Page 128 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1296

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Infini View Post
    Playing Hex right now is at it's best an unsafe move. Even if this takes n years to resolve, if at the end CZE loses, you effectively lost every dollar and every minute you spent on this game. I personally am afraid that CZE will lose, but that doesn't matter, you can't be sure of the outcome no matter which side of the argument you are on - which, again, means investing anything in this game right now is a risky move.
    This is a potentially valid conclusion based on the faulty premise that the only value you get out of playing a game is how much money you can get out of it at the end.

If after years and years of litigation CZE loses outright and the court orders them to shut down then I still have had the enjoyment of hundreds of hours of drafts, dungeons, raids, tournaments etc. I played around 100 hours of fallout new vegas on my PS3 before it died, if I trade it in at EB games for $5 (or whatever it goes for now) is that all it was worth to me?

If you invested in Hex (kickstarter or otherwise) with the primary goal of cashing out at a later date your advice is legitimate, owning Hex cards is now a riskier investment due to pending litigation. Regardless of the litigation if I was your financial adviser I would be recommending any number of other investments before Hex cards.

For myself I will continue to enjoy Hex and spend money when appropriate. I won't let my fear of the metaphorical PS3 dying prevent me from enjoying Hex in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Infini View Post
    Your wild conspiracy theory aside, unrest and uncertainty should already be here, due to the lawsuit being a fact alone.

Playing Hex right now is at it's best an unsafe move. Even if this takes n years to resolve, if at the end CZE loses, you effectively lost every dollar and every minute you spent on this game. I personally am afraid that CZE will lose, but that doesn't matter, you can't be sure of the outcome no matter which side of the argument you are on - which, again, means investing anything in this game right now is a risky move.

Doesn't this make you uncertain no matter who posts, or what is being posted ?
    Apparently you must live a sad life if return on investment directly correlates to your happiness. Have you ever been outside of your house before? Ever been to a movie? Played a video game? Etc. Pretty sure you lost every dollar and cannot get the time back...
    But did you have a good time doing it?

I love all this "the end is nigh" bullshit.

Even if it is, why is it a problem for you to have some good ol' entertainment for years in the meantime? If nobody supports the game like you and your Armageddon homies say to do then Wizards/Hasbro has won. Support the game and we will have a game to play until an impending outcome.

Gotta run, mom is waiting to drive me to school

Quote Originally Posted by Kroan View Post
    This makes me die inside. Eternal Darkness was one of the best games of it's generations (imho). Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain was very, very good and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes received excellent scores all around.

Sorry for the off-topic, but had to get this out :P Now carry on repeating random statements about law and this case!
    I'm surprised they actually made Twin Snakes. I thought it was on PS2 first and they were just in charge of porting it to Gamecube in which case it wouldn't count. Weird move for Konami to actually let someone else make that game. Especially them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Yeah, there have been a number of cases posted. The main ones people have been linking to are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Ea...._v._Epyx,_Inc. and and the various cases in this article : http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...important_.php. The Dataeast and Spry Fox cases even have the advantage of being in the same jurisdiction as the MTG/Hex lawsuit, whereas the one you're citing is from the fourth circuit.

I don't really think the case you're mentioning is useful at all. For one thing the actual offenses alleged are completely different -- the case you're citing involves direct wholesale copying, essentially game plagiarism, whereas what's alleged here is a much more touch-and-go sort of general overlap copyright infringement.

If Wizards ends up relying on the Silicon Knights case I'll be very confident in Hex's future.

EDIT:

On the topic of settlement and this case's future: it depends on what Wizards of the Coast wants. If Wizards wants to bankrupt Hex then they have no interest in settling the case for anything that won't bankrupt Cryptozooic. Conversely, Hex doesn't have much incentive to settle with them, either, unless they can get something that will let them survive as a company (licensing agreement, cosmetic alterations to the game, etc).

