Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

I would put a large amount of money that CZE's lawyers have been prepared for this day for months and have an arsenal of legal arguments at their disposal. CZE and Cory are not going to embark on a multi-million dollar venture without legal assurance that they are in the right. I'm not overly concerned and am happy that so many people are going to be hearing about Hex over the next few months!

Quote Originally Posted by EntropyBall View Post
    I'm curious at what level of duplication people would consider Hex to violate MTG's IP rights? Do you guys think (legally or morally) that exploring the digital space alone would be enough, given that the base rules are nearly the same?

This is not Gin Rummy or Yugioh vs MTG. The legal brief has more than a page long list of game mechanics that are identical. Haven't phone companies sued each other (and won) just because a phone had the same visual style/shape?
    Unfortunately, the primary difference between Hex and MtGO is the PvE campaign, which hasn't been implemented yet. Mechanically, it's clear that Hex's rules and build are not just inspired by, but directly derived from MtG's. The turn components, the chain, the card types, etc. There is some development and innovation in the current iteration of Hex, of course: the tweak to threshold, permanent instead of transient cards, and the champions.

Champions may be a significant enough development to signify a different product, as it's an element of gameplay that's not really reproducible in MtG.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgol View Post
    According to the wizards.com link
    Barbara Finigan, Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Hasbro. “We attempted to resolve this issue, but Cryptozoic was unwilling to settle the matter.”
    Yes..."Unwilling" when you showed up and demanded millions of dollars? Or 50% royalties?
    Oh CZE you stubborn stubborn people...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgol View Post
    This is exactly what this will boil down to sadly.

According to the wizards.com link
    Barbara Finigan, Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Hasbro. “We attempted to resolve this issue, but Cryptozoic was unwilling to settle the matter.”
    I know Cryptozoic probably can't discuss the litigation but some day I hope we can find out how insulting the "attempts to resolve this issue" were.

Probably sent a cease and desist letter demanding payment immediately and then filed the lawsuit when Cryptozoic laughed at them.

It's kind of funny because Hasbro refused to pay royalties to the super soaker company and lost $80 million in the courts...
    http://www.ajc.com/news/business/sup...-hasbro/nbjmm/

Hypocritical much Hasbro?

Quote Originally Posted by blakegrandon View Post
    I am curious though, did Hasbro attempt to resolve this amicably with Cryptozoic before going to a lawsuit?
    " Wizards moved to preserve and protect its intellectual property. In March of 2014, Wizards contacted Cryptozoic
    and informed them of Wizards’ rights in the
    Magic game. Wizards offered multiple opportunities to Cryptozoic to resolve this matter short of a formal assertion."

I'm curious as to what these contacts entailed, not that they could or would ever share this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    So, being that most of us aren't lawyers... can anyone explain exactly why we shouldn't be worried?
    Because there's nothing we can do?
    -Rjselzler
    Keep name "Selz"

IANAL, but here are my comments as an layperson who likes to follow IP law and litigation.

It seems like any of the rule similarity claims are completely spurious; rules aren't subject to IP protection. If they were Words with Friends would have been sued out of the water by Hasbro ages ago.

Claiming the "look" of a magic card is part of the trademark is highly suspect too. If that's the case, why haven't they been aggressively pursuing just about every single TCG/LCG ever, as the holder of a trademark should. Many use the similar layout of cost, power/toughness, frames surrounding artwork, etc. If they make this claim against Hex and not all those other games, it's almost like this is a lawsuit intended to chill a competitor, rather than protect their IP.(psst, I think it is) Despite all the comments they collected about the similarity of M:tG to Hex, they didn't find one where someone was actually confusing Hex for M:tG(also having random Internet postings in a court filing is always hilarious).

The patent issue is probably the most valid of their claims, but there are some issues there. The patent was pretty broad, and if I remember correctly pretty much only taken out for protective purposes(so Patent Troll Inc. couldn't sue them in Mesquite, TX). Despite all the TCG's that have come out, it's only come up in litigation once, when Nintendo and WotC were having issues over the Pokemon licensing. And that was settled out of court. Who knows if the patent will actually survive the courtroom? If it does survive the courtroom, it won't survive past September. That's when the 17 year term is up.

I think the main result of this motion by WotC will be some wasted development money going towards lawyers(which will likely be offset by the free publicity). The secondary effect will be some massive ill will towards WotC in the Hex community, perhaps beyond if WotC/Hasbro are seen as the "bad guy".

I'll be interested in seeing CZE's response to this filing(the actual legal response, I doubt they will be commenting on the issue via any other method aside from a press release acknowledging it).

Until this settles I could see this hurting Hex's income... whos going to want to sink money into a game that could be voided from play?

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Unfortunately, the primary difference between Hex and MtGO is the PvE campaign, which hasn't been implemented yet. Mechanically, it's clear that Hex's rules and build are not just inspired by, but directly derived from MtG's. The turn components, the chain, the card types, etc. There is some development and innovation in the current iteration of Hex, of course: the tweak to threshold, permanent instead of transient cards, and the champions.

Champions may be a significant enough development to signify a different product, as it's an element of gameplay that's not really reproducible in MtG.
    I can imagine CZE will try and get PvE out in beta asap now so that they can provide their own evidence of how unique their game is. PvE footage will really set Hex apart.

Though if it's just a matter of proving any single element of similarity then I guess they are screwed and so is any other TCG if Hasbro decided to go after them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
    Until this settles I could see this hurting Hex's income... whos going to want to sink money into a game that could be voided from play?
    It doesn't impact my plan to spend money; I'll spend the same amount as before the news. Neither am I worried that I somehow "lost" my backer money.
    -Rjselzler
    Keep name "Selz"