Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Puck, why Unique?

  1. #1
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    722

    Puck, why Unique?

    So I took puck for a test run today with a mostly 5+ cost creatures deck.
    Which is when I found out that he was unique.

    Now, I'm all for memorable unique characters, but Puck is a build-around card, if you put him in you want to make a very specific deck, and you want 4 of him to be able to actually make use of this synergy.
    However, making him unique hurts this card really hard, as any copy past the first is useless, which means using 4-off is a risk.
    In my specific game I drew 3 of him but couldn't use that to actually ramp into my Eternal Guardian.

    So, I know this probably won't be changed at this point, but I just wanted to point this out so future build-around cards don't get hurt by what I see as a design error.

    As always, I'd like to hear what people have to say on this matter.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackRoger View Post
    However, making him unique hurts this card really hard, as any copy past the first is useless
    Not if the first gets burned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattaq View Post
    The engineers are always working.
    Quote Originally Posted by wasichu View Post
    counterspelling a counterspell locks up game as well

  3. #3
    If he wasn't unique, you would be able to play huge troops very quickly (already possible and quite strong if done right.)

    2x Puck in play with even 2-3 high cost troops is a big deal. You can do things like Eye of creation for a large number, or play 2+ 5 cost troops.

    It can be a bad card, but it can also be an amazing card. Unique is the balancing factor that leaves it good, but not broken.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

  4. #4
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    If he wasn't unique, you would be able to play huge troops very quickly (already possible and quite strong if done right.)

    2x Puck in play with even 2-3 high cost troops is a big deal. You can do things like Eye of creation for a large number, or play 2+ 5 cost troops.

    It can be a bad card, but it can also be an amazing card. Unique is the balancing factor that leaves it good, but not broken.
    First of all, unless you have at least 3 high drops in your hand, he still isn't better than a chlorophylia.
    Should he be better then a chlorophylia in a deck built around him? absolutely.

    Second, Artifacts can ramp just as good and I haven't seen complaints that dopplegadgets should be unique yet...

    Thirdly, Yes, puck is already an unreliable card, sometimes he'll be good, other times you have an empty hand, top-deck your eye of creation, and he gets you nothing.

    I don't feel he needs more restrictions.
    He is neither consistent nor usefull late-game, and now that you can't even build around him I no longer see a reason for him to exist.
    Last edited by BlackRoger; 03-16-2014 at 04:04 PM.

  5. #5
    Puck being unique is very important, otherwise it would be too crazy
    Wishlist
    Timezone: GMT+1

  6. #6
    I have successfully cast a Wrathwood Colossus on turn 3 with just a single Puck in play (no howling brave, no chlorophyllia). Having him not be unique would be completely and utterly broken.

    You can absolutely build around him. You just have to build around him and one other important thing, in combination.
    --ossuary

    "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

  7. #7
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    722
    Ya know what, lets brain storm, whats the worst puck could do if he wasn't unique?
    I know it ain't turn 3 fist because he doesn't give you the threshold.

    So say you have a grip full of biggies, pucks, and an eye of creation.
    Turn 1 wild shard. (6 cards in hand)
    Turn 2 wild shard + puck (5 cards in hand)
    Turn 3 wild shard + puck, still can't play a 5 drop (4 cards in hand, lets assume 3 biggies and an eye).
    Turn 4 draw a biggy, Eye of creation for 11.

    Now lets look at same plan with with brave/chloro.
    Turn 1 wild shard, brave.
    Turn 2 wild shard, chloro.
    Turn 3 wild shard, chloro.
    Turn 4 wild shard + Eye of creation for 9.

    So both hands were very specific hands, and the puck did slightly better.
    But take into consideration that draw your eye a little later or too many eyes and puck becomes much much worse.
    I don't see him being non-unique as OP unless brave + chloro is OP.
    Last edited by BlackRoger; 03-16-2014 at 04:33 PM.

  8. #8
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by ossuary View Post
    I have successfully cast a Wrathwood Colossus on turn 3 with just a single Puck in play (no howling brave, no chlorophyllia). Having him not be unique would be completely and utterly broken.

    You can absolutely build around him. You just have to build around him and one other important thing, in combination.
    I'll admit I did not think I'd hear someone do something like that with puck yet.
    How consistent is that deck?

    Still, I ask you this:
    Would puck not being unique have made him stronger in that situation?
    Na, if you had more than 1 in your hand you would not have been able to play it on turn 3.
    People keep looking at the specific state in which he's great, but making him non-unique does not make him better at that state.
    It just makes him less miserable when you don't draw your god hand.
    Last edited by BlackRoger; 03-16-2014 at 04:32 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackRoger View Post
    I'll admit I did not think I'd hear someone do something like that with puck yet.
    How consistent is that deck?

    Still, I ask you this:
    Would puck not being unique have made him stronger in that situation?
    Na, if you had more than 1 in your hand you would not have been able to play it on turn 3.
    People keep looking at the specific state in which he's great, but making him non-unique does not make him better at that state.
    It just makes him less miserable when you don't draw your god hand.
    Well, it would make him better if you had no Eye in hand, but had a couple of unstoppable beaters to pump out instead (think fist/collosus.)

    Being non-unique would just make it more flexible when your hand is less optimal. Not sure if that would make it completely broken though.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

  10. #10
    Hmm the more I actually think about the more I think Puck shouldn't be unique, especially with that ability.

    Best case Puck: 7 card hand. lets say on the draw. Puck, Eye of creation, 4 troops cost>5, resource

    t1 resource+ Howling brave, and troop pwr>5 -> t2 puck, draw another puck -> t3 puck, draw troop cost>5 -> t4 draw troop pwr>5. So 6 troops +eye of creation.

    Pucks can add 14 and you can eye of creation for 13.

    Looks bonkers, but then I realize such a high risk deck should be rewarded. Imagine all the no puck games they could have.

    What I think most decks will do: Run Puck as a support in addition to Brave, *maybe* chloro

    Pucks most of the time in these decks will be a bad howling brave, moderately Pucks will be gain 2/0. And once in while you''ll get a gain 3/0.

    @Oss: Do you think if the Puck had been killed t2 you wouldve auto lost that game? (the one where you t3 Colossus?) In addition how consistent is that deck? I see it falling flat alot from the hand required to t3 Colossus.

    In general:

    You can only have soo many cards in hand. If two of them are pucks and you played em it most likeley means you also had 2 resources. Even with drawsteps Pucks power level doesn't deem the unique IMO.

    BUUTT power and flavor are different things. There was a time even in magic where flavor and lore could make a card legendary or mythic rare. So while I agree w/ BlackRoger that pucks pwr level isnt unique worthy (I think wrenlock is well chosen unique card) I do think flavor-wise it might make sense to have puck be 2 cost and unique.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •