Page 34 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
    Am I the only person here that thinks Hasbro and WotC are well within their rights of defending their patent(s) in a case where they feel they are being infringed? That's the entire point of having patents and patent rights in the first place.
    From the layman's point of view there is a difference between blatantly ripping of somebody else's original work - for example printing your own version of a Monopoly game, just calling it Monogamy or creating a game that gives you all sorts of added components and mechanics (including girl friends, concubines, etc.) and calling it Monogamy ;-).

Hex in my eyes takes the very basic TCG and expands it hundred-fold, making it cheaper to boot. It may look like a Rolex and also tell you time, but it's more accurate, space proof - and you can play games on it.

And I want that new luxury watch, for its added functions and I don't care about the Rolex.
    Dungeon Crawler / Collector / Raid Leader

Keep Hibbernathy - Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild @HexTUC
    Running: TUC Arena of Myth Challenge Can you do a perfect 20-0 run with every single champion? Working on #32

Obviously, CZE thinks it can win the fight or they would've paid off WoTC when they were first approached.

I sincerely hope the ruling does not affect the development of this game. It would be an epic tragedy. It would be like if Riot was sued by the creators of Heroes of Newerth and they had to shut production down before LoL was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashenai View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. I'm just a guy who plays a lot of Magic (google ashenai magic if you want), and I heard about Hex being sued on a Magic message board. I made an account here because I remembered hearing about the Hex kickstarter, and I was curious what you guys thought of the issue. I can't imagine a Wizards employee would possibly care what you guys think of this. Obviously you guys are going to be on cryptozoic's side; you're invested in the game, both emotionally and financially. It only makes sense that you'd want what's best for Hex, and you wouldn't care what's best for Magic.

I dunno anything about copyright/trademark law either, and I was hoping some of you might have some useful information. And some of you did! I feel like I learned a lot.
    Of course we don't care whats best for magic because magic doesn't care whats best for its customers by ripping us off in every way imaginable, especially us international guys who pay more simply because they dont use $, as well as having sub par software.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashenai View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. I'm just a guy who plays a lot of Magic (google ashenai magic if you want), and I heard about Hex being sued on a Magic message board. I made an account here because I remembered hearing about the Hex kickstarter, and I was curious what you guys thought of the issue. I can't imagine a Wizards employee would possibly care what you guys think of this. Obviously you guys are going to be on cryptozoic's side; you're invested in the game, both emotionally and financially. It only makes sense that you'd want what's best for Hex, and you wouldn't care what's best for Magic.

I dunno anything about copyright/trademark law either, and I was hoping some of you might have some useful information. And some of you did! I feel like I learned a lot.
    Here's the deal then. Hex has the potential to be better than MTG - not MTGO - MTG itself. WoTC is scared of that possibility; hence the lawsuit.

Okay, after reading the lawsuit and some comments here and on other forums/places, here's my take on the matter:
    I understand what Gatticus and some other people with experience with the law are saying, but I can't help but think about this from a video gaming perspective. I'm a PC gamer first, TCG player second. Literally every major videogame genre has VERY similar layouts and design philosophy. If a game has a mini-map, 90% of the time it would go on the top right corner. Why? There is no real reason, as Gatticus says it's just what people are accustomed too. All major FPS games have the same kind of "table" when pressing the Tab key. Name of player, kills, deaths, points. Again, no real reason to do it on that order - games stick to a formula that works. Are we also going to sue games for having the same basic keybinding layout?

When I first came upon Hex, my first thought was "Well, this is MTG 2.0, PLUS it's an MMO". Most PC gamers are now used to to games feeling and looking the same, as long as they offer a slightly different experience (a better one). I can see from more boardgame-focused sites that were linked in this thread previously that a lot of people are calling HEX a "Chinese rip-off". People seem to forget this is a digital game and the whole design dress of the game should matter, not just the way it's similar. The code is different since CZE didn't just steal code from WoTC, and that's what matters.

This is my opinion of experience with lawsuits in PC games - the only ones I know of that succeeded were in cases of copyright infringement - copying names, story, etc. This of course could all be completely wrong, please respond if you disagree.

Thanks.

50 bucks the card "Murder" is going to be used to try and help their case in a slide

edit: oh they already did rofl
    Last edited by Axle; 05-15-2014 at 05:28 AM.

The thing that is causing the largest harm to Hex RIGHT NOW is it's own community. panicky people freaking out like headless chickens. Creating an awful atmosphere to make anybody looking from outside in, making new players weary of approaching Hex, being cagey and defensive....

Please, stop this.

Wait to understand the facts. stop pretending you know two shits of what is going on right now...

Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
    Am I the only person here that thinks Hasbro and WotC are well within their rights of defending their patent(s) in a case where they feel they are being infringed?
    No I think they're within their rights to.

Mostly I'm just surprised that all the other TCGs didn't get sued. And in light of Wizards (as far as I know) ignoring those other games I think it's a bit of a dick move to single out Hex.

In practical terms It looks like Hex was written to avoid infringing on Magic's IP. They renamed all the keywords, games zones and resources (even things like the "stack" which is a reference to a mathematical concept). The World of Hex bares almost no resemblance to the Magic Lore beyond including humans, elves, and orcs, and that's more a Tolkien throwback than something Magic started.

That said, it's bloody obvious that Hex inherits the bulk of it's mechanics from Magic. But they also extended those mechanics in a way Magic is unlikely to ever mimic (digital only), and they have also made a number of alterations/innovations like the resource system and how Crush interacts with effects that prevent or replace damage that add up to a game which is practically fairly different.

The real surprise, Wizards have not gone after Blizzard yet. While the game has various tweaks to the concept to make it slightly more accessible, they also mimic a large portion of the MTG mechanics....