Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1296

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

I think the more people that get into Hex, the less likely it is to be shut down.

Think of all of the legal bickering between Apple and Samsung. Now imagine that instead of just seeking to stop the sales of new phones, Apple was trying to make every phone already sold into a brick. That couldn't be good for Apple's PR image.

There are just under 20k backers of Hex. Assuming the game gets into open beta before any real movement occurs on the legal front, that number of "invested" players could really swell. A shut down at this point would be really bad for their PR folks. Hasbro's legal action is pretty unique in that it's basically asking the end user to give up what they "bought".

I know ownership doesn't really apply in the digital world like it does in the real world, but I'm sure almost every MMO player thinks of their characters/gear/loot/etc as their property, despite what the ToU for the games say. While plenty of MMO's have shut down due to attrition, I'm pretty sure none have been shut because of legal action. People loosing "their stuff" because of legal action would be a huge story in the MMO world.

The problem is with the lawsuit overhead, less people will be inclined to play much less pay to play the game. This is worsen by the seeming lack of things to do atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    I think the more people that get into Hex, the less likely it is to be shut down.

Think of all of the legal bickering between Apple and Samsung. Now imagine that instead of just seeking to stop the sales of new phones, Apple was trying to make every phone already sold into a brick. That couldn't be good for Apple's PR image.

There are just under 20k backers of Hex. Assuming the game gets into open beta before any real movement occurs on the legal front, that number of "invested" players could really swell. A shut down at this point would be really bad for their PR folks. Hasbro's legal action is pretty unique in that it's basically asking the end user to give up what they "bought".

I know ownership doesn't really apply in the digital world like it does in the real world, but I'm sure almost every MMO player thinks of their characters/gear/loot/etc as their property, despite what the ToU for the games say. While plenty of MMO's have shut down due to attrition, I'm pretty sure none have been shut because of legal action. People loosing "their stuff" because of legal action would be a huge story in the MMO world.
    I'm afraid a boycott (which I assume you're implying) won't be effective. Gaming boycotts don't work because gamers aren't organized or committed. While I'm sure many are content not playing MTG or MTGO for whatever personal reasons it's not so simple to boycott a company as big as Hasbro.

Their presence on the market place is massive. They own the IPs to popular board games like Risk and Monopoly. Further, they have partnered up to offer various Star Wars and Disney products. If you at some point plan on starting a family, or if you already have a family it's likely you're buying Hasbro products.

Unfortunately this litigation, while it's certainly interesting to follow, will likely only have a small negative impact on an already small fanbase. Even if more people get into hex (and I don't know why anyone would want to risk investing some serious dough in the game right now), it likely won't affect Hasbro's bottomline.

All you can do is hope for the best, this also arguably why settlement is in both parties' interest. Settlement means there won't be years of painful and resource-draining litigation and it also means Hex can move forward to build a community and a fanbase. I just don't see why anyone should invest serious cash into the game given how bad things can turn.

This guy is such a troll if I've ever seen one. Throwing in some "don't spend money on this game" lines in every single post while trying to seem unbiased to either party. He has existed on this forum just to try to downplay the validity of the game to people.

osea101 has a consistent personality in his digital trail so it's probably not someone related to wizards unless he was payed (lol) but the posts I've seen elsewhere and have seen here are complete asinine and a waste of time. Seems like a person more than willing to try and sabotage a games profits the best he can.
    Last edited by Axle; 05-26-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    osea101 has a consistent personality in his digital trail so it's probably not someone related to wizards unless he was payed (lol) but the posts I've seen elsewhere and have seen here are complete asinine and a waste of time. Seems like a person more than willing to try and sabotage a games profits the best he can.
    Well, he convinced me, I'm going to buy some platinum or whatever the currency is I waited too long for key for complicated TCG to leave it right now.

As for Hex being sued, WotC has nothing. I don't see ID Software suing Call of Duty, just because it's and FPS. For every similarity there are 2 differences.
    Last edited by flagoon; 05-27-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Devoted Emissary
    Yeah, while it's good to have differing opinions, I have to admit I don't usually pay much attention to posters who have a lot of negativity and only started posting after the lawsuit was announced.

If the game isn't for certain people, that's totally fine, but coming onto the forums to bash it or portray it as doomed doesn't really add any value to the discussion.

You should be looking at the arguments, not the post count. The main reason I started posting here was because I was tired of seeing rude and dismissive posts here just because they were a new poster. At least then people have to talk about the issues, not just shoot the poster. There are two sides here, both of which are a little murky and it just isn't clear what will happen. Osea11's posts can be argued against on merit, without abusing or defaming him/her just because no topic really inspired him/her to sign up.

This is a jury trial. The one thing you can count on is that there won't be a jury full of HEX backers.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    You should be looking at the arguments, not the post count. [..] Osea11's posts can be argued against on merit, without abusing or defaming him/her just because no topic really inspired him/her to sign up.
    Exactly. He states he has no experience, just finished his studies/exams. He analyzes some of the situation (nothing there). Then gives the unwarranted "advice" not to spend money on Hex.

It's the last part that's very fishy to me. Care to tell otherwise?
    Dungeon Crawler / Collector / Raid Leader

Keep Hibbernathy - Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild @HexTUC
    Running: TUC Arena of Myth Challenge Can you do a perfect 20-0 run with every single champion? Working on #32

Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    Exactly. He states he has no experience, just finished his studies/exams. He analyzes some of the situation (nothing there). Then gives the unwarranted "advice" not to spend money on Hex.

It's the last part that's very fishy to me. Care to tell otherwise?
    Why exactly is this important? He stated his case as he is allowed to.

You disagree, as you're allowed to as well.

Let's keep this impersonal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    Let's keep this impersonal.
    Go tell that to the guy who calls any detractor uneducated and jealous.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well