Page 53 of 130 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

This is an interesting comment from the Quiet Speculation article:

As a patent attorney, I can give some insight into possible challenges the MTG patent may face:

First, it’s priority date is its filing date of June 22, 1994. In patent law, there is what is called an “on-sale bar” that bars the issuance of a patent if the invention was “. . . in public use or on sale in this country, more than one year prior to the date of the application for patent in the United States. . .” Therefore, simplifying a bit, if MTG was in use or on-sale before June 22, 1993, then the patent is invalid.

Of course, Richard Garfield did a TON of testing of MTG before releasing it at Origins game fair, on July 13, 1993. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Edition_(Mag… and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_Game_Fair discussing the initial release. See http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.asp… for a discussion of the game development.

However, there is an R&D exception to the 102(b) public use or on-sale bar. It’s obviously complicated, but essentially if the public “playtesting” done by Richard Garfield prior to June 22, 1993 was absolutely necessary to the creation and invention of MTG, then the 102(b) public use or on-sale bar does not apply in this case. To challenge the patent, HEX may have to find out more details about each and every time the cards were seen in public prior to June 22, 1993. If they can show that any public sight of the cards occurred prior to that date, the patent is invalid.

It’ll be interesting, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GatticusFinch View Post
    The quote is meaningless as far as the lawsuit goes, so you might as well beat that horse to death now before it spawns 10 pages of posts.
    Indeed it is meaningless. I guess I was just trying to lighten the mood. Thanks, btw, for all the help explaining the legal stuff in this thread. It's been very much appreciated.

Devoted Emissary
    For a UI and semantic change, instead of showing a deck what if each player has a 'pool' in a chalice or something which your champion then pulls a random card to signify drawing a card from your deck? That way, it's no longer a deck, but a pool of effects and troops your champion can call upon to help them fight other champions.

Could even have some nice effects at the beginning of your turn to show a card rising from the pool of arcane liquid. Like a rippling and then the card slowly rising, dripping and then being added to your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodiron View Post
    For a UI and semantic change, instead of showing a deck what if each player has a 'pool' in a chalice or something which your champion then pulls a random card to signify drawing a card from your deck? That way, it's no longer a deck, but a pool of effects and troops your champion can call upon to help them fight other champions.

Could even have some nice effects at the beginning of your turn to show a card rising from the pool of arcane liquid. Like a rippling and then the card slowly rising, dripping and then being added to your hand.
    I don't care if Hex wins this suit in a landfall... I want this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodiron View Post

We lose sleeves then. Unless you see the back of the sleeve reflecting on the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridian View Post
    I like it, they're effectively providing Cryptozoic and Hex free publicity by doing this
    How true indeed! I had never heard of Hex until I saw a posting about the lawsuit. I immediately googled it and am now anxiously hoping to get a beta key.

Quote Originally Posted by Alturis View Post
    How true indeed! I had never heard of Hex until I saw a posting about the lawsuit. I immediately googled it and am now anxiously hoping to get a beta key.
    As many others have said, any publicity is good publicity. Spread the word!

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Alturis View Post
    I look forward to demonstrating our awesome game to you and many others, on Twitch and elsewhere.

I'm no lawyer, but I can show you and others what makes Hex both similar and wonderfully different, if you give myself (and other fellow livestreamers!) the chance.
    http://raptr.com/badge/8dcf0b428b1b1...2e135d/fss.png
    Cryptozoic Champion: CZE Volunteer #517 - South Bay Area, California
    I'm on Twitch! Follow me at twitch.tv/hackychannel
    HexTCG Grand King Team Illusive will definitely be playing Hex... as <Norvic Santos>?

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    Who said that? Oh let's see... Richard Garfield, Magic Pocket Players' Guide published 1994

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...y/feature/238b
    Cosmic Encounter... sooooooo good...
    It's a shame it's online reboot was such a flop.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasari View Post
    We lose sleeves then. Unless you see the back of the sleeve reflecting on the pool.
    I could see that, or the card could do a slow rotation. Or instead of sleeves, different vessel types/skins.

Personally though, I don't mind losing the sleeves. I wasn't planning on using them anyway. Even for the physical TCGs I play, I prefer using clear sleeves so I can see the card backs.