense to have each character instead start with an item unique to them.

I think the either/or is a better set-up than having both, but if you think your game's theme really calls for both unique starter cards and character abilities, then I'd say go for it. Just as long as you can balance it out.

As for locations, I don't think they're too powerful. I like that they are only 5 cost as this gives other players, who maybe haven't been lucky with draws/purchases that game, the opportunity to screw over a player that's ahead of them by buying the location out from under the other player, even if it would not be strictly beneficial for their deck's setup. Like Batman buying Arkham to keep it away from a Wonder Woman that's been getting tons of villains, even if Batman has no villains in his deck.

I do think they should remain as draw abilities rather than power, as the draw is still a chance to screw you over, whereas the power does not have this gamble. But like I said before, it's your game and if you can make it work I don't see why you shouldn't experiment.

Yeah, I think you're right about the character abilities. It's not crucial that I have both in place for the game I'm trying to make, and it's a little difficult to balance both at once. Also, having those unique cards instead of Superhero abilties makes a lot of sense for the IP I'm cribbing. I'm going to try and skew it so that the unique cards are about as good as a 4-cost DC DBG card, but with no Attacks or destroying effects.

And while I agree that having locations sticking to draw powers is probably the best idea, I would dispute the claim that they aren't too powerful. They're the *only* persistent cards in the entire game. A second persistent ability is almost like having a second superhero ability, and for 5 cost it's almost too good. And the argument that an unlucky player can use it for an advantage is silly - you could say that about any useful card.

Locations are not the only persistent cards in the game. Heroes Unite adds Vandal Savage, who is a constant 1 power. I say that its price gives an advantage to unlucky players because you *can't* say that about the other really great cards, since all of them give you a benefit regardless of your deck set-up (either through power, free cards, or draws). The locations rely entirely on your deck to benefit you, so it's not the same as any other card.

Had another idea for a property that would be perfect for the Cerberus engine: Dragon Ball Z. Have the big Z fighters as the Superhero cards, various Capsule Corp tech for Equipment, ridiculous number of heroes and villains to draw from, and plenty of Ki abilities for Superpowers. Locations could be things like Kami's Lookout, King Kai's Planet, Namek, etc.

Supervillains would be easy. Have Raditz or Nappa on top, then you could have Frieza, Cell, Buu, Broly, Cooler, etc. Maybe have the Ginyu Force be the Suicide Squads/Power Rings of the game.

I'd love to see this as an official DBG from Cryptozoic. Doesn't seem too far removed from their current direction with Naruto and Street Fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
    Had another idea for a property that would be perfect for the Cerberus engine: Dragon Ball Z. Have the big Z fighters as the Superhero cards, various Capsule Corp tech for Equipment, ridiculous number of heroes and villains to draw from, and plenty of Ki abilities for Superpowers. Locations could be things like Kami's Lookout, King Kai's Planet, Namek, etc.

Supervillains would be easy. Have Raditz or Nappa on top, then you could have Frieza, Cell, Buu, Broly, Cooler, etc. Maybe have the Ginyu Force be the Suicide Squads/Power Rings of the game.

I'd love to see this as an official DBG from Cryptozoic. Doesn't seem too far removed from their current direction with Naruto and Street Fighter.
    I would love to see DBZ DBG. I would preorder that so fast haha. Hoping for best.

DBZ DBG is an instant order for me! hahah

I'm working out some ideas for a homebrew that seems pretty good (incorporates some of the mechanics from the LOTR DBG also). I'll post it here once I finish. Just need to figure out exactly which characters to use for the players. I've got the staples: Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Future Trunks, and Krillin. Leaning towards Tien and Goten for the last two, but I'm not quite sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
    I'm working out some ideas for a homebrew that seems pretty good (incorporates some of the mechanics from the LOTR DBG also). I'll post it here once I finish. Just need to figure out exactly which characters to use for the players. I've got the staples: Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Future Trunks, and Krillin. Leaning towards Tien and Goten for the last two, but I'm not quite sure.
    Those are good characters. I would use adult Gohan I like him. But for last two I think Tien is cool, and I would say Yamcha. Even though they not best, I liked them and they were part of main crew for while.

I think I've figured out how to do Locations in the game I'm working on - make them slightly more expensive and valuable (probably 6 cost, 3 victory points), but producing global effects. The global effects can change the game in a significant way, but they'd be a significant boon in VP for the player that buys it.

Also, since the Superheroes in this game won't have passive abilities (all of them will start with a unique Hero or Superpower card), those locations will act almost like a shared Superhero ability for all players to use. Might make things interesting.

Personally, I think 3 VP is too much for a cost 6 card. Currently the only two cards worth 3 VP are Man of Steel and World's Mightiest Mortal, both with a cost of 8. I still think Locations should only affect the player who controls them, but that's up to you. I think if you want to add a global mechanic, you could just add a new mechanic (like the Wall mechanic in the Two Towers DBG) instead of sacrificing one of the better mechanics in the game.