Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Must have a Warning Bell System for start of a draft.

  1. #1
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens Georgia
    Posts
    1,238

    Must have a Warning Bell System for start of a draft.

    Having played draft, the thing that frustrated me to no end was the scenario that took place on my very first draft.

    4 players in que,

    I get up to use restroom

    I come back and my first pack is already halfway through the timer.

    A 20-30 second warning bell needs to be implemented for start of a draft. The bell should have a separate volume control save for master control.

    The sealed tournaments were fine because I had 20 minutes to build a deck which normally took me 5. With Draft you get 2 minutes to choose(Maybe less) your first card.

    Please make this a 1-3 patches away fix. Thankyou
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

  2. #2
    Ok, bathroom breaks aside (you can't ignore the call of nature) you really shouldn't be going afk in any tournament. I sit there the whole time, and at most alt+tab and browse the forums etc. Never had an issue.

    I don't disagree that a bell would be handy, but a responsible player shouldn't afk when queueing.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

  3. #3
    Is there currently a warning that it had started if you are alt tabbed out? I assume not but I turn all my sound off so im not positive. I know I alt tabbed out and missed the first 16 picks of a draft without realizing it.
    Read all about Hex straight from the pros at HexTCGPro.com!
    Stream: www.twitch.tv/Disordia

  4. #4
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    699
    Agreed, he should've just crapped himself, would've been the responsible thing to do here.
    On the other hand, if you were in the bathroom, how would the warning bell have helped you?

    I also completely disagree that "a responsible player shouldn't afk while queueing". You can be in the queue for an arbitrary amount of time, and sometimes it goes from 4/8 to full in 30 seconds after being open for 30 minutes. If I don't have something I want to do at my computer, I should be able to get up while I wait and go do something else without fear of missing the start of the draft.
    Member of Cornerstone & The Unnamed Council- Fan of hex.tcgbrowser.com - Has sigs turned off on the forum

  5. #5
    I agree that there should be some more afk/alt-tab friendly warnings. I'm not going to sit there staring at the screen waiting for the queue, I'm going to get up and move around, so it would be nice for an obvious warning that it's about to start.

  6. #6
    I turn the volume way up so that I can hear the change in music when the tournament starts.

  7. #7
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens Georgia
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    Ok, bathroom breaks aside (you can't ignore the call of nature) you really shouldn't be going afk in any tournament. I sit there the whole time, and at most alt+tab and browse the forums etc. Never had an issue.

    I don't disagree that a bell would be handy, but a responsible player shouldn't afk when queueing.
    That is fine for the hardcore player. Indeed if they wish, they can choose to remain constantly at their computer while waiting for the que to resolve. Lets pretend though that this company wants to make money.

    Brand New player starts out with the Draft. It is during the off peak time and so it takes a bit to load 8 people. Somebody knocks on the front door, he needs to let the dog out, he needs to grab some food, or use the restroom and god forbid the wife comes in and complains that the baby needs diaper changing. Now perhaps some of this could be done in the same place as the computer. However if not and he gets up and returns only to find he ran out of time on the first pack, I am pretty sure this will be an unhappy customer.

    It does not take a lot of programming to add in a "Bell" sound and then give 20 seconds for players before the start of a draft. This is why I like Alpha/Beta. It allows time for things and ideas to be tested.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

  8. #8
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    722
    Every competitive game I know asks you to press some sort of "ready" button before a match begins, and if not all people press ready it boots out the afkers and puts the rest back into queue.

    I see no reason why Hex should not add what works for every other big competitive game.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    That is fine for the hardcore player. Indeed if they wish, they can choose to remain constantly at their computer while waiting for the que to resolve. Lets pretend though that this company wants to make money.

    Brand New player starts out with the Draft. It is during the off peak time and so it takes a bit to load 8 people. Somebody knocks on the front door, he needs to let the dog out, he needs to grab some food, or use the restroom and god forbid the wife comes in and complains that the baby needs diaper changing. Now perhaps some of this could be done in the same place as the computer. However if not and he gets up and returns only to find he ran out of time on the first pack, I am pretty sure this will be an unhappy customer.

    It does not take a lot of programming to add in a "Bell" sound and then give 20 seconds for players before the start of a draft. This is why I like Alpha/Beta. It allows time for things and ideas to be tested.
    In a lot of those cases, a bell wouldn't matter. You are arm deep in baby shit, are you going to run to your PC? Not likely. Letting the dog out/walking it? How high does your PC sound have to be to hear the bell?

    Proper planning is the key here. If you don't have time to draft, don't queue. Not rocket science.


    Quote Originally Posted by BlackRoger View Post
    Every competitive game I know asks you to press some sort of "ready" button before a match begins, and if not all people press ready it boots out the afkers and puts the rest back into queue.

    I see no reason why Hex should not add what works for every other big competitive game.
    For those people who alt+tab, or whatever, this seems like a good system. The people who are ready to play can play, and people who aren't can requeue instead of inconveniencing everybody.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

  10. #10
    I have definitely left while in the queue for sealed and returned with several minutes off my timer. No issue there. For draft, if I queue then I wait for it to start. And I wouldn't expect long queues the first day drafts are out. For alt-tabbing a simple noise alert would let people know they need to switch over (although the best solution is just dual monitors). Almost seems like a necessity with the downtime.

    A ready button with a short countdown timer probably is the safest alternative.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •