Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if a bug - terribad card draws on every game

I usually do a random pile shuffle followed by a regular shuffle. By random, I mean that instead of going through each 6 "slots" in sequence I choose a random slot for each card. Then I follow that by a regular shuffle.

Regarding the amount of resources, considering I'm getting mana screwed and mana flooded equally and in every single game, I doubt it's related to the amount of resources. I play mostly aggro decks so 22-23 is good enough, I'd say.

Regardless, I have a sane amount of resources. It's not like I'm going around with 30 lands or 10 lands. 22-23 resources should be more than enough for any 60-card deck to NOT give me mana screw or mana flood every single game. What I'm trying to understand is, why does this affect me, and my roommate, and why it doesn't go away, and hasn't for months now? This is why I believe this might be some sort of bug of sorts, because that's just too much bad luck shared between two people.

Keep some records of your games (resources/total cards drawn) if you actually believe you are consistently drawing too few lands and then compare after decent sample size against what you would have expected statistically.

Because honestly, there is an endless amount of this kind of thing that without some actual evidence the only sane conclusion is that you're just having bad luck, over emphasizing your bad draws, or just don't remember properly what you've actually drawn.

LittleCodingFox,

To save yourself from ridicule, I'd suggest doing a search on the forum for resource screw or flood, and observe that this issue has been discussed at such length to have reached the point of causing instantaneous flame-wars and people have gotten banned over bickering contests about it. As much as it's been argued, nobody was able to come up with substantial evidence to counter CZE's official response of "We've examined the resource system randomness, and found it's working fine" [paraphrasing].
    It's been done to death and there's no good that can come of re-hashing it again.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCodingFox View Post
    I'm getting mana screwed and mana flooded equally and in every single game...
    If this is true, how could it even be a bug? What kind of bug can give you far more resources that average in some games and far less in others?

https://hextcg.com/randomization/

Shuffler is fine. You're just having a bad streak of luck. It happens.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Werlix View Post
    If this is true, how could it even be a bug? What kind of bug can give you far more resources that average in some games and far less in others?

https://hextcg.com/randomization/

Shuffler is fine. You're just having a bad streak of luck. It happens.
    Yeah I agree with Werlix. Plus, that article is an awesome read

This is the thing that gets me with random games; it's entirely possible that one person is the best TCG playerin the world, I'm talking almost unbeatable here, and yet through pure random chance he has never in his life drawn a decent opening hand. He has always had to mulligan to 3 or 4. I mean, yes, that's very very unlikely. But it's possible!

Determined Zombie
    I stopped playing ai in 830 because I just drew shards every turn after I got my hand. Deck works fine against humans. Tried 3x and had same result 3x where I just got shards It did feel like it was a bug but couldn't be sure. I even used shard of fate to reshuffle deck mid game and still just got shards...

II'll check ai again today with new patch.
    Hex Keep Name: old lost because it had a space Castle Grayskull now PlunDarr

Quote Originally Posted by Ali3nSan View Post
    Tried 3x and had same result 3x where I just got shards It did feel like it was a bug but couldn't be sure.
    Do you really think that 3, I mean THREE, is a decent sample size? you must be kidding, no offence of course.

On one project, the customer complained that Event A happened too frequently based on their sample size of 1,000 events. I disagreed. Eventually, they hired somebody independent to test it. They came back after testing 1,000 events. Yes, it was definitely wrong. The event happened too infrequently. I ran a test of 1,000,000 events. It was fine. Sample size is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleCodingFox View Post
    I mean that usually we start with decent cards or 5-7 resources, either way we mulligan if necessary, we often get good hands like two shards and 5 useful cards, but as the game progresses we usually are stuck with 2 to 4 shards for over 10 turns or we get infinity +1 shard draws instead. This happens every single game, not just every now and then. We never seem to have a regular game.

By bad cards I obviously mean cards that are completely useless to us because it's either no shards drawn all the time or all shards drawn all the time. It's not uncommon for our games to go in a way where we get a shard draw 10 turns in a row.
    I have also experienced this since the latest patch!

24/60 or 17/40 resources. Even got me switching to 26/60 or 18/40. But that did not help either. In draft i also saw my opponents mulligan about 30% more often than before. Might be the feeling or a streak of bad luck (which sure happens ofc), but it seemed quite unlikely compared to actual random.
    King Tier Backer

Quote Originally Posted by Werlix View Post
    I would be trivially easy for such a bug to exist. Just like you could have a bugged dice roller that always came up wither '2' or '12'. You seem to think if the average is correct then the distribution must also be correct, or that any errors only happen on one of two extremes.

I'm not saying the shuffler is broken, but your rational for it being fine is completely wrong, as anyone with any coding experience can tell you.