Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Hate the New Deck Builder Screen for Draft

I Hate the New Deck Builder Screen for Draft

Its awful.

1. Too much wasted screen space
    2. It is not intuitive
    3. Small view is too small, Large view is too big. (I have a 15.6 inch laptop)
    4. To save deck you have to click the little gear
    5. Sort by resource cost is terrible it just lays out all your cards individually. Need to stack them on top of each other like MTGO does.

Obviously we will get use to however it ends up, but right now its bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivdaddy View Post
    Its awful.

1. Too much wasted screen space
    2. It is not intuitive
    3. Small view is too small, Large view is too big. (I have a 15.6 inch laptop)
    4. To save deck you have to click the little gear
    5. Sort by resource cost is terrible it just lays out all your cards individually. Need to stack them on top of each other like MTGO does.

Obviously we will get use to however it ends up, but right now its bad.
    I disagree, I quite like it - especially knowing they are going to put more work into it.

My take on Card Manager

I will try to be as harsh as possible: the card manager is BAD. But because saying just BAD doesnt help at all. I will give what i see as bad, and how it can be improved.

The Bad things
    1. Right now on 1920x1080 on a 27" monitor which is the biggest view size you can have, the card text is unreadable. So why have it to begin with ?
    2. The whole interface looks like way too "Grid" Based, this looks more like an excel rather than a game.
    3. We lose too much space on top and bottom for no apparent reason ( well at least from my own point of view )
    4. Even when i select card, and it's on my Deck, on maximum view size on 27" monitor, cards are still unreadable.

What you can do to fix things
    In my opinion you cant, you either scrap the current interface/view or you tell to the players to live like this. But in my very own opinion, this is not a card manager of a game released in 2014.

What i Suggest
    Check the card Manager of Magic 2014. Add plenty of Filters like you have already done. Force to Not be able to view the whole collection, but to have to check each Tier seperately. So players wont have to "scroll to the sides" for ages. and copy paste the same at the bottom of the screen for the cards selected for card selection.

If you dont want to use the same interface, at least try something different than the one you use now ( Excel Based ) Moreover, if you try to do something close to what i suggest, it will be easier to use the deck manager on tablets too. You wont have to make a totally different one, because this deck manager if it's hard to use on PC, imagine what will happen on tablets.

I am not trying to be a prick, as i said i will try to be harsh. But in my very opinion, if you want to appeal to the masses, this interface is definetely extremely aesthetically AND convinient wise BAD.

P.S on the other hand, on everything else except card manager: GOOD JOB
    P.S2 Hope even a little bit, i helped but providing my feedback on this new card manager
    Last edited by wutae; 03-28-2014 at 02:43 PM.

I hope you don't mean the card manager in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014

Also, what's the point of being harsh. It's not constructive criticism... you just sound like a prick who fails to get his point across.

Hex Price - For all your price information!

Hex Rock League - Join the free to play Hex Rock League now!

The Transcended
    I'd very much like to be able to drag cards around in the bottom pane. When I'm building a deck in a physical TCG, I do a first pass through every possible card and grab everything that might fit. I then go back and start culling things out until I get to 60 cards. During this process, it is nice to have "zones" in my tableau for things like "cards I know will make the cut", "cards that might make the cut"; or "creatures", "spells", "non-creature permanents"; or "1-drops", "2-drops", ...; and so on. I often sift the cards between those multiple times as I'm building.

It is awful, no questions asked. Good news is we are in alpha and things should change.

So you like it because they are going to change it? Thats a good reason, lol. Right now its trash, but like you said the good news is it will only get better.

I agree, DotP deck manager was pretty much the worst way I could think of to implement a deckbuilder.
    I actually like the grid-based appearance, and am not sure how else you'd want to arrange them anyways. They're cards, and you'd want to avoid overlap, so... put them in a grid. I do think the text is laughably small, but that's what the mouseover is for, and you can switch to a view that's easily large enough to identify by picture and card name. And I'm viewing on a 22" monitor, for what it's worth. I dunno, I like the manager. I do think the scroll bars actually need a draggable scroll bar in them, but I'm assuming that's coming. Someone at CZE does not like programming scroll bars, it seems :P

Having the filters available without using a drop-down menu will probably be a lot better for tablets, and I definitely agree that the top banner reading 'Card Manager' could lose a couple inches vertically.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Quote Originally Posted by Kroan View Post
    I hope you don't mean the card manager in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014

Also, what's the point of being harsh. It's not constructive criticism... you just sound like a prick who fails to get his point across.
    What you mean it's not constructive criticism, i tried to make as many points as possible, well i may not have english as my native language, but i am trying to point as many points as possible. And in the end, if something is bad, it is bad. It's not like it has something that can be fixed, the whole interface " IN MY VERY OWN OPINION" as i tried to point on my initial post is made the wrong way. And i pointed what i believe looks and feels better, if you dont believe the same, then you are free to say so.

But the whole idea of my post is to point my concerns, and see if others have the same opinion, if many people complain about the new interface then maybe CZE will do some drastic changes, oh and btw i didnt like the previous one either, but i thought as everyone else that it was just a placeholder. And as it seems it was.

Then I'll say this. The DotP 2014 deck builder is the worst I can imagine for a game like Hex. It might be fine if you switch out one or two cards for a premade deck (like in DotP 2014), but it's lack luster for managing (big) collections of cards. Even bringing it up to make your point is insane.

If you can't read the cards, maybe you should spend a bit more time in the game and recognize cards by their art. If I'm building a deck in real life, I'm laying out the cards in front of me. I actually have to pick them up to read them, but most of the times I can recognize them by their art. (Besides, you can't read them in the DotP interface either....)
    Last edited by Kroan; 03-28-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Hex Price - For all your price information!

Hex Rock League - Join the free to play Hex Rock League now!