Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Tournament Overview

Draft Tournament Overview

By Phil Cape

The newest patch for HEX: Shards of Fate has an addition that many of us here at Cryptozoic have been eagerly anticipating: Draft Tournaments.

http://hextcg.com/draft-tournament-overview/

This article is a big help for me. I'm so freaking excited! I'm a relatively inexperienced Hexer, and I think Draft is a great way to learn. If you want to improve your skills, then please read the article and ger Drafting!

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by hextcg.com
    You will have 75 seconds to make your first selection, and the time will be reduced by 5 seconds for each subsequent pick.
    So drafting is 30 minutes max. Three packs, each pack takes 600 seconds (75+70+65+60+55+50+45+40+35+30+25+20+15+10+5).

Deck building 20 minutes max (I assume).

Play 3 hours max (1 hour max per round).

Total time 3 hours 50 minutes max.

Should you fail to select a card before the timer expires, the computer will select one of the available cards randomly.
    I'd much prefer if it randomly picked from the highest available rarity. That way if you lag, crash, get called away to help with kids, or whatever you at least get the benefit of drafting rares and uncommons.

“swiss style” ... you will always play three matches with your deck, earning one booster pack in prizes per match win. Playing more games will help you get a better idea of what works and what doesn’t about your strategy, making it easier for you to refine it and improve in subsequent draft tournaments.
    It also gives you more play time for your money, which may or may not make you happy. (I can't always afford 4 hours, so I might rather have my losses knock me out while getting a fat payout if I make it through all 4 hours.)

Payout for Swiss (if you think of it as a bracket)
    Winner's Bracket:
    1st is 3 packs (WWW)
    2nd is 2 packs (WWL)
    3rd is 2 packs (WLW)
    4th is 1 pack (WLL)

Loser's Bracket:
    5th is 2 packs (LWW)
    6th is 1 pack (LWL)
    7th is 1 pack (LLW)
    8th is 0 packs (LLL)

Total prizes: 12 packs

Draft is the best way to open packs and build your collection while at the same time sharpening your skills.
    Speaks for itself.

Ufff.. I really hope the make "Hasted" tournaments.
    Sitting glued to computer for 1-1,5h is a struggle, not to mention 4 hours Oo

Yes, I hope there is a way to speed the draft tournament, aside from that, great article and very helpful for newbies like me

very well written an good breakdown on how draft works, as well as a noob friendly way on explaining how to play with the B.R.E.A.D breakdown thank you, looking forward to draft!

Maybe have a ready button when you feel you are done with your deck building and if all players are ready then the game begins..
    Alpha Name: Vicksburg (hopefully will get a new name before launch).

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    I'd much prefer if it randomly picked from the highest available rarity. That way if you lag, crash, get called away to help with kids, or whatever you at least get the benefit of drafting rares and uncommons.
    I don't think that's such a good idea as it would encourage rare drafters to afk through drafting, slowing things down for everyone.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by the_artic_one View Post
    I don't think that's such a good idea as it would encourage rare drafters to afk through drafting, slowing things down for everyone.
    I'd say the pro far outweighs that con. Live drafts I've played seem to always use the full timer, so I'm not expecting online to be any different. I'd guess that the AFK won't even be noticed most of the time. In other words, virtually no time will be lost for the other 7 players. Meanwhile, you get the benefit of "life insurance" for players gaming in less-than-ideal circumstances (which was one of the parts of Cory's dream for Hex: catering to the aging gamer who can't make large time commitments like driving down to the local store).

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywolf View Post
    very well written an good breakdown on how draft works, as well as a noob friendly way on explaining how to play with the B.R.E.A.D breakdown thank you, looking forward to draft!
    This video from Jax (is he still around?) is really good. I like his version of A & D better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkgxG27NZ4