Thread: Ideas for PvE: VIP Rewards and Primal Packs

Ideas for PvE: VIP Rewards and Primal Packs

I noticed that while VIP currently has a lot of enticing content for PvP players (discounted packs, free tournaments), it is severely lacking in something to draw in PvE players. Sure, PvE players can use the booster packs in their deck, but that's hardly something that would be a huge draw for PvE players. They should offer something on par with the tournaments to entice people who will be playing primarily PvE into becoming VIPs.

My suggestion: Veteran Rewards.

Each month, add a new PvE promo card to the VIP program, and all VIP players get 2 copies of that card. This could be done either as a monthly incentive, having a unique card every month, or as a program where you get each new card the longer you are subscribed, with each reward coming after you 'unlock' the previous one.

The other idea I had, was having Primal Packs as drops in PvE. Now, this should by NO MEANS be easy. It should be an extreme challenge to get them. Something like "Beat a raid boss with all players in the raid using a highlander deck" in order to get it at a drop rate equal to that of buying packs gets you. This gives players who work hard at the game a way to get additional cards, as well as giving PvE players a resource to appeal to PvP players.

Currently, PvP content is usable in PvE, but there is no actual draw to try and take on PvE content, for people normally interested in only tournaments. Offering Primal Packs would be a great way to get those players to try PvE, and get more invested in the game. It also rewards PvE players that work hard, encouraging free to play players to stick with the game, and gives them a way to access some of the harder to obtain cards without having to give up money.

F2P players could also sell these packs, or the contents of them, onto the auction house, allowing them to get money to use to try out the multiplayer content, without actually having to pay to commit to it. HOWEVER, since they would be primal packs, and not regular boosters, this will help keep players from being able to 'go infinite' with drafts, just through grinding a raid.

The drop rate for these would have to be VERY small, and the conditions for it to drop very difficult, or it could disrupt the in-game economy pretty badly. However, I believe that, regulated properly, it could really help the game grow, and convince F2P players to commit to the game, and pick up paid content.
    EDIT: Rapkannibale pointed out that gold will only be offered in PvE, and it being in tournaments is just a placeholder, meaning PvP players will have to do PvE content to roll on chests, or trade their PvP cards to PvE players to get the gold. This accomplishes the same goal, and in a much more balanced, less farmable method, so I'm striking out this idea. I completely forgot about that, and was trying to come up with a system the game already accounts for.
    Last edited by halfwing; 04-28-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Rigid Buffalo
    In a Gumtree, eating Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew
    I would put it as a 0.1% JESUS CHRIST LUCK drop, and then even I can see that dungeon being raided over and over again by chinese gold farmers.

Maybe a PvE only pack that drops all PvE rares/equipment would be better. As it's shown, PvE is going to be insanely powerful anyway cardwise, so you'll probably want those varients if you're doing PvE dungeons.

EDIT: Or better, once you've gotten that drop, you will never get it again, you win. Or make it account bound.
    I backed Hex and all I got was this stupid signature.

From my POV a PVE driven player play the F2P part of the game and does not want to pay for stuff.

A PVE promo card sounds like the best way to make the game "pay to win" and discourage a lot of players.
    Wishlist
    Timezone: GMT+1

I'm not sure why the VIP program should have a PvE reward/element, it seems a bit contrary to what CZE's philosophy behind PvE is as I understood it. In my opinion not everything available in one mode should have a use in the other. In fact, I think it is best that PvE and PvP have as least to do with each other as possible, with only the AH as the general interaction point. That should keep both modes healthy and in 'competition' with each other.

And adding even the smallest chance of a primal pack drop in PvE will indeed result in people farming for those 24/7. No farmer can resist the opportunity to make money for no cost at all, while the PvP player dabbling in PvE will most likely not see a primal pack drop in PvE at all.

Besides, the draw for PvP players to play in PvE should be the content it has to offer. I actually expect quite a lot of PvPers to dabble in PvE, but only the most serious PvEers to be able to run the raids/high level content, as it also will be the other way round. Which seems like a good balance to me...
    Last edited by GhundiPI; 04-28-2014 at 09:57 AM.

I like the unique cards idea, it would be really cool to have that kind of rewards from the VIP program.
    Maybe it could be an unique alternate design of an existing card ? It would appeal to the collectors but not unbalance nor pay to win

The Transcended
    CZE needs to be very careful about what they monetize (charge Plat directly) in the "free to play" section of the game.

I think the premiss that PvP cards will not be valuable to PvE players is probably flawed.

The PvP set includes lot of the staple cards that are likely useful to everyone. Also gear enhanced PvP cards may be about on par with gear enhanced PvE cards even in PvE cards are usually stronger than PvP cards in a vacuum.

I think these are great ideas but they would require a lot of consideration to not unbalance the economy.

I feel that CZE already has a solid foundation for how the modes care about each other:

PVP cards can be used in PVE so PVE players will seek out those cards.

PvP players need gold to upgrade their chests and that can (even though it is currently not the case) only be obtained via PVE or selling cards for gold in the AH.

However I think veteran rewards are a great idea.
    Contributor of the Hex TCG Wiki
    Pledges: Pro + 2x Collector + King

Quote Originally Posted by Eierdotter View Post
    From my POV a PVE driven player play the F2P part of the game and does not want to pay for stuff.

A PVE promo card sounds like the best way to make the game "pay to win" and discourage a lot of players.
    They already DID that though. That was what every single kickstarter reward was, that wasn't just an alt art card. Spectral Lotus Garden is arguably the most pay to win thing in existence, and Raid Leader provides a major bonus that will likely trivialize a lot of PvE content.

I don't see how giving a bonus to people who provide ongoing support for the game, is all that different from providing a bonus to people who provided initial support for the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
    I think the premiss that PvP cards will not be valuable to PvE players is probably flawed.

The PvP set includes lot of the staple cards that are likely useful to everyone. Also gear enhanced PvP cards may be about on par with gear enhanced PvE cards even in PvE cards are usually stronger than PvP cards in a vacuum.
    I feel its important to note that PvE players WILL be getting PvP cards. PvE and PvP players get the same starter decks, which are the current one in the games. 100% PvP. This is going to provide an initial 'seed' of PvP cards that PvE players will need (I will bet MONEY that PvE players are still going to really want burn. Especially with the set bonus that Burn+Burn to the Ground+Inferno gets), but getting the common staples should be easy, as I'm sure many PvP players will be putting their 20+ copies of Burn on the auction house, to make some quick gold to upgrade their chests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapkannibale View Post
    PVP cards can be used in PVE so PVE players will seek out those cards.

PvP players need gold to upgrade their chests and that can (even though it is currently not the case) only be obtained via PVE or selling cards for gold in the AH.

However I think veteran rewards are a great idea.
    Oh! I completely forgot that having gold from tournaments is only temporary. That is probably a much better incentive then primal packs, and rolling chests DOES have a chance to get a primal (which is a potential way for pve to get them, if chests also drop in PvE). I'll strike out that part of the post. The entire point of it was to provide additional incentive to PvP players, but thats probably not needed once gold gets fixed.