Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something that's been bugging me for a while: costs of Eye of Creation and friends

Something that's been bugging me for a while: costs of Eye of Creation and friends

Image is large, couldn't find a small one.

That 3X cost means 3+X, right? Shouldn't that say 3+X so it doesn't confuse people who took middle school algebra and assume it means 3*X?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattaq View Post
    The engineers are always working.
    Quote Originally Posted by wasichu View Post
    counterspelling a counterspell locks up game as well

Resource/mana/whatever costs don't typically have math symbols in them. While it may not be the most user-friendly notation to those who are up on their algebra, it is standard TCG notation. You'll get used to it.

In Magic, the "colorless" costs on a card had a little circle around them, making them easier to distinguish. The "X" cards in Hex do look a little odd due to the lack of this separation. Hopefully they will do something at some point to make the casting cost pop a little bit more, instead of just being plain old numbers (and X).
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

I had a similar thought when I was looking at Eye of Creation as well. I don't know if it needs to be changed, but it certainly does look like multiplication. If someone tells me I have to pay 3X, unless the 3 is in a colorless circle, I'm going to naturally think I have to pay 3 times whatever I want X to be. Currently I am leaning towards 3+X being the better notation, but I'd have to see it mocked up of course.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Master Theorycrafter
    I also want to echo that this made me double take and while I "assumed" it was probably short hand for 3+x, it was not obvious from a glance, which is what you really want to strive for. Can players figure it out as it is now, sure. Should it be at the top of the must fix list? Definitely not. But, is it worth analyzing to see if there isn't a way they could represent these sort of costs better? Absolutely.

I think they are committed to costs being like magic costs now. In case people aren't aware in magic something that costs 3x would be written as XXX. As others have said the existence of the circles makes it much clearer.
    Your sig is probably embarrassing.

I find the cost confusing too. One option would be to change the cost to 3 or "3+" and the card could read "Additional cost X: Reveal top X cards..."

Quote Originally Posted by LNQ View Post
    One option would be to change the cost to 3 or "3+" and the card could read "Additional cost X: Reveal top X cards..."
    You mean like this?

The only problem with the additional cost thing is that it changes how a few mechanics interact with that card. Jadiim, most notably. If we had a counterspell that you had to pay the casting cost they paid to counter it (like Spellblast from MtG), making all of those X cards say "pay X as an additional cost" for the sake of display convenience would be deeply nerfed against a Spellblast card as a result. Wouldn't it be better to just put a little bubble around the number?

Also, for those used to Magic, you still shouldn't be thinking of it as math, because there have been spells with multiples of X in the casting cost. They are represented by each of the X'es in its own bubble, not by the mathematical notation "2x":

--ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

I guess the consensus is that something should be done but it's not clear what.