Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan's Crazy Card Bug Thread!

Alan's Crazy Card Bug Thread!

Engineer Alan needs your help! We're opening this thread in order to provide a place for players to submit their craziest card bugs to him. We need you alpha testers to submit the wildest bugs you've seen and then Alan will work with players in this thread should he need additional information.

He is specifically looking for reproductions steps, so please try to provide as much information as possible so Alan can reproduce the bugs when he's playing HEX. You can submit the crazy bugs directly to our Bug Report Spreadsheet, then link it here and further describe it. Or, you can directly write it up here and our team will put the bug directly into our bug management software.

Thank you to all alpha testers for helping us improve the game, and this should be a great week for getting these bugs squashed!

Update: Due to the success of this thread and so much community support, we're going to keep this thread open for a while longer. Thank you to everyone who's helping!
    Last edited by Shaqattaq; 03-21-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Sounds like fun.

I've seen some really weird behaviour when combining Shrine of Prosperity and Incantation of Fear / Maddening Nightmare.

The setup is that I had 2 Shines of Prosperity in play, and also an Incantation of Fear, in an all Blood discard / denial deck.

Everything was working fine at first, until I got the Incantation to transform into Maddening Nightmare. Things started to go weird very quickly.

Some turns, Shrine of Prosperity would show me things from the opponent's deck instead of my own (but whatever I drew would then be modified as per normal). Some turns, the Maddening Nightmare would show me the top card of my own deck that Shrine of Prosperity had just shown me (but when I hit accept to bury it, the top card of the opponent's deck would be buried as normal). Some turns, even when I hit accept on Maddening Nightmare's revealed card, nothing would be buried from the opponent's deck. Especially weird, though, was that some turns when I hit accept on the last of the 3 triggers (shrine, nightmare, then shrine, based on the other I had played them), I would then draw a card and the game would immediately jump into the attack phase, without ever giving me priority.

I have NO idea how any of this happened, but I need to do more testing with these and other effects that reveal cards or modify cards in the deck and see what happens when you've got more than one different type in play. I tried to recreate the situation I described above, but I haven't managed to get both in play at the same time yet (I haven't tried to do it in a game against a person, because it's super slow and annoying, and I don't expect anyone else to have the patience to sit there and let me mess with their decks all day).
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Hello all.
    When I came up with the idea for this, I knew it would have the ability to make me look really stupid. We try to ready the patch Monday, and let QA beat on it until Thursday. As they find bugs, we fix those deemed big enough immediately, and let some smaller ones pass. We do this so that we don't risk anything slipping in at the last minute. Guess what... There was a bug that I needed to fix, and the fix was to change how often we checked specific things happening. Unfortunately, in fixing that, I also changed how often we check triggers, which caused some triggers to look at stale data. One of these is the return to play trigger on Solitary Exile, so nothing ever comes back. It *was* working, honest...
    I should be pretty active in here for the next week. I am low on bugs, but not without any. My specific area of expertise is card interactions and the rules. Where possible, I will even let you know somewhat why the bug was occurring. Of course, I expect you to find many more bugs than I can solve over the week, so don't get your hopes up on any specific bug. Also, the clearer those repro steps can be, the better.
    I look forward to chatting with everybody. Lets make Hex great!

Is this a good place to mention, then, that any troop with zero native defense put into play by Eye of Creation instantly dies, even if Inspire or other "enters play" abilities boost it? That's probably a checking states at the wrong time bug, too.
    --ossuary

Ossuary: Once upon a time, the client could get confused about what cards were where in the decks. It doesn't actually know, it just pretended it did, and when you got a new card, sometimes it just showed you one at random. The known cases where this was happening have been squashed, and the client is now told the right card by the server.

Either, we missed one (or more), or this won't happen any more. How long ago was the last time you saw this?

Ossuary: I rewrote the As CIP code for this last patch. It was in need of it for quite a few reasons. The right thing here is to play a game, do as little as possible other than what is required to cause the bug, then let me know the minimum steps required. I always need to know that it is still happening. Over 40 different bug fixes are in that patch from the last week, just from me. I don't remember the week before, too long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanComer View Post
    Ossuary: Once upon a time, the client could get confused about what cards were where in the decks.

Either, we missed one (or more), or this won't happen any more. How long ago was the last time you saw this?
    This happened just yesterday, post patch. I was using the new Shrine of Prosperity card (which I LOVE!).

Quote Originally Posted by AlanComer View Post
    Ossuary: I rewrote the As CIP code for this last patch. It was in need of it for quite a few reasons. The right thing here is to play a game, do as little as possible other than what is required to cause the bug, then let me know the minimum steps required. I always need to know that it is still happening. Over 40 different bug fixes are in that patch from the last week, just from me. I don't remember the week before, too long ago!
    Minimum steps would be to just cast Eye of Creation, and have it hit a Briar Legion. If it were the first Briar Legion you cast that game, it would hit the table, become a 2/2, then go to the graveyard. If it were the 2nd Briar Legion you'd seen that game, it would hit the table, they would both become 4/4s, and the new one would still die. Look at it in the graveyard, and it'll still say it's a 4/4.

There's more details and discussion on this issue here: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=33995 - I just thought I would mention it again in this thread since you were specifically talking about checking triggers and stale data in your first post.
    --ossuary

Ok, Good(???) to know shrine of prosperity still happens. Checked out the other thread a little. Trying to figure out if that is the triggers failing code, or something else.

The Transcended
    It's great to have A.C. on the prowl here!

Wouldn't it work better to just hit up the individual threads for each bug, though? It seems like this thread could get rather crowded and confusing otherwise.

Not exactly whacky or zany, but there is a major inconsistency with the come into play gems (the ones I have noticed are the new ones versus a specific old one). The prime diamond life gain gem (I am terrible with names) is not gaining the correct amount of life when a troop is inspired with more defence. This is contrary to the newer effects (like the new blood prime gem that lowers attack) which is working correctly with inspire triggers.

I also noticed that you cannot play your 'first' resource of the turn after you play Eye of creation - is this a bug, or is it because the resources you play with eye also count as played resources for that turn? (Play eye, get several resources, then try to play a new resource but you can't. No resources played before eye.)
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png