Difference between "when you play" and "when enter play" (WOW TCG)

Hey guys, I have this doubt.

This is a typical power: "When this ally enters play, you may... ". I think it's clear, you can use the power of the card when the ally enters to the "play zone".

There's a similar power: "When you play an ally, ...". What exactly does "play" means in this kind of cards? According to the Official Card Reference: "To play a card is to add it to the chain from another zone". So I think I can use the card's power when I do anything to play that card, that includes: propose an attack, attack, propose a defense, defense, protect, exhaust, even when enter play. Am I correct? Same question when the card is an ability or equipment.

Any idea will be really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by aldomori View Post
    So I think I can use the card's power when I do anything to play that card, that includes: propose an attack, attack, propose a defense, defense, protect, exhaust, even when enter play.
    None of those things are a card being played. In order for a card to be played it has to move from one zone, usually your hand, to the chain zone. None of those things, except the last, cause the card to change zones. When a card changes zones everything about it is reset, including the amount of damage on it. So if any of those things caused the card to change zones allies would constantly be healing up to full every time they were involved in combat, which doesn't happen.

A card entering play is also not playing a card. In order for a card to enter play it either has to resolve off of the chain, in which case you already played it earlier, or some link on the chain has to move it into play from another zone, in which case it was never on the chain and so you never played it.

Does that make sense?
    Things to do at WonderCon: Be Cory Jones.

Old FAQs, courtesy of Bernado

Thanks BlueRider. However I have to addmit that now I'm more confused. Maybe the best way to understand these differences between "play" and "enter play" is with some examples. Do you mind giving me some examples or scenaries for those cases?

Thanks so much!

So lets say you have a random ally in your hand that you want to get into play. You reveal it, pay all of its costs and move it to the chain zone. Once you've done that the ally has been played and anything looking for you to play a card, like Warsong Gulch, will do whatever it does. The ally hasn't entered play yet, it is still on the Chain waiting to resolve.

Assuming both you and your opponent don't add any other links to the chain, that ally will resolve and enter the Play zone under your control. It has now entered the play zone and anything looking for it to enter play, like Amara Kells, will do whatever it is it does.

For an example of a card entering play without being played lets look at Resurrection. You have Resurrection in your hand, you reveal it, choose an ally in your graveyard to target, pay its cost and move it to the Chain. You have played Resurrection.

Eventually Resurrection resolves and moves the ally you targeted from your Graveyard to the Play zone under your control. The ally never touched the Chain, so it was not Played but it did enter Play. Resurrection did not enter Play, because it isn't an Ongoing Ability, so doesn't enter Play, but it was Played.

Does that help?

Yeah... that really helps!
    So, the only way to prevent and ally to enter play when that ally was already played is to kill him or her with an instant card or something similar, rigtht?

You would need a card that could interrupt an ally, like Nether Fracture. You can't destroy it, because only cards in play can be destroyed.

Interesting, I usually don't use that kind of cards. I will keep in mind.

Thanks BlueRider!

Nonetheless I need to concede that now I'm more befuddled. Perhaps the most ideal approach to comprehend these contrasts amongst "play" and "enter play" is with a few cases. Buy assignment online | Finestassignments. Do you mind giving me a few cases or views for those cases? Much appreciated to such an extent!