Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Estimates time: your take on the upcoming features

Estimates time: your take on the upcoming features

As we all know, Beta is creeping closer, and everyone is getting more excited. So I thought a down to earth estimates thread would be an interesting endeavour.

What not to mention: Open Beta and PvE. This is simply a discussion about what is expected to arrive, and when, before we move into closed beta.

Stuff we know, and stuff we assume: all valid topics, but don't try to pass assumptions off as fact. An example woukd be my own assumption of guilds coming before CBT, but while my reasons are good, it isn't factual and hasnt been confirmed. Will update with any links to confirmed info as people post it.

To keep the OP nice and clear, I will only update with confirmed links.

http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/po...-post-number-2
    Last edited by Xenavire; 03-05-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

I'm confused about what is meant to go in this thread?

He's looking for people to speculate on exactly what features are going to be in when CZE starts calling it "beta," and what timeframes we expect that "beta" to have.

Personally, I don't think we're going to see Beta before April, and more than likely not until early June.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Now onto my own estimates, and my reasoning behind them.

Within the next month: draft, new cards, bugfixes.

Within two months: the remainder of the cards to make it live, slacker backer to stop, economy structure being put into place.

Within three months: final cars bugfixes, pack opening, AH, guild creation, and the all important server swap.

By late june, I expect CBT to be underway, and I don't feel thar it an unrealistic goal.

Now, down to my reasonings for this: we have about 30-35 unreleased cards that we know of that have to make it live. At 5 a week (which is pretty standard for CZE so far) we would be 6-7 weeks away from all the cards being live. We would also require close to a month of bugfixing to iron out the most unreasonable bugs.

The guilds I think have to be before CBT. Simply because it was promised for guilds from backers to have naming priority.

And Oss has it right. I was delayed in making my post, so thanks Oss for stepping in.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    Now onto my own estimates, and my reasoning behind them.

Within the next month: draft, new cards, bugfixes.

Within two months: the remainder of the cards to make it live, slacker backer to stop, economy structure being put into place.

Within three months: final cars bugfixes, pack opening, AH, guild creation, and the all important server swap.

By late june, I expect CBT to be underway, and I don't feel thar it an unrealistic goal.

Now, down to my reasonings for this: we have about 30-35 unreleased cards that we know of that have to make it live. At 5 a week (which is pretty standard for CZE so far) we would be 6-7 weeks away from all the cards being live. We would also require close to a month of bugfixing to iron out the most unreasonable bugs.

The guilds I think have to be before CBT. Simply because it was promised for guilds from backers to have naming priority.

And Oss has it right. I was delayed in making my post, so thanks Oss for stepping in.
    Very reasonable estimates (although I wish it were quicker ;-P). 7 weeks for the cards alone I think is a certainty, unless they pull a surprise patch and throw in the rest, which is highly unlikely given progress so far. I think the question with drafts is whether tourneys need to be 100% rock solid before they're implemented or will they go live once we're reasonably stable with sealed and constructed tourneys.

I'm of the opinion to throw them in there once the UI and infrastructure is there to get as much testing as possible, since sealed has been a shit show for all intents and purposes (I guess you could argue that more dev time for sealed would have killed the bugs we've seen, but I doubt it).

Then I guess its a question of do they continue to bugfix and make features 100% solid or do you continue to cram stuff in and just iterate as we go. I'm not a game dev or software engineer so I don't know which one makes sense. From a player and backer perspective, I want stuff fast, but I understand how long this stuff takes especially for a relatively inexperienced group like CZE.

On top of all this, how many bugs are just a result of the toaster that is the current Hex server?

The "toaster" bugs will crop up again once we go to larger servers and hit capacity on them. So it's better to take the time to fix those now. They're still load-based bugs... they're just way easier to reproduce when you run on a system that hits resource capacity at 1K concurrent users than on a system that hits capacity at 50K users.
    --ossuary

Yeah, that is why I think the server swap will come at the last possible moment (late May at the earliest, late June at the latest, based on current progress.) I mean, the last thing we want to see is an early swap, and have everything fall apart mid-beta, when we are playing for keeps. (And playing with our Keeps!)

That said, most of the server bugs have been singled out, and nearly as many seemingly killed. With some dilligence and hard work, and maybe a call to arms or two, we should be in the clear by the end of May, server wise.

When I am on my PC, I plan to link Cory's blig for the main source on upcoming features, since thise are more or less confirmed.

The feature I'm worried about the most, in terms of time/bugs/etc., is double back. That seems like an insane feature to get in for beta (and its required, since people will want to start getting achieves and what not with their collection). I mean think of each card and the possible 2-4 achievements and unlocks for each card...that's nuts. On top of having to collect all that info, it has to stick so that when traded and/or sold on the AH (another huge feature, heh) all that shit transfers.

Yeah, it's the heavy tracking of IDs / stats and big swaths of content like the AH that make me think we're still several months out... this is complicated stuff, and is going to need time to test, on top of just getting the game engine fully working properly, which still isn't 100%. We've still got a bit of a wait ahead of us.
    --ossuary

Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    Yeah, it's the heavy tracking of IDs / stats and big swaths of content like the AH that make me think we're still several months out... this is complicated stuff, and is going to need time to test, on top of just getting the game engine fully working properly, which still isn't 100%. We've still got a bit of a wait ahead of us.
    Heh yep my thoughts exactly. In fact, I'm pretty much resigned to waiting for a looong time. No offense to CZE but I'd be thoroughly surprised if we're in closed beta before fall/winter . Unless they come out and say "surprise, we've been working on all this stuff the whole time and it's basically done!"