Page 31 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

@Gatticus - does the Words With Friends vs Scrabble thing set some kind of precedent?

Unless they intend to drag this out and delay the release of Hex in hopes of out spending Cryptozoic on legal fees and bleeding Crypto dry, Hasbro/WotC don't have much of a case. Cryptozoic also made the WoW TCG, which was very similar to both Magic AND Hex, and WotC did nothing about it. A judge can look at that and say "Well, you did nothing in the past about it so don't come into court expecting relief now" with the legal term being estoppel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoppel

The reason they're acting now is because they are very worried that Hex is going to curb stomp them online. Magic's online version is an absolute piece of shit that hasn't been updated or improved in over 10 years and they haven't been inclined to do anything about it because "You'll play our shit pile of an online offering and you'll like it! What are you going to do? Where are you going to go?". Now that there is an option that is very much like Magic but with a much more modern and robust online game, WotC are worried.

All that aside, copyright law doesn't preclude someone else making a similar game based on similar principles.

"Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an authorís expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.
    Material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container may be registrable."

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

Most of the above info I got from members of my guild who know much more about this sort of thing than I do.

Gigantisaur
    Maybe Gatticus (or someone else) can answer this.

What (if any) are the chances of this settling out of court? I know the article said WOTC tried to contact CZE, but I think this still could be settled out of court.
    http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-4368...18944-blue.png

Grand King that loves collecting things twice because he thinks he's a pro player.

Quote Originally Posted by Patent 5662332
    In accordance with another aspect of the present invention, the step of executing a turn includes the step of tapping a mana card when it is used by turning the mana card approximately 90 degrees from an original position or orientation on a playing surface to thereby flag the card to all other players that the card is in use; and further including a step of untapping mana cards at the end of a turn by turning the mana card back to its original position to thereby unflag the card to all other players that the card is now available for use. Turning the card at other angles such as 30 degrees, 45 degrees, 60 degrees or other angle may also be done to flag a card. Flagging may also be accomplished by marking the card with nondestructive, removable markers or other similar method.
    I guess that about covers it. Indicating that a card is used by turning it at any angle or marking it somehow. That's my favorite part so far. Also why are they talking about untapping mana cards at the end of a turn? Maybe they meant the beginning?

I'm all for laws preventing people for selling copies. I believe the brilliant people that develop brilliant products deserve to get payed for it.

But this just saddens me.

I tried playing MTG:O after having backed HEX but before the alpha. MTG:O was not fun. HEX is.

I wish that would be enough of an argument to dismiss the complaint.

And thanks GatticusFinch for some legal insights.
    Kardh of Caerbannog

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardh View Post
    I tried playing MTG:O after having backed HEX but before the alpha. MTG:O was not fun. HEX is.

I wish that would be enough of an argument to dismiss the complaint.
    Ironically Kardh, I think this is actually the reason for the complaint.

I'm with you though that it's really sad they choose to try and take down the competitor rather than improve their own game to compete. I used to have a lot of respect for Wotc. No longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    I guess that about covers it. Indicating that a card is used by turning it at any angle or marking it somehow. That's my favorite part so far. Also why are they talking about untapping mana cards at the end of a turn? Maybe they meant the beginning?
    That was specifically regarding mana cards. Which do not exist in Hex once the resource card is played. No mana card is ever tapped for mana in hex.

I thought I would pop on here for a minute and give a couple of my opinions, what with me apparently being sucked into this. I didn't find out I was involved until I left Cryptozoic's office, of which I had a scheduled visit for the past couple months. I'm not ashamed to admit I nearly started crying at the thought of hurting Cory Jones and the rest of Cryptozoic as I drove my co-host, Josh, home. Just like Cory, I wear my heart on my sleeve and it devastated me to think of my words being used against them. I cannot apologize enough for that but I will surely try.

I apologize to everyone. I think we've shown our support over the past year with our backing via Kickstarter and hosting the podcast but sometimes, things can drag you down. I just hope to keep my head above all of this but it's going to be really hard. Like Cory, I love the community and I hope everyone can see my good intentions.

Gigantisaur
    In my opinion this isn't about infringement (why not post kickstarter 10 months ago, why not post after alpha 7 months ago) this is about fearing the competition now that the threat to their bottom line is credible and formidable; plain and simple. HEX drafts are $7 and uber fun. MTGO cannot drop draft prices without cannibalising their paper game. The MTGO Beta Spotlight has been met with resistance and compliant. This is an attempt to stop the competition and to destabilize Hex and its future economy. I am very sad but not surprised, I quit playing MTGO way BEFORE the Hex kickstarter because I was feed-up with the contempt they show their player base. I was considering to buy vintage masters but there is no way this is happening now. I will be buying Platinum tonight and hope CZE resist / win this fight.
    Last edited by hammer; 05-15-2014 at 02:02 AM.
    Buying Gold 120 gold per platinum details Here

IGN ALCHEMY KICKSTARTER BACKER MEMBER OF THE UNNAMED COUNCIL

Quote Originally Posted by OutlandishMatt View Post
    I thought I would pop on here for a minute and give a couple of my opinions, what with me apparently being sucked into this. I didn't find out I was involved until I left Cryptozoic's office, of which I had a scheduled visit for the past couple months. I'm not ashamed to admit I nearly started crying at the thought of hurting Cory Jones and the rest of Cryptozoic as I drove my co-host, Josh, home. Just like Cory, I wear my heart on my sleeve and it devastated me to think of my words being used against them. I cannot apologize enough for that but I will surely try.

I apologize to everyone. I think we've shown our support over the past year with our backing via Kickstarter and hosting the podcast but sometimes, things can drag you down. I just hope to keep my head above all of this but it's going to be really hard. Like Cory, I love the community and I hope everyone can see my good intentions.
    Awh man. Now I feel bad. Noone is actually blaming you for anything of this, man. I was just kidding. Don't take it too hard, it's just lawyers twisting your words... It's like cersei twisting the truth to get her brother Tyrion convicted. It's not your fault man

Hex Price - For all your price information!

Hex Rock League - Join the free to play Hex Rock League now!