Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puck, why Unique?

He's unique because he's a named card, and named cards are unique. For example, having two Lord Alexanders in play isn't broken from a gameplay perspective, but from a lore perspective it makes no sense. Likewise, having two Pucks in play makes no sense, because he's a unique character.
    Keep name is Essq

Actually, I am finding that Puck is more consistent than Howling Brave / Chloro. The reason being, if you only get 1 howling brave in your green ramp deck, you're not going to be casting that Fist until turn 5. Whereas if you build a deck of fatties with Puck, one Puck and nothing else still means you'll get to do SOMETHING. It might not be your giant guy, but you can depend on getting, say, a droo or a pumpable war hulk out on turn 3 even if you fizzle on getting the big guys.

I'm still fine-tuning the deck and testing what works well and what doesn't (it's also hurt because right now you can't use Ozawa with Eye of Creation), but it's reasonably powerful for a theme deck. I wouldn't call it tier 2 constructed, but in a couple of sets, I'm betting it will be WAY better (when we have more options for fixers, support, more and better fatties to choose from, etc.).

The way the deck is now, my "standard" god hand (an 8 or 9 drop on turn 3) is a fair bit easier to get than the Fist god hand (because there are more than 1 ways to get it, thanks to the options Puck gives you, and the fact that nothing I'm using is more than 3 threshold), and my "god hand" god hand with everything perfect gets me an 11-15 point Eye of Creation on turn 3 or 4. I also managed an Eye of Creation for 17 (that's 20 mana) on turn 6 or 7, I forget which. You could almost leave the Eye out completely and go to either Ruby or Blood instead, with burn to the ground / life siphon. Like most combo decks, this kind of thing is "just stay alive long enough to win."
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

To give an example, I just finished a game with a fairly average hand. 2 resources, and Puck. I wasn't able to do anything turn 3 because I didn't have enough resources in play, but turn 4 I drew my 3rd resource, and was able to generate a total of 16 mana. I didn't have EoC in hand, so I "settled" for hard casting Wrathwood Colossus and King Gabriel.

It's a pretty nice deck. Making Puck not unique is a bad idea.
    --ossuary

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlschool View Post
    He's unique because he's a named card, and named cards are unique. For example, having two Lord Alexanders in play isn't broken from a gameplay perspective, but from a lore perspective it makes no sense. Likewise, having two Pucks in play makes no sense, because he's a unique character.
    Why are we ignoring this? He's unique because he's unique. It has nothing to do with balance. Stop making balance arguments for/against him being unique, that won't change unless they change the name to not be the character Puck.
    I hate your big image banner signature, and blocked it with adblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Funsocks View Post
    Why are we ignoring this? He's unique because he's unique. It has nothing to do with balance. Stop making balance arguments for/against him being unique, that won't change unless they change the name to not be the character Puck.
    I don't think Blackroger was purposefully ignoring it. People often forget cards are unique for purely flavor reasons. No ones at fault, I overlook flavor all the time. Been playing mtg too long

He's a character in the lore. That's why.

Hex Price - For all your price information!

Hex Rock League - Join the free to play Hex Rock League now!

That's a ridiculous argument. The cards were not made unique because they had picked out a name for them. They picked out names for them because they were designed to be unique, with powers that were too good to allow multiples. The story / lore is an added feature, not the initial cause of the unique status.
    --ossuary

Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    That's a ridiculous argument. The cards were not made unique because they had picked out a name for them. They picked out names for them because they were designed to be unique, with powers that were too good to allow multiples. The story / lore is an added feature, not the initial cause of the unique status.
    Okay, then why is Lord Alexander unique?
    Collector Tier - I am out of my mind spending this much on a Kickstarter. You better be good, Hex!

Quote Originally Posted by BenRGamer View Post
    Because he is a 3/3 and only 1 ruby threshold for 3, plus an effect? Hardly broken, but considering he could inspire himself in that situation, a handful would be rather deadly.

It is slightly above curve and splashable. And he is part of the Triumvirate after all.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Quote Originally Posted by BenRGamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    Triumvirate
    End of line.
    --ossuary