My guess is that this goes through the initial filings at least. At that point both sides will probably re-assess.
    Thank you for referencing those cases. I haven't done the research myself, I just used the Epic example because it came to mind. It wasn't meant to illustrate an exact factual scenario, more to show that big gaming companies have sued each other in the past over copyright claims and the results were disastrous for the losing side.

It's unlikely that Hasbro will cite the Epic case but they could. If there are better, more analogous cases they will cite to those first in support of their theory of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    I call shenanigans.

There is little to no factual information in osea101's posts, much insult, and "advice" that is potentially very damaging to CZE. At 7 total posts, to beat. If i wanted to do some guerilla work against an opponent in a frivolous law suit I started, this would be exactly the move I'd be making (fostering unrest and uncertainty here).
    I appreciate that you think I work for Hasbro. I wish, if I did I'd tell them to fire whoever is the quality director of MTGO. It's absolutely mind boggling how they haven't done anything to advance or grow the game in all these years.

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatts View Post
    This is a potentially valid conclusion based on the faulty premise that the only value you get out of playing a game is how much money you can get out of it at the end.

If after years and years of litigation CZE loses outright and the court orders them to shut down then I still have had the enjoyment of hundreds of hours of drafts, dungeons, raids, tournaments etc. I played around 100 hours of fallout new vegas on my PS3 before it died, if I trade it in at EB games for $5 (or whatever it goes for now) is that all it was worth to me?

If you invested in Hex (kickstarter or otherwise) with the primary goal of cashing out at a later date your advice is legitimate, owning Hex cards is now a riskier investment due to pending litigation. Regardless of the litigation if I was your financial adviser I would be recommending any number of other investments before Hex cards.

For myself I will continue to enjoy Hex and spend money when appropriate. I won't let my fear of the metaphorical PS3 dying prevent me from enjoying Hex in the meantime.
    This.

If you play Hex for entertainment, there is no reason to stop playing due to the lawsuit. The only reason the lawsuit would affect you is if you're speculating on the value of your collection. (Which is valid, just make sure you don't confuse the two.) Am I bummed that my "investment" is now more risky? Sure. But I'm here for the fun more than the chance to cash out later. As such, putting in enough money to get the fun out is worth it to me even if it ends up "wasted".

Quote Originally Posted by osea101 View Post
    I appreciate that you think I work for Hasbro. I wish, if I did I'd tell them to fire whoever is the quality director of MTGO. It's absolutely mind boggling how they haven't done anything to advance or grow the game in all these years.
    I think it's less him saying you work for Hasbro and more that you are trolling. The thread was close to dead before you posted and you basically stirred the hornet's nest again.

I think it's safe to say that not a single thing any of you guys post here will determine any guaranteed results of this lawsuit. In other words, nothing you guys say will solve this issue, and you'll just have to wait until it's over. You can predict, but you can't say for sure. Some of you don't seem to be aware of this.
    ~ Squire (Pack mule)
    "I carry your stuff oh great jerk- I mean... Knight!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    This.

If you play Hex for entertainment, there is no reason to stop playing due to the lawsuit. The only reason the lawsuit would affect you is if you're speculating on the value of your collection. (Which is valid, just make sure you don't confuse the two.) Am I bummed that my "investment" is now more risky? Sure. But I'm here for the fun more than the chance to cash out later. As such, putting in enough money to get the fun out is worth it to me even if it ends up "wasted".
    At this point, given how much I've already sunk into the kickstarter, I might as well draft like crazy to recoup as much play value as I can out of the money I've already spent :P
    -------
    "Surprise"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    If you play Hex for entertainment, there is no reason to stop playing due to the lawsuit. The only reason the lawsuit would affect you is if you're speculating on the value of your collection.
    I'm playing for entertainment and have no reason to stop playing due to the lawsuit.

But I gotta say.. having that hanging over the game's future encourages me to just enjoy playing with the cards I got from my Kickstarter backing, rather than spending any more money. e.g. it was always my intent to take out a VIP sub as soon as the game went into monetized launch - but now, I haven't done that.