Page 45 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    Filed in April 3, 2013. http://www.bizapedia.com/ca/HEX-ENTERTAINMENT-LLC.html

Looks like just before Kickstarter.
    I suspected as much that points to them deciding to do that long before they were approached by Hasbro/WotC.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Gatticus- The reissue of the CCG patent has 6 independent claims. They are basically as follows:

1) A method for playing games where you a) construct a deck or deck-like group of components b) randomizing it and drawing some to form your starting hand c) taking turns paying for and playing cards (or other components)

2) A method of playing a TCG where the components include the rules, and a reservoir of cards and you a) collect cards by buying and trading b) play cards faceup and pay for them, and sometimes interact with other cards and c) discard to a max hand size.

3) A method of playing card games with rules suitable for multiple copies of cards, and the rules containing instructions on turn sequence and hand size, the method including: a) buying, trading or winning cards to create a reservoir of cards b) constructing a library by picking from your reservoir c) shuffling and drawing a hand d) taking turns in accordance with the rules.

4) Designating cards by rotating them (tapping them). Does not necessarily have to be 90 degrees clockwise.

5) Designating cards by rotating them 90 degrees clockwise.

6) Untapping all your cards at the beginning of your turn.

As far as I've ascertain, neither the original patent nor the reissue have ever had their validity tested before a court. Nintendo settled with them, with undisclosed terms. They've squashed a few smaller games.

Waiting for a response

Quote Originally Posted by Jaunt View Post
    Gatticus- The reissue of the CCG patent has 6 independent claims. They are basically as follows:

1) A method for playing games where you a) construct a deck or deck-like group of components b) randomizing it and drawing some to form your starting hand c) taking turns paying for and playing cards (or other components)

2) A method of playing a TCG where the components include the rules, and a reservoir of cards and you a) collect cards by buying and trading b) play cards faceup and pay for them, and sometimes interact with other cards and c) discard to a max hand size.

3) A method of playing card games with rules suitable for multiple copies of cards, and the rules containing instructions on turn sequence and hand size, the method including: a) buying, trading or winning cards to create a reservoir of cards b) constructing a library by picking from your reservoir c) shuffling and drawing a hand d) taking turns in accordance with the rules.

4) Designating cards by rotating them (tapping them). Does not necessarily have to be 90 degrees clockwise.

As far as I've ascertain, neither the original patent nor the reissue have ever had their validity tested before a court. Nintendo settled with them, with undisclosed terms. They've squashed a few smaller games.
    The patent issue is odd. I don't practice in the patent realm, and it's unlike any other aspect of the law (very engineerinf focused), but I don't see how some of those things are patentable. If they are, WotC has sure been arbitrary about protecting them.

Thanks. Patent issues rarely come up in my practice so I am definitely no expert on the subject. I know the law changed recently to allow post-grant patent challenges, but I don't know enough about it to say if CZE has standing to do that at this time.

As a point of order on the documents shown at http://www.scribd.com/doc/224144304/...tainment-et-al WotCs lawyers have written 14th of March instead of 14th of May. No idea if that is the document that was submitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    I would wager that they had to file for this in some way, and that it wouldn't be an overnight thing. I am fairly certain they would have done this shortly after the kickstarter, or possibly even before that.
    Happy to be wrong. Just remember the Hex Entertainment language popping up at the bottom of the forums and in game around March

This is so weird. This would include even vastly different games such as Dominion and other deck-builder games (of which CZE continue to make and release).

Man I hate this patent nonsense. It's creativity destroying.
    http://file3.guildlaunch.net/319924/...etonbanner.jpg

Guild Officer of Murder Inc. - Pro Player - Kill humans, socket eyes, raise necrotic...

Quote Originally Posted by ZacPhoenix View Post
    Man I hate this patent nonsense. It's creativity destroying.
    Definitely. Our patent rules are a disgrace. They are most used to stifle, crush, and destroy creativity and innovation. They need a complete overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    As a point of order on the documents shown at http://www.scribd.com/doc/224144304/...tainment-et-al WotCs lawyers have written 14th of March instead of 14th of May. No idea if that is the document that was submitted.
    If it was filed on March 14, CZE likely has a filing deadline coming up soon. I assume they were served or waived service at least a month ago.

If anyone is truly that gungho about it, all federal court records are available online for $0.10 a page. You can look up and print out whatever there is on this case. http://www.pacer.gov/
    Last edited by GatticusFinch; 05-15-2014 at 11:26 AM.