Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Must have a Warning Bell System for start of a draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    A full minute to start? That seems excessive. 20 to 30 seconds seems better to me.
    Nah I'd actually say a minute is okay. Keep in mind the point of a ready button is that once all players click it then it just starts, ending that timer.

If someone is AFK, distracted having a sound going for a minute is pretty annoying/hard to miss. Like if your SO was talking to you even they would catch on to the annoying noise. 20/30 sec is too short and kinda defeats the purpose of the implementing the wait itme

Having just a few seconds a distinct sound that sounds the start of a draft or any tournament or game is a must in my opinion. As with any game that requires a few minutes waiting time until the queue gets filled, in Hex's case it was close to 30 and more, to not go insane watching a static screen and waiting, I alt+tab and browse the net, or start watching something. I am there, waiting for the tournament to start. An audio notification that's specific to the start of the tournament would tell me, it's time to get the show rolling, and I close whatever I was doing and come back to the game.

For this to work, the ping should be louder than the insanely loud background music.

Master Theorycrafter
    Anybody else notice that now when a queue fires or the game starts there's that wonderful swishing sound? Thanks CZE.
    AeternaArx in game.

That swishing sound has always been there from what I recall. Personally, I'd love some voice prompts when different events happen:

- Draft hits 8 players: Female voice announces "The draft has begun, please take your seat."
    - When time is running out on a pick: "15 seconds left." or "5 seconds left."
    - When a match begins: "You may choose to play first or draw first. Which will it be?"
    - Victory/defeat announcements
    - Round announcements in tournaments: "Round 2 beginning. Good luck!"

In my head I love the sound of a sultry female voice but I get that we're trying not to be sexist here. Perhaps the choice of a male or female voice? There's not that much audio to record, shouldn't be too expensive to get two voice actors for the day.

TL;DR: Sounds are good and improve the UI. Voices are better and more immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
    That swishing sound has always been there from what I recall. Personally, I'd love some voice prompts when different events happen:

- Draft hits 8 players: Female voice announces "The draft has begun, please take your seat."
    - When a match begins: "You may choose to play first or draw first. Which will it be?"

In my head I love the sound of a sultry female voice but I get that we're trying not to be sexist here. Perhaps the choice of a male or female voice? There's not that much audio to record, shouldn't be too expensive to get two voice actors for the day.

TL;DR: Sounds are good and improve the UI. Voices are better and more immersive.
    The novelty of a voice would wear off very quickly. I would rather some epic, tense music.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    The novelty of a voice would wear off very quickly. I would rather some epic, tense music.
    Agreed, no voices.

My vote goes to the Call to the Post trumpet they use for house racing.

Edit: just realised the typo, but wont change for posterity. I'm sure house racing would fun, though.
    Last edited by mudkip; 03-19-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post

Yes, make it with Hal's voice. "Your match is ready Dave"
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mudkip View Post
    Agreed, no voices.

My vote goes to the Call to the Post trumpet they use for house racing.
    ...I would feel like a horse, or a jockey. Still an amusing idea.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Well besides a warning bell, which i'm really agreeing to as it might help me when i'm alt-tabbed or indeed toilet break, i mean come on if you got to go, you got to go...

but i'd also like to have the option to minimize the que and browse the rest of the game, go to my card manager, store what ever... i mean sitting there staring at a que is boring! I'm mostly positive this will be something they put in either the beta or final version but still worth mentioning

I agree some warning would be nice. followed by a 10 sec countdown. This is really needed after the first match and waiting and waiting for next match to start with no way of knowing when that will be.
    At a real life event I can look at the timer after my first match and say hey I can go have a smoke because I have 10 min. before they go to rounds and post the next opponent list on the wall.
    I had passed out waiting for the 3rd match.