Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: AH discussion

You don't sell extremely rare things like that as a commodity with a set price... You sell it in an auction, where people bid. That's how rare and valuable things get a price in the real world.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post
    You would have to troll the AH every day anyway in point 1 to make sure no one has put in 1000 bids 1 cent above yours.
    So we need Outbid Notices. (Which TAH would probably want to have anyway. They're a necessary evil, but with BAS at least you would only need them some small amount of the time, whereas normal auctions would be issuing Outbid Notices frequently.) Now you only have to go back if your Bid is actually in danger.

point 2 is honestly irrelevant imo. When you want to sell instantly put it on the AH a bit cheaper than others, and make a post about it in trade chat.
    This is less efficient for your time as a seller. BAS lets you check prices then double-click-sell and you're done. What you posted here is several extra steps: check prices (same), type in a price, click to list, go to trade chat, type your advertisement, then sit and wait, possibly copy/pasting your ad a few more times when no one buys it right away.

Irrelevant? I think not.

As I stated before, absolute efficiency is a detriment to market. Too much liquidity is bad for a both consumers, and users, and the market as a whole.
    ----

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by RobHaven View Post
    In fairness, there's important info you can't see.
    - How many times have these Buy It Now listings been posted?
    - How long have they been sitting without a buyer?
    - Does "or best offer" really count as a Buy It Now? It seems like it's somewhere between that and an auction.
    You're right, of course. We're working from rather poor market data for knowing how ultra-rare stuff is actually handled. Still, some data (what I gathered) is better than none. Also, check out my response to Gwaer below about Grand Auctions and let me know what you think.

I am unfamiliar with this "Book" that you speak of. It's entirely possible that it was detailed in full in the previously discussed Old Thread. It's also possible that you detailed it in this thread, but honestly there were a lot of words in a lot of posts and I think I blacked out somewhere along the way.
    The "Book" is where all the listings for a given commodity are kept, sorted by price. Traditionally listings of same price would be grouped together, but for Hex we've said that we cannot do that due to double-back variations. So the Hex Book for each card would have an itemized listing of every existing Bid and Ask, with indications of all relevant double-back data in addition to basic pricing. Generally, Bids will clump up below the Asks, but with the double-back it will be possible to have a specialized Bid listed above a generic Ask since the generic item cannot satisfy the Bidders desire.

As I stated before, absolute efficiency is a detriment to market. Too much liquidity is bad for a both consumers, and users, and the market as a whole.
    This seems totally nonsensical to me. I've read papers whose whole point and goal is to find ways to INCREASE market liquidity and efficiency. So it seems odd to hear you advocating the opposite. Care to explain?

You don't sell extremely rare things like that as a commodity with a set price... You sell it in an auction, where people bid. That's how rare and valuable things get a price in the real world.
    And you make a point of advertising to the rich people in advance so that you have plenty of bidders. Along those lines, I have an idea for Hex. Maybe once per quarter, CZE hosts a Grand Auction where all the coolest, rarest stuff is auctioned live! Now you know you have the bidders you need!

(Gwaer, I love you man. You help me find such fun ideas.)
    Last edited by Yoss; 02-03-2014 at 06:29 PM.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlschool View Post
    eBay shouldn't be the AH you're using to compare HexBAS with. Look up Auctioneer, Auctionator, Trade Skill Master, and The Undermine Journal for how modders and a third-party website made the WoW AH incredibly robust and functional. That's the kind of TAH we'd want for Hex, not something like eBay.
    http://auctioneeraddon.com/?p=screen

That's anything but simple. And you all are saying HexBAS would be too complicated? LOL!

If people can handle (and indeed desire) something as complicated as Auctioneer, then they should love HexBAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    http://auctioneeraddon.com/?p=screen

That's anything but simple. And you all are saying HexBAS would be too complicated? LOL!

If people can handle (and indeed desire) something as complicated as Auctioneer, then they should love HexBAS.
    My point isn't about complexity, it's that a TAH can have the kind of robust functionality you seem to think is only available to BAS.

You really think Auctioneer is that complicated? Sure there's lots of numbers and the UI isn't pretty, but it's really just your standard AH with price guides and more efficient buy/sell.
    Keep name is Essq

The Transcended
    My point was not that Auctioneer is too much complexity for me personally. My point is that the HexBAS UI I proposed a few pages back would be simpler than the WoW AH, while having superior function; that one can have both power and simplicity by designing it right; and that if average folks can understand and use Auctioneer then they can definitely handle not just the simple BAS proposed, but a fully analytical one as well.

Perhaps it wasn't you, but several people in this thread have been saying that a BAS is too complicated for the average person. Thus, I have been working these last several pages to show that it is not, in fact, any more complicated than a TAH. Both can be simple, both can be complicated, but BAS has superior function.

On the whole mixed lots idea, I'm not against them, but I think we can all at least agree that discoverability for something like that would be unicornpooping terrible, and the devs shouldn't waste precious time trying to get them in from the start. Maybe we can have them later, when time allows, but I really don't see how you could search for them (and you wouldn't want to browse through all 10,000 players' currently listed mixed lots, either).

For now, we need to focus on single card transactions, in whatever form. Though being mindful of future possible design space in our conversations, of course. Everything should be built to be scalable, but we absolutely should not be trying to make mixed lots fit into our current design discussions, because realistically, we're NOT going to get them at beta / launch (and shouldn't want them yet, frankly).
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Also I love the idea of CZE hosted live auctions. That is a killer idea, that will help them promote and highlight the double back stats in grand fashion. Someone email this thread to Shaggy to make sure the idea gets company eyeballs on it!

unicornpooping BRILLIANT.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

A yearly auction hosted by CZE perhaps during hexcon would certainly be something. But it is not a substitute for the ability to have auctions as part of the functionality of the AH.
    ----