Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Must have a Warning Bell System for start of a draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuvas View Post
    Hmmm. Should there be a NEED for a 'ding dong' when the drafting queue pops? I don't think that's relevant to the conversation. Should CZE put one in? Yes! Not to bow down to the casual player, not to make things easier, just as a courtesy to things that happen in real life. Often my wife will be talking to me. I will be eagerly awaiting my next step, and I look away for just ooooonnnee second, and BAM! There goes my first pick. If that happens, it's my fault. But if there was a simple way to avoid it with a 'ping' or 'doowop' or change of music (my personal favorite idea), then it would be common courtesy to allow it.

In addition, a change of background noise would signal a change in attitude, ambiance, etc. It would add to the overall experience.
    I never said it wouldn't be useful. And I think it should be included at some point. But the amount of hyperbole involved in making it seem important is fairly high in this thread. For the duration remaining in alpha (which I am suspecting is a lot shorter than we had initially given CZE credit for) I think we can put up with this.

This needs to be done before launch, but in the meantime, pay more attention. Every 30 seconds is not hard to do - alt+tab at least once a minute and you shouldn't even miss your first pick. I know it isn't ideal, but CZE probably has this under control - we just had people begging for a tournament layout change, and CZE launched a new layout in the same week - they did not just start when the complaints started. CZE are almost always ahead of us and have a firm grasp on what needs to be done.

I think the real topic should be - 'When this feature inevitably arrives, what sound effect wouldn't drive us crazy?'

I vote for Farnsworths 'Good news, everyone.'
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    I think the real topic should be - 'When this feature inevitably arrives, what sound effect wouldn't drive us crazy?'
    I'll go with that!
    AeternaArx in game.

Just remembered something I saw recently btw - CZE has plans for multi-queues or queuing while doing something else in the client. So this is something of a self fixing issue when/if that comes along.

Not to say the bell wouldn't be useful, but if you are busy with Hex already, you won't miss out on much.

The Transcended
    This needs to be done before launch
    I'd say before monetization, rather than before launch. Once money is on the line people will get much more annoyed by this kind of thing. (Dev time for this feature should be very small.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    I'd say before monetization, rather than before launch. Once money is on the line people will get much more annoyed by this kind of thing. (Dev time for this feature should be very small.)
    While it should be small, priorities. It is something that could be done as a side project though, and I hope thats the plan. Seems to be true of the tournament interface, so I could see this being a pattern.

Hero of Adamanth
    A queue system like dota would be good. You press queue then when 8 players are ready it asks if you are ready. If 20 seconds pass you are kicked out and prevented from requeueing for some time.

Another thing to consider is time zone. A queue going from 5 to 8 players can take literally over an hour in my time zone. If I am first to queue I will go and clean kitchen or cook dinner coming back every few minutes to check. As a "casual" gamer with a family I do not have an hour each day to be blankly staring at a queue. I am sure the regulars in my time zone know where I am coming from. I hope everyone else does too.

Quote Originally Posted by Avignon View Post
    A queue system like dota would be good. You press queue then when 8 players are ready it asks if you are ready. If 20 seconds pass you are kicked out and prevented from requeueing for some time.

Another thing to consider is time zone. A queue going from 5 to 8 players can take literally over an hour in my time zone. If I am first to queue I will go and clean kitchen or cook dinner coming back every few minutes to check. As a "casual" gamer with a family I do not have an our each day to be blankly starig at a queue. I am sure the regulars in my time zone know where I am coming from. I hope everyone else does too.
    Can't prevent paying customers from playing. Especially if CZE makes people buy in on queue, rather than on queue resolution.

Hero of Adamanth
    Can't prevent paying customers from playing. Especially if CZE makes people buy in on queue, rather than on queue resolution.
    I don't think what I mentioned involved preventing paying customers from playing. Simple coding would allow them to credit an account if you leave queue or the draft doesn't start.

The 'Ready' button with sound during wait-time is definitley a feature I think CZE should implement.

I'm thinking once the queue fills up it starts a 1 minute timer, with music/sfx playing to get your attention.

The Transcended
    A full minute to start? That seems excessive. 20 to 30 seconds seems better to me.