Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

Gigantisaur
    To celebrate, I think we should commission a new Dingler AA card.

Please please make it a parody to the idiot who suggested this lawsuit.

IN fact.

Sell it as another exclusive and help fund the legal battle.
    Last edited by Zomnivore; 05-14-2014 at 02:40 PM.

I think we all saw this coming. Hopefully CZE did as well and put aside some funds in anticipation of this. I don't think Wizards has a case here but that doesn't mean they aren't prepared to drag CZE through the legal system until they cry uncle.

Next Wizards is going to sue the inventor of Gin Rummy, because every turn, you draw a card. It's a clone!
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Christ they made a unicornpoopton of mistakes with this lawsuit. Bushido is nothing like Rage, yet they compare the two directly. No-one calls Resources 'Mana' either. Plus there are just straight up errors in there.

I only worry that it is a jury based trail - a jury is likely not going to understand the differences, especially when the Hasbro side will only ever point out the sames.

Also, they think CZE copied the plot? What a load of tripe. A single planet that was hit by a magic meteor. I never saw an MTG set even close to that. Plus all the sentient undead, the viscous bunnies, etc.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzhe View Post
    I also like how in their so called lawsuit that they also fail to mention in all the ways hex is different than magic, especially the fact taht it is a full fledge mmo with dungeons and raids that magic the gathering never had and may not ever have with magic online. Also to say that hex is a full copy of this game they would also have to say every other card game is too.
    They have no reason to mention any differences. The complaint is to paint a picture that they are right. Heck, they outright omit stuff left and right to make statements technically true, but only in the context they present it. However, this will probably help Hex more than hurt it.

Gigantisaur
    I think almost everyone now calls them shards. Shard screwed etc.

So its not even like there are active bouts of misspoken verbiage going on anymore.

It was a matter of needing 'clean' easy to speak words...nothing even remotely close to 'confusing' the products for one and other.

Oh, did you also see how they made a comment about the physical size of the cards?

Also it's interesting to note that one of our podcasters was outright mentioned in the lawsuit.

But seriously speaking, knowing how bad the copyright/patent system is in the US, this could be problematic imo.

Further, by its sales through the Kickstarter campaign, Cryptozoic has obtained in excess of two million dollars, a sum that constitutes one of a number of losses of related revenues Wizards could reasonably have expected to earn.
    Yeah, like I was going to pay them another cent. Self entitled assholes. I was never going to give them another cent, with or without Hex.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zomnivore View Post
    I think almost everyone now calls them shards. Shard screwed etc.

So its not even like there are active bouts of misspoken verbiage going on anymore.

It was a matter of needing 'clean' easy to speak words...nothing even remotely close to 'confusing' the products for one and other.
    I have never, ever heard "shard screwed" - but I have heard mana screwed lots of times.

I think people are letting their love of Hex get in the way of honestly evaluating the similarities. Gin Rummy? Give me a break.

BTW here's a nice link about copyright stuff from the US copyright website

Copyright laws and games
    Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.