Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 1 Free Mulligan. No prerequisites

Well, theres something to be said for point blank... Fairly sure that would obliterate the average non-super mosquito.

And now I want a super mosquito card. Curse you brain.

I also want an elephant gun equipment.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattaq View Post
    Also, as I mentioned earlier, the free mulligan is significantly better for certain decks as opposed to others.
    Wouldn't the opposite also be true? That no free mulligan favors certain decks as well?

Quote Originally Posted by darkwonders View Post
    Wouldn't the opposite also be true? That no free mulligan favors certain decks as well?
    No. The set was designed to avoid this problem.

Well just got back from work. Time to respond to peoples in chronological order as best as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post
    @dack Your numbers don't take into account that you are giving people the option to see a second hand with no penalty whatsoever, I've described repeatedly why that's bad, then shaq also pointed it out. A lot of Playable hands become extremely hard to keep when you lose nothing to try and get something a bit better. It's counterintuitive to players, it becomes something the devs want you to do in their mind. "They've given us this free mulligan, of course I should use it" every single new player will have to go through that phase. It's not something someone can easily learn on their own either, unlike the logic chain of "I consistently don't have enough resources>add more resources"
    If CZE actually did player testing an came to see that is what player behavior indeed is and how it develops that is so. I get the -1 card discourages throwing away a decent hand, but still leaves the option for a pitching an unplayable one. However I find that greed is an aspect of HEX that should be okay to punish/reward. Opening hand variance is not. If a player is greedy enough to risk a better 7 card then the -2 CardCount drop is there to punish them. Talking for a player behavior point is subjective so I see why I think one way and you think another. But if CZE actually did the testing then it makes sense.

Opening hand mathwise +/-1 card doesn't have a big impact on a 'good' hand. Gamewise that -1 spell/card deeper can cost you(not too often, but probs more than you think[subjective]).

On the "I'd mull to 5" thing. Cmon man be honest don't just say things to push a point.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRoger View Post
    The problem with the ideas being thrown around atm is that they are too complicated.
    Rules need to be easy to learn as well as being fun.
    Im still all for the 7 6 6 5 mentioned earlier.

Yes it favors combo a little but at least yhey still pay a price for greediness
    I actually used to like ideas like that. But I believe mudkip, correct me if I'm wrong, brought up a partial analyses where he said aggro decks would play less land and combo decks would thrive. Upon taking his analysis a bit further I saw that aggro decks and combo decks are in actuality only benefiting from being able to take 2 mulls with no major repercussions. Think back to all the times you mulled to 5. Do you remember how negative and unsatisfactory that felt.

@Diesbudt:

After a while or maybe even at the start with this meta Players will realize that losing X cards from deck has little-zero impact. I've said this before somewhere else, "whenever you're milled jsut imagine those cards where at the bottom of your deck and move on." Losing cards from a deck is psychological and barely barely has a game impact. It might punish combo decks, but in general it will be the same as 1 free mulligan in a 7-7-paris progression.

In general:

I'd encourage people to convince themselves of the math when they make claims such as "combo will be favored" or "Aggro will be favored". You may be right you may be over-exaggerating or You may be wrong. Certain aspects of mulliganing are subjective, but some are actually based in math. I'd like a system that mimics what we have now (so newcomers from mtg dont complain too much), but improves upon what I see as a the right direction for dealing with opening hand variance.

On a sidenote: That VoidSanity Banning

I worry about the precedent being set in these forums. Yes void had an abrasive way of approaching things, yes he/she was critical of CZE, and yes some-most of his arguments/points weren't well thought out. But I've seen voids post and the threads he's been in, his conduct while not right was aggravated. Void was indeed attacked directly in forums and he was indeed harassed by others. Now this is an assumption: I assume Voids harrasers/defamers where never given a warning or directed to the COC so they would stop. (If I'm wrong let me know).

First and foremost these are forums for opinions. It won't always be feel good, People won't always agree, but at the end of the day EVERYONE deserves a modicum of respect. I don't want to come back to these forums one day and just see a sea of poisonous argument. I encourage people look at Voids decent into what you all call "being a troll" and realize that those who disparaged/defamed/harassed him were just as bad. It was merely opinions that caused the Banhammer to fall on him. In short I disagree with the course of action that was taken, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by DackFayden View Post
    On the "I'd mull to 5" thing. Cmon man be honest don't just say things to push a point...
    Think back to all the times you mulled to 5. Do you remember how negative and unsatisfactory that felt...
    I thought your responses except for these points were pretty good... But I was being absolutely honest, mulling to 5 isn't that big of a deal, it doesn't auto lose you the game in most cases. Some decks take a mull to 5 much harder than others, but those decks generally focus on being much more reliable.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

@Dack - about void, ever since he arrived on the forums, about 60-80% of his posts were inflammatory, often aggressive, and almost always unprovoked. I think the ban is justified off his history, but I am both suprised and slightly guilty that it came now.

Still, his last thread was an attack on CZE, no matter how he worded it. I can't see why you could support him, despite people attacking him.

I am sad his new idea wasn't fully explored though. I was genuinely interested, even though it would have been a terrible system.

I'm kind of surprised anyone is defending void. He was so obviously trolling without even the pretense of being constructive.
    Your sig is probably embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by stiii View Post
    I'm kind of surprised anyone is defending void. He was so obviously trolling without even the pretense of being constructive.
    Still not as bad as Yasi at the peak of his annoyance. But I never got the impression that Void wanted to contribute, he just seemed bored.

Something you might already know or may learn when you get older:

Lets say someone develops a bad reputation. People judge them for it.

Now lets say someone tries to do something productive instead. People remember their bad reputation and assume the same of the person.

Now imagine you're the person with said bad reputation. You feel backed in a corner, against a wall. No matter what you do people are unfair. You cannot get a chance. So what do you do?

Just like any animal when backed against a wall Humans also lash out. Its a terrible loop. A mistake you made got your reputation in that situation, but now no one is willing to let you get out. People are now forcing you in a corner. Thats what I saw void's defamers and harassers doing.

I'm not defending his behavior. I'm just saying be aware of the evils of both sides. We're all dicks

Quote Originally Posted by DackFayden View Post
    Something you might already know or may learn when you get older:

Lets say someone develops a bad reputation. People judge them for it.

Now lets say someone tries to do something productive instead. People remember their bad reputation and assume the same of the person.

Now imagine you're the person with said bad reputation. You feel backed in a corner, against a wall. No matter what you do people are unfair. You cannot get a chance. So what do you do?

Just like any animal when backed against a wall Humans also lash out. Its a terrible loop. A mistake you made got your reputation in that situation, but now no one is willing to let you get out. People are now forcing you in a corner. Thats what I saw void's defamers and harassers doing.

I'm not defending his behavior. I'm just saying be aware of the evils of both sides. We're all dicks
    Hey, I was all set to let him prove he was ready to contribute (his mulligan idea) right before he got banned. I am sure if he had been as productive and willing to pitch in at other times (without being aggressive) I am sure people would have given him the benefit of the doubt.

I am all for second chances, but it seems like he used all his up. Too bad, I feel like he had potential if he wasn't being awful to people.