Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feature Request/Suggestion: Text Game Logs

Quote Originally Posted by Mejis View Post
    On a side note, are you playing Dominion through Goko then? I thought Goko was considered a huge disaster. I checked it out upon initial release but haven't been back since.
    I was actually one of Goko's most vocal detractors back in the day. They went from absolute nightmare (August 2012, their original "release") to huge disaster (January 2013) to tolerable (April 2013, their real release). They're now a bit better than tolerable at most times, though using the addon that some community members have programmed moves them from tolerable to reasonable. They had a rough few days when TotalBiscuit tried out Goko and a ton of his followers basically crashed the server for the better part of the week, so they still have major issues.

They've also now been purchased or licensed or something to another company... which may or may not be for the better.

Unlike HEX or even MTGO, their service isn't set up for tournaments and the like; instead, tournaments get run by people like me. The current one is a 128-player Swiss. It's been... a bit crazy!

Master Theorycrafter
    I really like this idea, combined with the tournament results trackers that, say, MtGO that records which archetypes place in daily events/etc, and how many enter. it also gives a relative idea of deck compositions. mtgo-stats.com comes to mind.

It's an analytical tool that gives a rough meta breakdown by archetype. And fills in the archetype if X cards from it are present. it also gives every card used by the archetype for the reporting period, but not the exact numbers in the decks on the main page, just the likelihood of seeing them. I like it a lot, and hope something like this develops for Hex just to give us a resource to see what's going on, how the meta is shifting, etc.

Along with personal game logs, a lot of information would be able to be gleaned in a short span of time. And I think they are two tools(tournament logging on one side, personal logging games for yourself) that could be used to increase player skill, timing, etc.

Anyway, as to the OP, I am for this. Though seeing exact deck comp may be problematic, this typo of logging is easy to read and intuitive. +1
    Pro Player

I like the idea of making these types of logs available to players, but I'd also eventually love to see an ingame replay viewer of previously played games like MTGO offers (only without the YEAR old issue of games not being reliably saved to your replay log file) as tools for people to analyze their games and other games more easily. I'm a fan of logs including decklists for all tournament and ranked matches (but only be included after the tournament has finished so to not provide information for people still playing in it) but I wouldn't mind people being able to hide decklists in non ranked games if they want to, for instance so you could test new deck ideas in practice games without the whole details being immediately publicized if your opponent deems it to be interesting.

I'd also like to see Draft logs included as well, with all the picks all players made (again, only accessible after that tournament has finished) so you can analyze that and get a better idea of what everybody else deems to be important, or to understand how you got a certain card 4th pick and so on. It feels like making these things accessible to players can only help everyone get better at the game, which is a good thing.

Something else to consider down the line would be a spectator mode that shows a time delayed feed of a match including both players hands so casting games becomes a lot more accessible. I feel something like this could really help the esports aspect of larger tournaments in the future, so I hope it's something they at least consider implementing in some fashion at some point.

There's a lot of options for building an API/Tools to make analyzing the game and metagame more accessible in Hex, and I feel a lot of them would benefit the building of a proper competitive scene.

Spectator mode and replays are both confirmed, but spectator mode will be disabled during tournaments. I believe both features were kickstarter stretch goals?
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Why would spectator mode be disabled in Tournaments??? That is the only real time i would want to spectate anyway. And Paper card games you can spectate matches during tournaments. Dont see why you wouldnt be able to here

Quote Originally Posted by poizonous View Post
    Why would spectator mode be disabled in Tournaments??? That is the only real time i would want to spectate anyway. And Paper card games you can spectate matches during tournaments. Dont see why you wouldnt be able to here
    It was mentioned by Cory recently, to prevent cheating. He didn't discuss delays, or live Esports, but standard limited/constructed both seem to be off limits for now.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

High Tomb Lord
    I'm against the visualisation of a game log while playing. It makes the game more causal... For me it is the most interesting fact, that you have to think for playing that game!
    -----------------------------------------
    Grand King + Pro Player + Collector + King

The Transcended
    Alpha forum, R.I.P.

Ideas should probably go in Beta or in General Discussion. If you want people to read them, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
    I like the idea of making these types of logs available to players, but I'd also eventually love to see an ingame replay viewer of previously played games like MTGO offers (only without the YEAR old issue of games not being reliably saved to your replay log file) as tools for people to analyze their games and other games more easily. I'm a fan of logs including decklists for all tournament and ranked matches (but only be included after the tournament has finished so to not provide information for people still playing in it) but I wouldn't mind people being able to hide decklists in non ranked games if they want to, for instance so you could test new deck ideas in practice games without the whole details being immediately publicized if your opponent deems it to be interesting.
    I would like to add to the replay feature, which I would love to use to help review mistakes I've made to help improve my game play. In addition, I would like to have the ability to have these files saved in such a way locally that we could "back up" these files. I often play Digital TCGs on multiple computers and I'd like to review replays on either of my computers.