Page 76 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex sued by MTG

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    The more research I do the less I'm worried about the merits of the case. The copyright claims are weak, the "trade dress" stuff is ludicrous, and the patents for MTG seem deeply flawed in many ways. The primary fear seems to just be the financial drain on Hex, LLC from litigation costs.
    AKA Everyone go draft, buy packs, and enjoy the game!

Yes, Richard Garfield patented tapping. The patent, by my reading, runs out on June 22 of this year (2014). Wizards went back and tacked on some other parts to that same patent, which you can read here. The patent covers just about everything you could imagine in a TCG. It covers building decks, casting spells, the process of trading with others and more.

Wizards is saying that Hex violates a lot of its patents. Hex probably does. Here’s the problem:

Those patent claims are beatable.
    Those patents need to be laughed out of court. They are absurdly broad and do indeed cover every facet of a TCG.

The Transcended
    This is already linked in the OP of the other thread is it not? If not, send PM to Entropy and he'll add it.

Great article!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    This is already linked in the OP of the other thread is it not? If not, send PM to Entropy and he'll add it.
    It's linked throughout the thread numerous times.

Rock League Champion
    Hmpf, watched my first mtgo Video right now... this game looks so bad ... maybe it plays better than it looks, but i will hopefully never know it... go HEX !!
    Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer | IGN: Cernz

-=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-

Quote Originally Posted by mudkip View Post
    It's linked throughout the thread numerous times.
    whoops. my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernz View Post
    Hmpf, watched my first mtgo Video right now... this game looks so bad ... maybe it plays better than it looks, but i will hopefully never know it... go HEX !!
    Its even worse than you think. It doesn't look like the client has been updated in over 10 years, probably because it hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginaz View Post
    Its even worse than you think. It doesn't look like the client has been updated in over 10 years, probably because it hasn't.
    This IS the updated client rofl. It replaced an even worse looking one last summer I believe, around the time I quite magic to back hex. So yeah, I will never give another penny to that greedy company that charges you triple what hex does for a 10x worse experience.

Now that's something. I'm surprised some people here didn't play MtG and say the games are different. I've been playing Magic for close to 15 years now and well... the similarities are there, to say the least. I know nothing about law, but I'm afraid WotC is gonna tear Hex a new one with their team of ruthless lawyers.